Best Chocolate Shops

suesmith

Aug 9, 2007
I will be visiting DR in several months and love to sample local chocolates where ever I travel. It seems there is some wonderful cocoa grown in DR and I am wondering if there are some good chocolate shops. Thanks!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey I live here and I want to know too.

I have heard that Carrefour in Santo domingo has a variety of chocolates - good luck.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Xocolat is a gourmet chocolate company belonging to the Munne family with branches in Santo Domingo.

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
I would like to know if they do some kind of a tour to the general public on how these Cacao beans are made.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
windeguy, I concede that Xocolat's gourmet range looks better than it tastes. I spoke to the owner once and she explained that because of the hot weather the sugar/fat/milk balance had to be slightly different.

DRExplorer, there may well be a 'ruta del cacao' in certain cacao-growing areas. The coffee farmers do it and it is a great day out. They take you on a tour of the fields, explain the process, and give you lunch - and coffee of course.

Contact CONACADO, the cacao-producers association.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
It would be nice if a Swiss/Italian/Belgian company could come and establish a factory, since the RD produces cacao.