Hurricane Dean

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The data indicates that the depression has reached tropical storm status. And now that a visible center is forming, it is further to the West than what could previously be seen, so, the track has shifted. The cyclone is still in an area of easterly wind shear. This wind shear will be reducing as the cyclone makes its way further westwards - the expectation being that the storm will increase in strength and intensity as the wind shear decreases. The expectation is that Dean will be close to the Lesser Antilles in 5 days.

Note, that for us, the forecast is still too far out to make any reasonable judgements. During hurricane season, 5 days seem to be the furthest out that one can actually forecast. So, we're still very unsure which direction Dean will take in relation to our island.

Currently, as is usual, the storm is moving Westwards at around 21 miles per hour. In the short term (2 or 3 days), this heading will continue. After that, the heading and forecast becomes highly uncertain as the models are not in good agreement. In about another 2 or 3 days, we will get more certainty as to what Dean wants to do.

A tropical storm is not a hurricane yet. But, by the time Dean makes its run across the ocean, it should be classified as a hurricane. The strength is uncertain.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tracks and Cones

A short explanation to answer some questions:

The cone of probability is the white and the white speckled areas in the image. This is the way that Noaa indicates where they think a storm is going to go - and is is a probability based on guidance from models - it is not a fact, as it has not happened yet.

The white area is the potential area that the storm may influence for the next three days. The speckled white area is the probable area of influence for the 4th and 5th day.

The probable track is the black line in the middle. The black dots on the black line indicate whether it is a storm, or a hurricane. The S is for tropical storm, the H is for hurricane. This is all projected and not real yet.

Example
track1.gif

track2.gif

Please again note that we are working with probabilities and potentials. Tropical storms and hurricanes are fickle. They sometimes go where we do not expect them to go. All you can do is to wait and see and if you fall within the cone of probability, to make sure that your hurricane plan is thought through and you can action it quickly.

Should the storm get closer to us, and it is early days yet ... we will post probable wind fields and probable storm surges.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NHC is the "best "for us. All the rest seem to predict some rains and maybe important winds.. BUT, it is way to far out there to start carving this in stone...

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly is right. This storm is 5 days out from the Dominican Republic, that is if it does not change its mind. Suffice to say that I've seen more storms change their minds, than what I've seen storms stick to their initial track. There will be many shifts of track in the next 5 days and of course, shifts of cone of probability. So, give me a break here already and stop those panic pm's already please ... ;) I'm busy! You'll know everything I know just as quick as I know it ... :laugh:

Anyway, we're in a waiting period. This is still not a hurricane but will probably become one in the next few days. There is a slight North Westerly nudge in the latest raw numbers but the official guidance sticks to a Westerly track. The storm is currently being buffeted by NorthEasterly winds and has not organized itself any better today. It is making its way across the ocean at a little slower speed. So, in the next day or so when it reaches warmer waters and gets out of the wind shear environment, it should probably declare what it wants to be, and how strong. Soon after, about 3 days out from now, we will have a better idea as to eventual track. (Don't panic! - you'll have sufficient time to make decisions - Its easy to run from a hurricane in the DR .. you just head inland for a number of hours - find a hotel and wait it out)

The current track puts Dean around 120 miles South of Santo Domingo in 5 days, on Sunday, as a Cat 3 storm. This has at least a 300 - 400 miles margin of error.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Latest Advisories

OK, this is what we have for the official track

cdean.png

and this is what we have for latest model guidance

trackcdean.png

Plot provided courtesy of Jonathan Vigh, Colorado State University

Here are the highlights ...

-The center is well developed with well defined circulation and 50 to 55 miles per hour winds.
-The center is again slightly north of previous estimates.
-Motion is still West but a little further nudge to West-NorthWestwards is expected as the storm is holding just south of a ridge.
-The storm has slowed down but the models are struggling to agree on the speed of the storm. Official estimates now at 16 miles per hour.
-Easterly shear is beginning to decrease and the environment (sea surface temperatures and winds) is becoming favorable for development of strength.
-The available intensity guidance is bringing Dean to a hurricane in 36 to 48 hours.
-By day five from now, Dean is expected to strengthen to a major hurricane, i.e, minimum cat 3.

As you can see, we're still interpreting data, things are still not fully clear, and for us, the picture has not yet fully formed. It is still an open game and when the storm is closer, we can predict wind fields and make a call as to which area of the DR will be affected and how. South Coast and Punta Cana should be on high alert by now and ready to evacuate if necessary. Pedernales, Barahona, I'd be wide awake if I were in your area. And Haiti, poor Haiti, is anyone awake out there? Anyway, it is still a waiting game.

With the current information that we have, taking into account still a 300% possible error, the storm will be approximately 120 miles South of Santo Domingo late afternoon on Sunday. If this holds true, with the current wind field, the South Coast will experience high storm surge, high tides and winds of only 40 to 45 miles per hour. (A stiff gale and much rain.)

And, to close, I fully expect this to change in the next few days.
Good night!

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Here is the current track also showing tropical depression 5 in the Gulf

deantrack-wed.png

Here is this morning's model guidance

deanmodels.gif

Courtesy of Skeetobite Weather
COPYRIGHT NOTICE -
Copyright ? 1999 - 2007 Skeetobite Studios, Inc., P.O. Box 6676 Lakeland, Florida 33807-6676 U.S.A. All rights reserved.

Today and tomorrow we hang loose and wait to see how big this storms wants to be.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Be interesting to see just who is "righter" on this track....UKMET is further south and NHC is further north....hummmmm

So, who knows what? Or, who knows jack?

HB

Oh yeah, one of my boys is getting married Sat up in the Jamao area, near Cafeto!! And he wants me to wear a suit!! Yeah, right!!! Rain gear more likely!!

DanaP

May 23, 2007
uh oh

okay, so i'm supposed to be flying into Punta Cana sat afternoon, spending Sat-Wed in Juan Dolio and then back to PC until Sun afternoon to do some field work for my planned move this fall .......sounds like i should just sit tight here in the states, yes?

hurricane newbie

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
.......sounds like i should just sit tight here in the states, yes?

hurricane newbie

Go when the plane goes. The airlines won't fly if there is danger, so, when the plane goes, be on it ;)

Better yet, wait till Friday and we'll have a better idea of the impact (if any with the current track shifts).

bigpopaz

Aug 9, 2007
Decisions...Decisions

Scheduled to fly to Santo Domingo Thursday morning and returning to Miami on Sunday. Getting there is not the issue, obviously but cant decide if I should leave Saturday afternoon or Sunday.. Gotta go back to work on Monday.

ljsmith

Jul 31, 2007
If a hurricane hits PC, how many days does it usually last? My daughter and new son-in-las are coming for their honeymoon on Sept. 2nd.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chris, You are doing a great job keeping us that LIVE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC up to date. Thank you.

It amazes me that people are sooo concerned with their vacation plans while we that live here are concerned with being prepared for possible property and human loss.

Feel free to delete this so we can stay on the proper subject... Hurricane Dean.

Respectfully, Ringo

bigpopaz

Aug 9, 2007
Chris, You are doing a great job keeping us that LIVE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC up to date. Thank you.

It amazes me that people are sooo concerned with their vacation plans while we that live here are concerned with being prepared for possible property and human loss.

Feel free to delete this so we can stay on the proper subject... Hurricane Dean.

Respectfully, Ringo

I am concerned with both my vacation plan and the storm. I live and work in Miami.

ljsmith

Jul 31, 2007
Ringo, I don't mean any disrespect, but would you want two more people down there if you had a hurricane that had no clue of what to do, or how to prepare for one?

Chris, you can delete this one also.

Respectfully, Ringo

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Me=tropical storm newbie.

If it hits south what happens up here in the north, just a bunch of rain? By north I mean Cabrera....not Maine....maybe I should change my handle......CabreraGirl doesn't have the same ring.