Birth Certificate issue again

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
This e-mail is from the Embassy in Haiti. My husband's birth certifiacate is
the 'Extracto de Acta' type.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning,

The Canadian Embassy in Haiti processes applications coming from the Dominican Republic. We normally require Dominican nationals to provide the original or a certified copy of their birth certificate ("acta de nacimiento (in extensa)" or "extracto de acta") from the Direccion Nacional del Registro del Estado Civil. If the birth was not registered within the three months of the actual birth, we require additional documents to verify the birth and identity. Such documents can be the hospital or clinic record, baptismal certificate, etc., along with a written explanation why the birth was registered late.

Sincerely,

PRNCE (IM)

I stole this quote from "He got the call" thread, didn't want to hijack it.

I sent a "certificado de declarcion de nacimiento" and on the safe side had the "acta de nacimiento inextensa" also in the package when I first submitted the papers because of what I had read in here.

So then, I recieved a letter yesterday, here in Montreal form the embassy stating that they want the "Extracto de acta".

On top of that, it seems that every single paper that I had transalated ($$$) from spanish into french aren't what they want..

:ermm:Lost in translation, look at what they wrote :

- Mariage certificate ("extracto de acta" not "certificado")
But for my first mariage, they say they want the Mariage certificate without mentionning the specification between the two.. I went and got myself the "Acte de mariage" which is suppose to be the more official one. (crossing fingers here)

So, If you ever hesitate between certificate, declaration, acto .. go for the acto.

I was wondering, since I'll be going to the DR this coming saturday. Is going straight to the consulate in the capital, the best way to drop the missing papers ? At this point do I really need to have the "Extracto the acta" for his birth certificate and our mariage certificate translated ?

Thanks
Milagro

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Hi Milagro,

I know what you mean when you said that they don't specify exactly which papers they need. The certificates that I submitted for my marriage was the 'Acta De Matrimonio-In Extensa' The 'Acta De Matrimonio' is the original official paper I received when I got married. Saying that I think that will suffice, but for your birth certificate you will need the 'Extracto De Acta' and since they originally asked for the papers to be translated, I would assume they want these ones too. I would just get it done to ensure there are no more delays...

Good Luck

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
I know this is expensive and a pain in the neck...but..why not just give them both ? It seems like what ever one they don't have is the one that they ask for, then these papers come from Haiti asking for the one that you did not send and this all takes up so much time....
Giving them both would seem to be less of a nusance than going through all of this.
I agree that something appears to be lost in the translation there with the go'round of the three possible languages and translations.

This seems to be the frustrating part of the Canada process.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Wont translate

Im down here in DR. It's a pain to get those Extracto de Acta and plus, we have been taking with people here and with a visit to the consulate and everything, now they want those papers legalized and pasar por la cancilleria (in French it would be Chancelier) So each of the papers are now costing about 100$. There is no way I'm translating them now. I'm really fed up with them. I tried calling Port-au-Prince, hell I even speak french and a dead person would have given me more information.. I wrote them a huge email on how they treat people who calls, and that asking if they want the extracto de acta for birth certificate to be legalized does not make this a personal information crap that they transfer you to. Put Santo Domingo in CC as well as the minister of immigration and my MP. Didn't get a wiff back..

Can you imagine people that in Quebec.. it is the province itself that accepts or not the applicant and that Haiti only has to provide the residency papers.. And still they are asking me for more proofs of relation. Went back in the immigration guide, and found that they ask for proof only if you are in a conjugal relationship..For married people, Mariage certificate and that's it.. well as it turns out Extracto de acta for this one too. Dont know what more I can give them.. I have been with my husband for almost 4 years and married for one. I want this over and done with. I'll be delivering the last papers tomorrow. We are in the last miles of this rompe cabeza..
Wish me luck.. I'm trying to stay here until it's over so that my husband and I can fly home together.
But I tell you.. only the strong ones can survive what they put you through.

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
Milagro02

The Quebec government only approves your husband saying that if he is approved for residency by the Canadian Immigration in Haiti that he can come and live in the province of Quebec.

I have just been through thi with my husband. You still have to prove that you have a legitimate relationship.