Avoid: Tropical Clubs - Sue?o Resort

Malevolent

Apr 7, 2007
A lot to say, but I will keep this post short;

The hotel in it self might sound great, and look nice - from a distance!!

* We got sick by the food - even after travelling the entire DR for a month!!
* They try to con you for more money if they get the chance
* The water in the showers, and zink taste feets and sometimes sweat!! (Really salty!)
* The rooms are cleaned, but just in a few places.. There are often sand on the sheets when you get there.. We had two different rooms, and the same problem in both!
* Old cookies in a drawer - suggests a clean - maybe???
* The air condition went from bad to worse
* There are no place to hide from the sun when you sit by the pool, or spend some time by the sea.. A few palm trees, but that's it!
* The bathroom smelled like monkeys
* The manager was a pig in disguise.. He must have been!!

Well... I wouldn't recommend the place to ANYONE!
Basically only French and Germans that visits this hotel, but there are occasionally other guests.. Anyhow.. Please keep out if you don't want your stay to feel - not really great! Most people that spends that kind of money would love to be satisfied with what they paid for.

Our stay at hotels at 10% of the cost, was actually BETTER - and they were NOT A.I. hotels!!

Well... Do as you please, but my advise would be to keep out!

/Peter

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
"The bathroom smelled like monkeys"

LOL!!!

I stayed there in December for a couple of nights...and for what I paid, $60 a night for a big suite with massive jacuzzi tub and buffet breakfast, I sure wouldnt complain...I didnt notuice a cleanliness issue, the people at the front desk were awesome, offered help many times in my short stay with taxis, exchanging dollars, suggesting places to go, etc... there was a second hotel connected to the property that was part of the same company... was AI and more money, maybe that's where you stayed?

If you know of a hotel in Punta Cana for, as you said, "10% of the cost" of this place, let me know... for $6 a night in the most expensive area of the country...I'll take a little monkey odor and sand in my sheets!!

Malevolent

Apr 7, 2007
DavidZ: Well... We lived at the Sue?o resort. They have three different resorts under Tropical Clubs, and we lived in the one at the end of the walkways (the one with the not so square-formed pool). :glasses:
And - regarding the price. Yes - we paid $160 as MEMPHISJ stated. Missed that in the post.. (sorry!).. We paid that amount just to get a room that was MORE than OK. Can't say that we got that though! And... About 10% of the cost... This was in the DR.. the country as a whole.. 16 dollars you could find rooms for in many places - and from what you expect for the amount that you actually pay - the 16 dollar rooms where much better. :)

Thank you for your response!

MemphisJ: Thank you for the input, and your statment about our trip report as well. Appreciated!! ;)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in 13 years living on the island i never found a hotel, even bed & breakfast, for $16.- a night.
specially here in the punta cana area a bed & breakfast overnighter is 30-60.- US.
for $16.- you can get a room for some hours(maybe the whole night) at cabanas, but i wouldn't call that hotels or recommend to a visitor in the country, on those spots you should know the places to stay there.
have fun
Mike

Malevolent

Apr 7, 2007
Mike: There are lots of hotels etc. for around $16 - and as we wrote this was a semi-budget-trip.. We found places to stay in for as little as $10, but that is called BUDGET - for real! If you don't LOOK for budget, you won't find any - and.. Honestly, most of the hotels were recommendable. And - it certainly was not needed to know the places to stay at.. There has to be SOME trust for humanity, and new people. I'm not one that is easily taken for a ride.. It happens - sure, but I put my self out there as well..! :)

It's not that bad.. The places we stayed at were more than fine, and.. the 10% I mentioned was not a precise amount.. The hotels could have been to $20-25 as well.. I was just trying to make a point.. No offence! :)

Anyhow.. I would never recommend Sue?o Resort as I think that you don't get the value for what you actually pay. You DO get what you pay for (and more) when you find the budget hotels where you just pay $15 or even $30 if you so will.. :)

That's what I was trying to say..

Take care!

/Peter

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no prob Peter,
you're the kind of traveller like i'm myself when on new territory, but that way is not recommended to everybody visiting a new country.
for the sueno resort, i did not even like it when they opened it the first time, specially for the beach. i work on the ocean every day, so the first thing i realized there been the little rocks in the water close to the beach, cutting your feet.
when you're back in town??, i always like to meet new people.
have fun
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i love that report of malovent(click the abpove link), a really top one.
peter and christine did explore the island in a way not 1% of the visitors does, and no tour rep ever did.
2 points to disagree:
the taxi rates they mentioned are actual all over the country, but not on the east coast, there you pay a $10-12.- minimum fir the shortest distance.
the beautiful beach they found in sosua on the north coast:
i know it, and it is nice, but it looks like on their way from punta cana to bayahibe and crossing boca chica they did not see any beach, they are def more beutiful on the south east and the east, but everybody has his taste.
what i wondered about been the bachata dancing, it sounded like they both love that a lot, also watching locals dancing it, like me myself.
you don't have to travel the whole island from east to south to find a place to watch natives dancing bachata on the north coast, because that you can see on the entire island everywhere, on any public place, every bar, every spot along all streets where people stop and have a good time.
a really great report of an extraordinay vacation.
keep that up.
thanks guys
Mike

Malevolent

Apr 7, 2007
what i wondered about been the bachata dancing, it sounded like they both love that a lot, also watching locals dancing it, like me myself.
you don't have to travel the whole island from east to south to find a place to watch natives dancing bachata on the north coast, because that you can see on the entire island everywhere, on any public place, every bar, every spot along all streets where people stop and have a good time.

Thank you for your comments and kind words, Mike..
Just a reply to the bachata dancing.

Me and Christine has been dancing bachata for almost a year in Sweden (which we originates from), and have been doing two boot camps. (We arranged them - just to bring the bachata to Sweden as it is not very big here). The quest we had when going to the Dominican Republic, was to see and learn how to do the native bachata dancing.

But it really took quite some time.. We started out in Bayahibe.. Asked people, and looked in every steet corner, but all we heard was the music that we love so much.

We went on to Boca Chica - and asked restaurant owners etc... Still no luck... Not until we arrived to Santo Domingo we found bachata dancing for the fist time, but.. Not too fun to watch though - as it was in a disco, and noone really do anything but at the most basic steps mostly out of beat! :(

It was great to see that there ARE bachata dancing though.. We asked around... a bunch of times, but noone knew where we could find people that dance... Bars, restaurants, discos.. everything... It felt SO weird as we'd imagined that there were supposed to be dancing in every corner... almost!!

Not until we met "Planner" (from this forum), we could finnaly see bachata beeing danced at a disco/bar. It seems like you really have to know where to look, because.. Trust me... We tried!!! We really threw our selves in every direction, and asked ANYONE.. But couldn't find very much our selves.

Anyhow.. After meeting Planner, we learned the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC BACHATA, and we will be practicing THAT until we set up our next bachata Boot Camp here in Sweden. Hopefully we'll be okey with trying to teach how to really dance bachata... Bachata done the REAL way!! ;)

Cheers!

/Peter

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sounds like you and christine are real dancing freaks, specially for our Bachata, great. next time when your in town drop me a mail so we can hang out to watch some dances.
warm caribbean greetings to the bit mor cold european north.
Mike

Malevolent

Apr 7, 2007
Thank you, Mike - and thank you for the invitation... We will of course drop a message if and when we will be near by! :)

/Peter