Steeling electricity in Costambar

Status
Not open for further replies.

loosinghope

Aug 13, 2007
hi all, i'm new. i've been reading news and posts on the site for a while, but i'm just now joining b/c i need help. i live part time in costambar, 10 minutes away from puerto plata.

for a long time now i have observed a particular building in my area steeling electricity, and taking part in different other types of illegal activities (theft & drugs). my building is close by and i don't feel safe walking down the street. i feel like it's just a matter of time before me or one of my neighbors is the next target.

My question to you all is, is it ok to steel the electricity? can any of this activity be reported? will the APC turn a blind eye? (Note: the APC is the association in costambar)

Is there anything i can do?

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
A law was just aproved a fe weeks ago, that criminalizes electricity theft. I would be you and I would report it. Maybe you should even take pictures, but make sure that you speak with everyone in your community and bc as we say in Spanish, la union hace la fuerza.

loosinghope

Aug 13, 2007
thanks, the problem is that these people intimidate everyone in the area b/c the property manager walks around with a gun at his waist all the time. nobody wants to cross him b/c they are afraid of the backlash. i thought the days of the mafia were gone, but now i find them right here next to my home.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I think Rocky offers sound advice. Unless you can be 100% sure of remaining anonymous, I wouldn't report them.

BTW, welcome to DR1.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
How do you know the water in Costambar is polluted? Have there been tests? I've never heard that

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How do you know the water in Costambar is polluted? Have there been tests? I've never heard that
There could hardly be a more polluted area of water, than the POP port.
You just have to stand next to it and the smell can turn your stomach.
The ocean waters move from East to West, and the very first thing the putrid port waters hit on the way out, is Costambar.
That being said, if logic is not enough to substantiate it, I was having coffee with the ex-Mayor of POP last week, and we were talking about the water pollution in that area, and the progress made in the 8 years he was Mayor.
He estimates that if POP continues to progress at the same rate, with regards to resolving polluting the ocean, that in 20 years or so, it may be safe to swim in.

loosinghope

Aug 13, 2007

no, not the same area. this is closer to black beards, but in no way related to black beards, although i think for some time they were steeling electricity from them, perhaps still are - who knows.

the fact of the matter is that i would like to remain annonymous b/c i still have to live there and walk there, and shop there, and sleep there. the last thing i want is a home invasion.

i really wish there wasn't so much corruption at all levels. if i could just write a letter to the apc i would, but i think they would most likely just toss it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Email me the address and I'll call the local Edenorte office and turn in the person in for you.

This is no big deal as all the Edenorte techs have to do is see if the building has got the lines wired correctly through the meter box.

If not it is snip, snip.

BTW, I'll call from a public phone so not to worry.

loosinghope

Aug 13, 2007
There could hardly be a more polluted area of water, than the POP port.
You just have to stand next to it and the smell can turn your stomach.
The ocean waters move from East to West, and the very first thing the putrid port waters hit on the way out, is Costambar.
That being said, if logic is not enough to substantiate it, I was having coffee with the ex-Mayor of POP last week, and we were talking about the water pollution in that area, and the progress made in the 8 years he was Mayor.
He estimates that if POP continues to progress at the same rate, with regards to resolving polluting the ocean, that in 20 years or so, it may be safe to swim in.

at this point i'll take the lesser of the two evils - polutions sounds like a better option to me.

yes, i've always heard that the waters are polluted, but then again, i've heard that of the entire shore line. since there is not formal sewer system everything gets dumped in the ocean.

the way i see it, i have a better chance of getting an infection from the water i shower with, than i do from the water in the ocean. MOst people don't shower with "botellones de agua", they use the water that gets pumped from the street and cisternas.

I heard somewhere that the united states had gifted puerto plata $1mm towards the new sewer project. don't know how true it is, but i'm sure most of that money will be in cayman/swiss bank a/c's before the project even begins.

wow, i really do sound like i'm loosing hope - jeez!:ermm:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Options.

1) Covertly. Not a word to anybody, use every trick in the books.
2) With big contacts, ie: Generals, Governors, etc.
3) Do outright battle and risk your life.
4) Leave it alone, hope it goes away, maybe move.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A couple of questions, loosinghope. 1) What is it that makes you feel unsafe? The stealing of electricity or the drug activity? Or are you really telling us that the occupants are a group of law breaking delinquents who have very shady types calling round & there is all manner of crime going down there? 2) Is the property manager (the one with the obvious gun) a foreigner or a Dominican?

You could drop an anonymous letter off to APC (get someone else to deliver) but do the APC have a track record of dealing with these sorts of issues? I'd add to Rocky's advice you could also email the 2 local papers - El Faro or Puerto Plata Digital (latter is online so you could find the address there, former is print & online). PPDigital has a fluent English speaker (send for attention of Xiomara Brugal), El Faro could probably rustle up an English speaker but you might be better writing in Spanish to start with.

loosinghope

Aug 13, 2007
A couple of questions, loosinghope. 1) What is it that makes you feel unsafe? The stealing of electricity or the drug activity? Or are you really telling us that the occupants are a group of law breaking delinquents who have very shady types calling round & there is all manner of crime going down there? 2) Is the property manager (the one with the obvious gun) a foreigner or a Dominican?

You could drop an anonymous letter off to APC (get someone else to deliver) but do the APC have a track record of dealing with these sorts of issues? I'd add to Rocky's advice you could also email the 2 local papers - El Faro or Puerto Plata Digital (latter is online so you could find the address there, former is print & online). PPDigital has a fluent English speaker (send for attention of Xiomara Brugal), El Faro could probably rustle up an English speaker but you might be better writing in Spanish to start with.

Lambada, thanks for your post, i will try to answer your questions the best i can. what makes me feel unsafe is that they are involved in all types of illegal activity and people like that attract other shady characters, which is why there is always a bunch of people sitting around doing nothing but drinking and loitering. the constant transient traffic adds to my concern that people can easily just get in and out after commiting crimes. it is no secret the these are crimes waiting to happen. there have been various breakins in the area lately. most of the items taken are things that can easily be pawned for some cash. drug addicts will do anything to get hands on cash to buy drugs. (but that's a whole other story)

yes, the property manager is dominican. and yes, he loves to carry his gun around at all time.

as for the paper, not a bad idea, but i'm still scared. i would not want them to know i'm doing this.

and as far as the language, i speak and write fluent spanish so that would not be an issue.

i would drop off a letter at the apc if i knew it would make it to the right hands. i suspect they already know what goes on and they just choose to ignore b/c the people that live there are dominican. if they were foreigners they would have already fined them and set them straight. they can't fine dominicans or do anything else it appears.

I'm starting to think that rocky is right and i should just stay put and not do anything. in an ideal world i could just call the cops and things would be dealt with accordingly - especially in a nice neighborhood. unfortunately, i don't know any politicians, i don't have any connections, and i don't have tons of money to bribe people with so i might just have to grin and bear it.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
i really wish there wasn't so much corruption at all levels. if i could just write a letter to the apc i would, but i think they would most likely just toss it.

I have owned property in Costambar for 10+ years. While I may disagree with some of the actions of some of the members of the APC, some of the time, I have not found 'corruption', as you call it, to be a factor in the APC's managemant of Costambar.
Also, to suggest that the current APC board would 'toss' a complaint of the type you are describing, is without justification. In fact,the current President has worked tirelessly to improve all aspects of life in Costambar, and exposing herself to threats from 'entrenched interests' in the process.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm starting to think that rocky is right and i should just stay put and not do anything.
Just for the record, I do not advocate doing nothing, but I also feel a sense of civic duty towards any decent person, which is why I warned you of the dangers.
To not advise you as such, would be immoral.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
loosinghope, why don't you PM Buzzard (he's a fine upstanding person) & see if he would be prepared to sound out the APC President to see if she already knows about your example? Obviously from what Buzzard says APC President does have a track record of addressing these sorts of issues.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
loosinghope, why don't you PM Buzzard (he's a fine upstanding person) & see if he would be prepared to sound out the APC President to see if she already knows about your example? Obviously from what Buzzard says APC President does have a track record of addressing these sorts of issues.

I would be glad to do as you suggest, Lambada. While I'm not in the DR at present, I can call her from the US. So I'll be looking for a PM from the OP.

Buzzard

P.S. I just received an email from a long-time resident of Costambar, who reports that security is improving (gates that close at 8:00 PM) and that a major beach cleanup took place.
P.P.S. The email also reports that the POP main road is FINISHED!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.