Dominican night club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot of BS with a grain of truth. I did not read the article, but know what it says.

Basically, if you dress like a NYC rapper, you do not get in. If you have the "gangsta" look down pat, you do not get in. It is a class thing, not a race thing. If you have class you get in, if you do not, you don't...

Is there discrimination? Yes, I have seen it and experienced it with kids I helped raise.
One little girl was stopped at the door of a hotel in POP many years ago. She was with us, not as a servant but as one of the kids. We raised hell and walked out of there.

However, in Santo Domingo, those bars and night spots are there to make money and turning away people because they are black won't cut it...

Of course, i can be wrong, but like Robert said in another thread with similar content: this embassy bulletin just made Loft all the richer!!

HB

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
The botton line is that if you are dress like a CHOPO no matter what skin color you are they won't let you in.

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
You may both be correct, however with the poularity of the New York Post, that type of report will deter some people from wanting to visit the DR. The article makes the DR sound kind of like a pre-aparteid South Africa.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Only some people will get turned off - not all... If an article turns you away from an ENTIRE country, guess you are too shallow to swallow the waters in DR. Dont want them there anyway for that matter!

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
The post, please who reads the post the janitor who lives in the south bronx pj's???
If you mention the Times or Wall street Journal, "them I will say wach out DR".
As I said if you dress like a CHOPO you won't be let in.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Actually Tallman, plenty of people read it!! this might be my first letter to a newspaper...

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Only some people will get turned off - not all... If an article turns you away from an ENTIRE country, guess you are too shallow to swallow the waters in DR. Dont want them there anyway for that matter!

IMOH the subtitle of the article "Racism against dark skinned Dominicans has become an epidemic on the island" is a very harsh and inaccurate statement for the newspaper to make. However, due to the bluntnes of it think it would scare off many people who have never been to the DR before.

Actually the only reason I was aware of the web article was from reading an urban entertainment blog that posted a link to the article quoting: "Dominican clubs don't let black people in".

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I know that Newyorkers do not consider The Post a credible newspaper anyway. so Tallman, you are right!

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
I would like to hear from brown skin and dark skin Dominicans regarding this article and other issues involving skin color in DR.

That is, IF this thread can stay open long enough. :ermm:

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
I know that Newyorkers do not consider The Post a credible newspaper anyway. so Tallman, you are right!

I grew up in New York and work in New York. Everyone reads The Post. People may not buy it out right and, It may be over someone's shoulder on the PATH or MTA, or while on line at a deli, or reading one that's left on the table next to you, but everyone reads it.

Now whether NYers admit to reading it is another story ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I once went to TRIO with my dark skin friend-boy. He is a basketball player, 6.5' feet tall, so the bouncer had to look up at him. I think the bouncer felt a bit threatened and didnt want to let him in at first. Then when he saw me (I was behind my friend) he just ask him to take off his earrings. Such drama - almost embarrassing... I felt the prejudice that day. Stupid - cause my friend probably made more money than the owner anyday!

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
I would like to hear from brown skin and dark skin Dominicans regarding this article and other issues involving skin color in DR.

That is, IF this thread can stay open long enough. :ermm:

I don't see why the thread would get closed. It is not debating whether or not racism exists in the DR, but rather how inaccurate information about racism in the DR may affect potential tourists decision to visit the country.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Sorry but you do realize

I grew up in New York and work in New York. Everyone reads The Post. People may not buy it out right and, It may be over someone's shoulder on the PATH or MTA, or while on line at a deli, or reading one that's left on the table next to you, but everyone reads it.

Now whether NYers admit to reading it is another story ;)

You do realize that the majority of the vistors, do not care about NYC right. Im sorry but lots of people that live in the USA could care less about what NYC thinks. :bunny:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Personally I really don't see it and Santiago is a very "light" town. I get the red carpet treatment when I go there and EVERYBODY knows me. Most of the time, I am the only Black person in the place, I don't get any dirty looks or bad feelings. In Brooklyn, NY. It's the same thing, no problems what's so ever and the majority of owners and patrons are from the Cibao region. What happens in one club, does not necessarily constitutes the attitudes of an entire country. I remember when I was flirting with a "white" Dominicana and she switched my ticket to First Class and I was seated next to an upper class Dominicana who owns numerous pharmacies in Santiago, she was very pleasant, we conversated the entire trip.

The entire country shouldn't be painted with one broad stroke of the brush.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
You do realize that the majority of the vistors, do not care about NYC right. Im sorry but lots of people that live in the USA could care less about what NYC thinks. :bunny:

But the thread began with with a question regarding an article in the NY Post. In keeping with that, and following up on another readers comment about the NY Post, I responded with my take on the NY Post.

Why turn this into something else?

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Personally I really don't see it and Santiago is a very "light" town. I get the red carpet treatment when I go there and EVERYBODY knows me.

Ricardo,

Do you think your status as an African-American tourist (key words here American and tourist) allow Dominicans to distinguish your color from your money? Do you think if people didn't know of your American ancestry and that you had money, you would be treated the same? Just a question.

I too agree the article was a bit on the dramatic and overly presumptous, but one would be lying to say a "phenomenom" does not exist here. The same things happen in the USA everyday, the difference is we have a constitutional safeguard in place that protect our rights to such treatment.

Having certain persons of certain hues meet a "higher" criterion to enter a public establishment versus other certain persons of certain hues isn't classism--it's something else.

That being said, IMO, Dominicans in general are not themselves prejudice, especialmente when even light-skinned Dominicans don't have to scratch to deeply "detras la oreja";).

--Exxtol

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Blah, blah, blah....

This has been covered on DR1 recently, use the search function.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.