Weekly accomodation in Stgo: advice?

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
Hi everybody,

I would like to spend two weeks in Santiago in September, and I tend not to like hotels.

Can I find a studio/furnished room to rent by the week? Or maybe a family hotel? I hate the coldness of chains.

Also, am I going to be safe walking about town with a camera swinging from my neck?:pirate:

Thanks for any advice

piero

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe you would like Hotel Colonial. Small, family run. Victor is the boss. Cheap. Town center-more or less. In daylight hours, you'll be quite safe. At night....I don't think I'd walk the town. However, if you want to take nighttime photos, hire a taxi (see: Welcome To Paradise Transportation) to accompany you on our forays.

Likewise, you might like Alberto's Suites Aparta-Hotel. A wee bit more expensive, nearer the Monument and where the nightlife is. Both are in the phone book and are known to all taxi drivers.

Enjoy!

HB

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Hillbilly always has great suggestions. He is like one of the godfathers of this site. I would like to help you also. What dates are you looking to come down? What do you reasonably want to spend? Also, check other threads that have address this same question by performing a search.
To answer your other question, as long as you stay in the right part of town you will be safe. I would not recommend you have a camera swinging from your neck in any part of the DR. All electronic items here are imports and are considered a luxury item. Keep your camera in a bag and close to you. It will make you look less like a tourist, in addition less like a target for what we call tigres (local thugs).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As usual Luis has great advice, however, I have noticed that there is increasingly a lot of people out and about shopping late in the evenings not far from Colonial hotel.

Read a few things in this forum about what you can do to not be a target. At night, don't wear shorts and leave all of the Indiana Jones garb at the hotel. Dress as the Domincians do and ieven if ytou are fishbelly white like me you will be probably ignored as I am.

Also, I believe Hotel Colonial has a super loud generator as I unfortunately found out the night of our honeymoon - at the very least make sure to ask for a rom as far away from the "planta" as possible.

suerte

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
As usual Luis has great advice, however, I have noticed that there is increasingly a lot of people out and about shopping late in the evenings not far from Colonial hotel.

Read a few things in this forum about what you can do to not be a target. At night, don't wear shorts and leave all of the Indiana Jones garb at the hotel. Dress as the Domincians do and ieven if ytou are fishbelly white like me you will be probably ignored as I am.

Also, I believe Hotel Colonial has a super loud generator as I unfortunately found out the night of our honeymoon - at the very least make sure to ask for a rom as far away from the "planta" as possible.

suerte

Hey, Chip, and you was worry about the planta.....:bandit:

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
- 10th through 30th of September
- US$30-day or so

Hillbilly always has great suggestions. He is like one of the godfathers of this site. I would like to help you also. What dates are you looking to come down? What do you reasonably want to spend? Also, check other threads that have address this same question by performing a search.
To answer your other question, as long as you stay in the right part of town you will be safe. I would not recommend you have a camera swinging from your neck in any part of the DR. All electronic items here are imports and are considered a luxury item. Keep your camera in a bag and close to you. It will make you look less like a tourist, in addition less like a target for what we call tigres (local thugs).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That's enough for either the Colonial or Alberto's Suites and Aparta-Hotel. Take your pick.

Follow the other advice..

HB