Las Terrenas history

slovely

Aug 22, 2007
Hi everyone,

I've traveled to Las Terrenas twice in the past few years and will surely visit again. I'm curious about the history of the place -- especially what it was like in the 70's when the Europeans -- mostly the French, I'm guessing -- arrived and began turning Las Terrenas into a tourist destination, how the local Dominicans reacted, what the experience was like for the Europeans and the Dominicans, etc.

I'd like to either start an exchange here or perhaps correspond with someone directly who was in Las Terrenas in the 70's and could tell me about it in detail.

Thanks!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
If I recall, it's a group of Club Med G.O's from the French Alps who first came, in the very early 80's (I am not sure about exactly when...)
There was not much in Las Terrenas, a very small fisherman village, some campesinos, a real bad dirt path to Sanchez. No electricity of course.
They planted their tent at the location where you have the Tropic Banana today.
It started to grow, and after some years, they started the Tropic Banana.
Also Hotel Diny was one of the first one, next to the police station, but it is closed now.

It seemed the Dominicans were of with the whole thing. I don't have any documents... Some of the early guys are still here (Ren?)... I don't know him personally...