Dental question(braces)...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was wondering if anyone had any concrete information on the cost of braces in the Santiago area.

I am not talking about the invisaligns, just the regular metal braces.

And also who would be a good dentist to go see for these.

Before you guys grill me I did a search and did not come up with anything relevant or recent.

Thanks in advance!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was wondering if anyone had any concrete information on the cost of braces in the Santiago area.

Before you guys grill me I did a search and did not come up with anything relevant or recent.

Thanks in advance!!

Send a PM to cobraboy - I believe his fiance has a sister who is a dentist here.

Also, when we got braces for my wife about 6 years ago they cost RD8000, so you can probably double the cost. Also, they were put on so weak when we came to the States the dentist there had to remove most of them as they were put on so weakly and badly.

Jan 5, 2006
I would just advise you to be very careful in choosing a dentist, because most do not have any specialized orthodontic training. ;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I would just advise you to be very careful in choosing a dentist, because most do not have any specialized orthodontic training. ;)

This is why I'm asking the question. If I don't live there I won't know unless someone recommends the dentist, and hopefully they have had good experiences with him or her.

MissionDoc

Dec 16, 2006
Berzin- I am a dentist in the USA and travel to the RD frequently. Orthodontic care is an ongoing process which requires followup visits every 5-6 weeks so if you don't live there it is going to be difficult to have someone do the case for you. Moving teeth is pretty specific stuff and having someone in the RD put them on and then expect to travel back to the US to have someone do the F/U is not going to happen. I know I made some assumptions but you weren't really specific about this. I may be able to help you with some names and numbers but you have to lay this out a little better for us.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I need the braces put on and I want to know how much it would be.

As far as getting them adjusted I will do that here where I live.

I have a friend who went to another country to have them done and then did absolutely nothing to maintain them. Some of the braces actually broke from some back teeth.

The dentist who put the braces in even told him that he could do the adjustments himself that were required every 5-6 weeks. Ridiculous.

But I will have someone lined up here for the maintenance and adjusting, I just need someone good to put them in, as the costs of having that done here are just spiraling out of control.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

Thanks in advance!!
I can recomend you to visit Dr. Miguel, centro de ortodoncia maxilo facial. av. Texas plaza Matilde, Los Jardines Metropolitano, second level, he did a good jab to my dother, I payed RD $ 25,000.00 and the process is about one year.

MissionDoc

Dec 16, 2006
Berzin-
Take some advise from someone who knows dentistry both clinically and from the perspective of business. No one worth a crap or that is trained in ortho is going to want to complete the case here in the US. Hell they don't even want to finish each others cases when there is a regional move within the US. And NO YOU CANNOT DO THE ADJUSTMENTS YOURSELF!!!! Orthodontics is not as simple as throwing on some brackets and wires. You may as well be asking whether you can do Lasics correction on your own eyes at home. I am sure you will find some unscrupulous person to do your case once it is started elsewhere. Buyer beware. In a few years you'll be sorry that you did it this way.
This is not an indictment of Dominican dentistry. The guys I know down there are damn good practitioners. This is a statement on letting anyone here finish a case they didn't start. Most won't and don't want to.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agree with Mission that you probably will have a hard time finding someone here in the US to adjust them. They are so uptight here...We tried for our son when we moved (within the same state) and they wouldn't do it. Personally I think it is just to try to extract more money...

Anyhow we ended up having to start all over and I'm still paying for it. It costs us almost 8,000 USD. I probably could have flown him down to The DR every few months to get the darn things adjusted...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I already stated that I have someone lined up here in the states to do the adjustments.

I understand what you are saying MissionDoc but I have done some research into this and I just need the name of a couple of good people who do this on the island, and even though I put this in the Central DR section it really doesn't matter where the person is as long as he is good and highly recommended.

This is all I need.

I already have one in an above mentioned post but I would like a few more.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Dr. Aria, on the coner of Las Carerras and St Louis above the fish store. He is the only one I know in Santiago, It runs between 25,000 45,000 to get the complete treatment, he worked on my daughter Debbie.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I already stated that I have someone lined up here in the states to do the adjustments.

I understand what you are saying MissionDoc but I have done some research into this and I just need the name of a couple of good people who do this on the island, and even though I put this in the Central DR section it really doesn't matter where the person is as long as he is good and highly recommended.

This is all I need.

I already have one in an above mentioned post but I would like a few more.

Here is the name of a guy I have been talking to. He may be a member here on DR1, not sure. I have not had any dental work done yet in the DR but Humberto has been very helpful with my research. He knows Dentists all over the island.

HUMBERTO JAIME
INNOVADENT / EGRESA
hjaime@innovadent.com.do
809-629-1723 Mobile in Dominican Republic

hope that helps,
ctRob