Kat Deluna is Dominican

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
So this little girl is Dominican. She was born in the Bronx, grew up in DR and when she came back lived in Newark. I love all the Dominican flags she used in the video! Hopefully this is like Aventura, suddenly being Dominican and loving Bachata was in for many kids that didnt know it existed.

BTW - heard her sing acapella and the chick can blow - so I'll get the CD not only to support Dominican talent, but she may have something good on it.

Enjoy!

YouTube - Kat Deluna feat. Elephant Man - Whine Up [Video Premiere]

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Nice....I just hope she goes the Beyonce way not the L'il Kim route, a more classy look.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
She's only 19 and doesnt have glamorous mother or father that have been grooming this career since she was 5!!

But like you, I pray for her too. She can whine it up like a pro tho!! ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The Boogie Down Bronx

She sounds great and being from the DR and The Bronx is a big plus.

Que viva las raza!!!!!:bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Shame there is no music for her to sing!!
Seems no good songs for women to sing anymore. Strut "it" and shake "it" and "move it all about" seems to be the only things going...

If she has a voice, she should look for better mediums...

Yean, I know, I don't know crappola about the new music, but it is misogynistic, too blatantly sexual (not that I have naything against sex!!), and seems aimed at just one thing!!

Of course, Newark is such a "nice" town....like you could raze it and not miss it!!!

Sorry, feeling angry today...

HB

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Seems no good songs for women to sing anymore. Strut "it" and shake "it" and "move it all about" seems to be the only things going...

Yean, I know, I don't know crappola about the new music, but it is misogynistic, too blatantly sexual (not that I have naything against sex!!), and seems aimed at just one thing!!

Of course, Newark is such a "nice" town....like you could raze it and not miss it!!!

HB
Angry seems to be an understatement. I think some one peed in your corn flakes. lol

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
She sounds great and being from the DR and The Bronx is a big plus.

Que viva las raza!!!!!:bunny:

...street cred, is that what you're talking about? That angles' getting a little played, don't you think? Just ask Michael Vick and Pacman Jones...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

HB

In other words, this whole ghetto thing does not and should not represent anyone from "LA RAZA" that has any talent.

She may have talent, but that video has "Modern-Day Minstrel" written all over it.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Well, she has been compared to Christina Aguilera and such. She can sing for real and those who can sing usually stay somehow. Unless you are Mariah or Whitney - what a shame... but at least Christina got dirty and cleaned up and is still sticking.

Billy - you did sound a little off on that post... Hope your weekend was good enough to make you feel better!

Berzin - you only need street cred if you are rapping! I dont think a girl singing about winding her body needs everyone to know she has dodged bullets or doesnt have 20 babies. Michael Vick? Cant even compare these two situations....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Listened to her new single. Pretty basic beat, the typical raggaeton stuff...but, hey, that is what kids are listening to these days..I have one CD of raggaeton for the car and two more on order from my "suppliers!!"

Abre la puerta, sube la radio, que nadie se entera de lo que vamos a hacer....

HB

fiestahoy

Oct 17, 2007
I saw her in concert at teatro Rialto last september in Montr?al, she was on stage with Elephant man. Good show !

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
She's cute, but I still have every expectation of soon marrying and having muchos hijos con mi amor Zoe Saldana. ;););)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I was at the awards and watched her performance, she was pretty good, didn't like her choice of outfit for the performance but she knows how to handle herself on stage.

the following bit of info. is from her website;
Today, her sound is a colorful canvas of strokes blending hip hop, R&B, meringue, pop, Latin jazz, electronic, and dance. The bi-lingual songstress does it all.

domicanita

Mar 7, 2007

HB

I could not agree more. She sounds like she has a great voice.
Leave the sexual explicit stuff for people that have no talent. She is also too young for that. Aim to be the next Celine Dion or Laura Pausini, but not the next Britney Spears.

Julio Tulio

Mar 12, 2008
She's too r and b ish too crossover to dominican/puerto rican fans.She needs more reggaeton,salsa and merengue-bachata-perico sounds...with or without English language lyrics.

She sounds too "black" for most Dominicans right now..unfortunatley.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
She's too r and b ish too crossover to dominican/puerto rican fans.She needs more reggaeton,salsa and merengue-bachata-perico sounds...with or without English language lyrics.

She sounds too "black" for most Dominicans right now..unfortunatley.

As "unPC" as that sounds it is too true.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Are you guys kidding, she created a mega-hit with "Whine Up", she's doing just fine with her fan base, which includes Europe, forget about crossing over, her formula works as it is.

Just because she's Dominican that doesn't mean she should be performing some bachata or merengue song in some bar in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Are you guys kidding, she created a mega-hit with "Whine Up", she's doing just fine with her fan base, which includes Europe, forget about crossing over, her formula works as it is.

Just because she's Dominican that doesn't mean she should be performing some bachata or merengue song in some bar in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Bien dicho Ricardo...........we have enough bachata singers already and women don't do good in that genre.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006

Julio Tulio didn't say she should be singing bachata or merengue, but that she doesn't appeal that much to Dominicans and Ricans without a less "black" sound.