rate the golf courses

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a friend that wishes to spend several weeks with his wife in the DR this winter. He is an avid golfer-low handicap 4-5. His wife just want to worship the beach and sun god. Where would be the best spot for him to go to so he can play at least 4 different courses. I was thinking Punta Cana, and suggestions.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Punta Cana:
Punta Espada, La Cana, Punta Blanca. All within a one hour south-north drive.

La Romana (Casa de Campo):
Teeth of the Dog, Dye Fore. Less than two hour drive from Punta Cana going west.

They could split their vacation between Punta Cana and La Romana.

Probably an arrival by one airport and departure by another could be arranged. AA flies into both airports.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have a friend that wishes to spend several weeks with his wife in the DR this winter. He is an avid golfer-low handicap 4-5. His wife just want to worship the beach and sun god. Where would be the best spot for him to go to so he can play at least 4 different courses. I was thinking Punta Cana, and suggestions.
No Brain'er Bob,

Your friend hires (or buys) two decent sized tents, ONE he erects on a beach somewhere convenient to an airport (for first night relaxation) then he stocks it full of "things" the wife will need for two weeks.

The second tent is big enough for HB, myself & possibly one other (to make a foursome) & we go from Punta Cana , via Metro & Guavaberry through Las Lagunas, up to Jarabacoa, on to Playa Dorada & then on to Playa Grande. Using the tent as out base each night & ready for an early start the next day. We could then do a return trip doing 2 or 3 other courses!! We will supply the beers & transportation to cut his costs a wee bit!! Make sure he gets his FedoGolf card before getting here though - it will save him a chunk of money I think!! ~ Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I will have something up very shortly (within a week) on DR1 that rates and reviews every golf course in the country, along with hole photos etc. Plus a few other goodies.

Nobody has done what we are about to release, it will become the "must read" site for golfers coming to the DR.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Great news on the new golf section Robert. For good course information there is a book on Dominican Republic golf courses entitled Lihn's Golf Guide - Dominican Republic. Just recently published and includes info on all of the new Punta Cana courses and on all the other courses on the island. Picked mine up at Playa Dorada Pro Shop for $20. Nice pics and good course info. Fedogolf card is a must if you are planning on playing more than a couple of rounds. Tom

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Several weeks in this golfing paradise.

Okay. We start in Puerto Plata. Some All-Inclusive, no matter. You play Playa Dorada first to get your legs. Then you get in touch with Grahame and go to Playa Grande.
then you get in touch with me and come play Las Aromas. A trip to Jarabacoa is maybe, but it is a beautiful course.

Then you move to Santo Domingo, and instead of beach for the day, you allow the wife to go shopping....
You play Las Lagunas, and perhaps we can arrange a round at the Country Club.

Then to Juan Dolio. You will play Guavaberry and Metro and then go to La Romana.
At Casa de Campo you will be able to play Teeth of the Dog and the Links. And the now-getting-famous Dye Fore. Maybe you make a friend or two and get an invite to play La Romana CC.

then it is off to Punta Cana/B?varo. You can play any of the nearly 20 courses out there and your wife will be oh so happy with the beaches.

My bet is that you will truly love Playa Grande or Punta Espada (Cap Cana)

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
So Robert,
who are the rating experts you are going to use?
will be a welcome addition indeed. It's time people see that the
DR is an extremely fine place for golfers. Playa Grande is
THE best course I've ever played or seen in my life. Beats the
socks off Pebble Beach which so famous, IMHO.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Dang that sounds good HB and BB!

Maybe I should plan that trip for when we get back this year! My wrist is doing much better (no surgery either :) ) and I've enjoyed the times I've been out this summer here in Canada (now if we can forgo the tent for a comfy bed somewhere not too expensive, PapaTony would be a happy camper!).

If OHIP will give me back more than the 10% for the medical bills from this past winter I might even be able to afford it!

(Ahem HB....how's the translation coming??)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So Robert,
who are the rating experts you are going to use?
will be a welcome addition indeed. It's time people see that the
DR is an extremely fine place for golfers. Playa Grande is
THE best course I've ever played or seen in my life. Beats the
socks off Pebble Beach which so famous, IMHO.

We sent the same golfer to play and rate every course in an effort to keep the first set of ratings consistent. Our reviewer is not Tiger Woods, but he's pretty good and knows what a golfer wants to read and know about a course.
He highlights the good and the bad, plus rates it based on value for money.

We didn't want a Tiger Woods as we felt a regular golfer would make a better reviewer as most people that play the courses and read this site are regular golfers. Other golfers will be able to add their own reviews, ratings etc.

One tit bit. He has played all over the world and in his opinion, Punta Espada (Cap Cana) is one of the best courses he has ever played on. After reading the review and seeing the photos, I might take up golf myself :)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
etc.

One tit bit. He has played all over the world and in his opinion, Punta Espada (Cap Cana) is one of the best courses he has ever played on. After reading the review and seeing the photos, I might take up golf myself :)

Let's see if that still hold once and Tom Fazio (more, more) and Nick Faldo (and more) 'currently under construction' projects are finished in 2008 :squareeye

..but hey, that type of top notch diversity running for the title of the greatest Dominican golf course should be great business for Bok's current working project on behalf of dr1, for dr1 in general, and for the country as a whole.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
...and more.

newpicturezy0.png