looking forward to visiting santo domingo

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
my wife and another couple will be visiting sdg nov 26-dec 3..we're very much looking forward to more dominican hospitality and sights! we are flying into punta cana and picking up our friend cesar we met last year and after a night in punta cana are heading to sdg for a week of stay. we will have a rented van and although cesar is very familiar with sdg and has some excursions in store for us i would like some input on some day trips nearby that anyone could recommend. we want to see more of the DR and if some of these excurions are lenthy could you also recommend places to stay in these places? we are adventurous and would love to see parts of the interior that are far from tourist spots that native dominicans treasure. thanks for any suggestions:squareeye

Feb 7, 2007
Day Trips:

- Beach in Boca Chica
- Sand Dunes in Bani (Playa Salinas)
- Altos de Chavon in La Romana

I think a week is too much for a sightseeing in SDQ. Unless you plan on partying every day, you will get bored after 3-4 days.

You may want to divide your time between the east/SDQ or SDQ/north

You may want to go to ranchos in Jarabacoa (central north) to do rafting, paragliding, horseback riding, etc. So why not stay 4 days in SDQ and go for 3 days to Jarabacoa?

Or you can stay 3 days in the east instead, and go visit the Ranchos in Higuey/Punta Cana area, visit Isla Saona, eat fresh fish in Boca de Yuma.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
since you will be driving, just enjoy the sights! - If you see anything that looks good, just pull-over and enjoy the view. Lots of history and culture.

Have a good safe trip!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
How about the caves....?

For something really unusual, go to Las Maravillas, between San Pedro de Macoris & La Romana, you could do it on the way to Altos de Chavon. One of the best presented cave systems I've ever seen. IMHO one of the rarest and best sight seeing experiences the DR has to offer. Beautiful stalctites/mites, ancient Taino wall paintings, and excellent guides some of whom are really knowledgeable speelolgists.

If you don't want to go "so far" try the "Tres Ojos" park in East Santo Domingo, no comparison with Las Maravillas of course, but three caves with subterranean rivers, small lakes and tropical vegetation.

Or how about dining out in a cave? Meson de la Cava in Bella Vista, Santo Domingo on the Mirador Sur. Food is not absolutely fabulous, nor particularly inexpensive, but the ambience and experience is well worth it. Don't bother to go to the cave-disco just up the road, though. Used to be a great place, however, recent reports class it as a "dead-and-alive hole"

Feb 7, 2007
We learn every day. I have been living in Higuey almost 18 months and I didn't know about the caves in the Romana area.

Can you PM me exact directions from Romana (where to get off the highway, etc..?)

Thx.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Coming from Higuey, passing La Romana on the way to the capital, the caves (Las Maravillas) are located on the right hand side approx. 15 km after La Romana, just beside the highway.

There has been a sign on the highway but due to the construction works that sign might be gone.