Extinct iguanas for sale in front of local police...

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I just saw something that almost made me cry. Coming back from Barahona, in the area called Boqueron, just before Cruce de Ocoa, I saw two guys each selling an iguana. The unbelievable thing is that they were doing it right at a military check up point and the military personnel there were doing nothing about it. I wanted to stop and scream at them but thought better of it since nothing would've been gained, it goes on all the time.

I can't believe something like this is happening and no one is doing anything about it. Isn't there a law against capturing and selling animals in danger of extinction? such as iguanas and parrots?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
That's a good question, I have seen them selling those green ones also, but the ones I saw today were huge, like the ones in Lago Enriquillo. Next time I'll stop and check them out, but I don't think the green ones grow that big.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
Marilyn on our side of the Mona Channel the greenies get to be about 4 feet long. They are a plague and since they are not en endemic species the DRN has told everyone to kill them since they are a threat to the other iguanas.

Still they grow like wildfires...

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Marilyn on our side of the Mona Channel the greenies get to be about 4 feet long. They are a plague and since they are not en endemic species the DRN has told everyone to kill them since they are a threat to the other iguanas.

Still they grow like wildfires...

That makes me feel much better!!!

Thanks