To Escape America...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Jones

Aug 22, 2007
I'm 21 & African American & Single!

I want to stay somewhere in Puerto Plata, but my biggest concern is Americanization. I travel to get away from the American Culture. Don't get me wrong I love America, Hell I'm a United States Marine, but When ever I travel to a different country I want to be emerged in that culture. I don't like doing the tourist stuff I like getting in to what the locals do... I sure I'm not the only one like this.

Where should I stay in Puerto Plata?
I alway hear Sosua or Cabarete, I'm leaning more toward Sosua because I read one post that said it's less tourist, but I hear Cabarete has the Nightlife; Which I like also.

What nightlife spot are good for Spanish Music & People My Age? I love some reggaeton, but like most spanish music genre.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

I want to stay somewhere in Puerto Plata, but my biggest concern is Americanization. I travel to get away from the American Culture. Don't get me wrong I love America, Hell I'm a United States Marine, but When ever I travel to a different country I want to be emerged in that culture. I don't like doing the tourist stuff I like getting in to what the locals do... I sure I'm not the only one like this.

I alway hear Sosua or Cabarete, I'm leaning more toward Sosua because I read one post that said it's less tourist, but I hear Cabarete has the Nightlife; Which I like also.

What nightlife spot are good for Spanish Music & People My Age? I love some reggaeton, but like most spanish music genre.

Go to List?n Diario Digital - El periódico de los dominicanos On today newspaper the procuraduria wants to take out of the radio the reggeaton music for drugs concern...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Semper Fi

It depends on how well your Spanish is. If you don't speak well stay close to the tourist areas on the coast like Sosua etc. but instead of choosing a "All inclusive" resort get a regular hotel.

If you are fluent then you might like Santiago or the capital.

Also, very few areas of the DR have a high concentration of English speakers in general, so you probably won't feel too close to home.

suerte

Team Jones

Aug 22, 2007
Semper Fi

It depends on how well your Spanish is. If you don't speak well stay close to the tourist areas on the coast like Sosua etc. but instead of choosing a "All inclusive" resort get a regular hotel.

If you are fluent then you might like Santiago or the capital.

Also, very few areas of the DR have a high concentration of English speakers in general, so you probably won't feel too close to home.

suerte

Semper Fidelis!!!

Hearing that there's not a high concentration of English speakers in general make me feel better. My Spanish is not that good... it's just ok, but I'll be traveling with a buddy of mine who is Mexican, and his Spanish is very fluent! So he can pick up where I fall off.

Yeah... I'm definally not doing the all inclusive deal.
I keep hearing about a Hotel called Rocky's in Sosua? I'm thinking about staying there, as long as it's not to far from some good Nightlife.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
sosua and caberete are not far from each other, a short cab ride. there's more old farts in sosua and less young folk. caberete may be the place for you....

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Try Boca Chica - that way you have some English and then you can be closer to the Capital.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
DUH! He wants to get away from the American stuff and is thinking about Sosua???

Try Gaspar Hernandez, or the town of Cabrera or go to Santo Domingo or Santiago, anywhere but Cabarete or Sosua...even Puerto Plata would be better to get into the flow of Dominican life....
Or Mao!
Or La Vega

Just behave yourselves, like gentlemen, not gyrenes on leave in Tijuana!!

HB

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I'm a bit confused by some of the responses here as my impression reading the OP's original post is that he'd rather be away from the more touristy areas.

I'm leaning more toward Sosua because I read one post that said it's less tourist

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
But we dont know how much spanish he knows... So he might still have to stay within the areas the speak some english!

Team Jones

Aug 22, 2007
DUH! He wants to get away from the American stuff and is thinking about Sosua???

Try Gaspar Hernandez, or the town of Cabrera or go to Santo Domingo or Santiago, anywhere but Cabarete or Sosua...even Puerto Plata would be better to get into the flow of Dominican life....
Or Mao!
Or La Vega

Just behave yourselves, like gentlemen, not gyrenes on leave in Tijuana!!

HB

I always behave. Very respectful.

To clarify I'm fine with tourist areas, just as long as it not a majority of tourist in comparison to locals.

NYC_Trini_Span said:
"I want to see Dominicans, dancing to Salsa and Merengue, etc. I did NOT leave the USA to come to "Lil USA".

That pretty much how I feel too.

My Spanish is ok, but I'll be traveling with my friend who is Mexican and he speaks Spanish fluently. He'll be with me at all times and able to help me out with the Spanish I don't know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Then do what we suggest and stay away from Sosua or Cabarete. It is a tourist scene with the locals are waiting for you to leave them "something". Which is fine is all you want is the party till you drop type of vacation.
If you want something more, try Santo Domingo, where you can become part of the crowd...do what Dominicans do....

However, the scene at Sosua and Cabarete is more used to tourists and they do their best to cater to your needs....
Your experience will be much broader if you get out and about...

HB

Team Jones

Aug 22, 2007
I guess Santo Domingo it is! Any central location in Santo Domingo where the Nightlife is? A strip of bars/clubs or something like that?

steelmet

Jun 21, 2007
team jones

Just got back from SD last month.... stayed in the colonial zone great place there called the hotel Atarazana. a touristy area howqever from what i saw not many head to the colonial zone. It has everything you need....... its no NYC but if you want women you can find those, you want fun clean women those too, also great food in the area...... safe without being felt as though you are with all americans. and actuially americans arent in abundance, at least not what i saw....... sosua i would stay away, when i am in that area i stay at a AI in playa dorada but i venture out.......

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Get completely away from the tourist areas, but not deep campo.
County seats have many educated and foreign-traveled Dominicans.
Try Cotui or Sabaneta in Santiago-Rodriguez.
If you want a date, look up the nurses, doctors, bank managers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.