Taxi from POP Metro station to Airport

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Can anyone give me the name and number of a reliable taxi company in or around Puerto Plata.

My wife is travelling up from Santo Domingo on the Metro and would need the taxi from the Metro station in POP to go to POP airport.

She would be grateful for any recomendations.

Also what is the current rate from Metro station to airport. She's a Dominicana so I think she would expect the rate to be lower accordingly.

When it suits hers she's Dominican, when it suits her she's a tourista.
What can I tell you?

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If she want to play tourist the tourist taxi rate is $30US

Thje local taxi company Tecni-Taxi; Tel. (809) 586 4243 will charge a Dominicana much less than that - of course the windshield might be cracked and the A/C may or may not work - LOL.

Gregg

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Thanks

Nice one Greg

Thanks mate.

That reminds me of my taxi journey of a lifetime. We'd missed the last bus to Santo Domingo from POP and we got a taxi to take us to Santiago where we sort of jumped in front of the Metro. Then Metro'd it on to the capital. Well it was bucketing down with rain, late at night. Gusty winds. Roads strewn with litter and palm fronds.

We endured what seemd like hours in this creaky old jalopy - probably a cadilac or something similar - huge anyway. Only one wiper worked and that only occasionally. It was pretty terrifying at times. The windows were open as much as possible because 'the A/C' was history - the rain flying in the window was at least refreshing. The windscreen was, as you have said 'crazed beyond belief'

The guy was driving blind most of the time - it seemed he only had either side lights or full beam - so it was a case of 'who would dip their main beam first'.

As soon as our driver dipped his we were plunged into almost total darkness - aided of course by a rain deluged windscreen.

Our ordeal was punctuated a few times as we stopped to top up the radiator.

It seems hilarious thinking back to it, but I was genuinely scared sh*tless for most of the ride.

Sorry for that rambling digression - Its amazing how some wierd experiences can endear you to a place.

Thanks again
Paul

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Tecni-Taxi in Puerto Plata is 809-320-7621.

The number Gregg posted is either a particular driver's number, or another company.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Lovely jubly

Thanks La Profe_1, must be a driver I used in the past (definitely was Tecni-Taxi) - sorry Paul - the rest is as I stated.

Gregg

No worries I'll pass the new number to the missus - thanks guys

Paul

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Techni Taxi

Techni Taxi turned out to be just the job.

450 Pesos - Metro stand in Puerto Plata to the airport.

She paid US$30 when she arrived a month ago for the reverse journey.

Thanks indeed for the number.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For the reverse journey she might always end up paying $30US as I don't think the taxis at the airport will let Tecni Taxi pick up there; drop off OK but no pick up (I think; just like Playa Dorada). If someone knows different they can comment.

Gregg

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Tecni-Taxi can pick up from the airport if they are called. I do it all the time. They cannot wait at the airport in the hope of getting a customer.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
For the reverse journey she might always end up paying $30US as I don't think the taxis at the airport will let Tecni Taxi pick up there; drop off OK but no pick up (I think; just like Playa Dorada). If someone knows different they can comment.

Gregg

If the driver is willing to "risk it", they can remove all the taxi paraphanalia from their vehicles and enter PD as a vehiculo privado!
I did this last night and paid $RD400 to the airport as opposed to the $30 charged in the complex.