Healthcare jobs in the DR?

joannieprin

Aug 7, 2007
I'm thinking about an extended visit to the DR, 6-12 months, and I'd like to work for part or all of that time. Does anyone have information on the licensing requirements for nurses or nurse practitioners in the DR? Also, are there work restrictions for foreigners? And what would be the best websites to locate healthcare jobs? Lastly, any info on approximate salaries and the taxes would be helpful.

thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While nurses are well paid and sorely needed in the US and Canada, in the DR they are at the very bottom of the food chain at hospitals and clinics.
There is an incredible scarcity of really trained RNs in the DR but those that did graduate have either emigrated or left the profession.

this is not something you could live on in your current situation.

HB

Feb 7, 2007
I know a nurse that gets 8000 pesos in Monte Plata, private clinic.

That's US$246. At such high amount I don't know if that is tax free too.

Margery

Aug 1, 2007
Joannieprin,

I am also a nurse. My specialty is employee health or occupational health nursing. Please let me know if you find out anything in regards to nursing in the Dominican Republic. My fiance and I are re-locating soon to the DR so employment is a BIG question in my mind. If anyone has any suggestions or info, let them roll!!!!

Thanks

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
The Gringa's Income

.... My fiance and I are re-locating soon to the DR so employment is a BIG question in my mind.
I am sure your Dominican husband to be will find you a job and you may be proud to become the breadwinner of the family.... :cheeky:

Janin

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Folks, the nursing profession in the DR is something akin to nursing before the 1st world war. Nursing is not respected as a valuable profession in its own right yet. If you want to nurse, it is old style, e.g., carrying bedpans and changing bandages. (Perhaps not as bad as that, but anyway..).

Unless you want to come and upgrade the nursing profession, you'll be better off working in some other field.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I coulden?t have said it better myself

Folks, the nursing profession in the DR is something akin to nursing before the 1st world war. Nursing is not respected as a valuable profession in its own right yet. If you want to nurse, it is old style, e.g., carrying bedpans and changing bandages. (Perhaps not as bad as that, but anyway..).

Unless you want to come and upgrade the nursing profession, you'll be better off working in some other field.

Chris couldent be more on the money with his answer...

joannieprin

Aug 7, 2007
Well, thanks for all the input. I can't say that it is encouraging, but I guess it is time to think about a career change, along with a life change.

BTW, how do most ex-pats of non-retirement age make money here? Is is just through tourism or their entrepreneurial ventures?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Most run their own businesses, or work in free zones (telesales between 20-30,000rd$ a month), in hotels as reps or guest services, time share sales, or once their spanish is good in Dominican or ex pat companies based here.

I agree with Chris, when I was in hospital the nurses just did bed baths, and changed drips. Nothing else. They were paid 8000rd$ a month in Plaza de la Salud. Maybe private clinics in tourist areas pay more. And as an idea, I know the new posh apartment blocks in Juan Dolio are looking for some form of permanent medical staff - not sure if nurses or a doctor.

mrc1330

Aug 11, 2007
How do you get to do TELESALES? what is that? what kind of qualifications are needed for that and is it ONLY commission?

Margery

Aug 1, 2007
I'm thinking about an extended visit to the DR, 6-12 months, and I'd like to work for part or all of that time. Does anyone have information on the licensing requirements for nurses or nurse practitioners in the DR? Also, are there work restrictions for foreigners? And what would be the best websites to locate healthcare jobs? Lastly, any info on approximate salaries and the taxes would be helpful.

thanks

Joannieprin,

Check out the US Embassy in Santo Domingo. They currently have a part time position posted for a nurse. The salary is exceptionally good, too, over $40,000 US dollars or $544,000RD!!! The posting has a contact person and job description! Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

P.S In reply to Janin, I will let my future Dominican husband to be help me find a job or better still--let HIM be the BIG breadwinner!!!!!:cheeky:

Feb 7, 2007
$40.000 dollars is 1.320.000 pesos.
544.000 pesos is 16.500 dollars.

So which one is it? 'Cause it's quite a difference in numbers...