Booked the flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJClintern

Aug 18, 2007
Hello, everybody.

I'm very excited because I just booked my flight for my first trip to the Dominican Republic. I'm flying into POP on 9-12 and leaving 9-21. I posted before that I'm traveling single and hoping to play golf during the day and enjoy some nightlife in the evenings.

I understand that this is "low" season.
-Will I have problems getting on the courses?
-Do I need to make hotel reservations or can I get the lay of the land first?
-Any advice on guest friendly hotels, if the opportunity presents itself, I am a single guy.
-I've reserved a mid-size rental car for the duration, should I anticipate any problems?
-I'd like to build my trip around the premier golf courses, maybe choosing accomodations spontaneously. Is that practical?
-Other than Playa Granda and Playa Dorado, I haven't an idea which courses I should do next or which are practical given geography or time constraints.

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You'll be ok finding accommodations as you go along.
Sosua will be a better base for you than the city of POP, and it's a lot closer to the airport.
Traveling to Playa Dorada for golf will take 20 minutes, and approx. 1 hour to the one outside of Rio San Juan.
As per http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/65719-golf-dr.html, you need not worry about golf details.
Hillbilly and Bush have it down pat.
Drive carefully, expect the unexpected and do not be aggressive.
Take digicam pics of the car at the point of rental, in case any damage is blamed on you when you turn it in.
Buy some good insurance, if you can afford to.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I'm almost as excited as you are about your first trip here to the DR. Hope you have a great time golfing as well as enjoying the nightlife. I don't know much about golf since that's not my thing, but two point of advice I can give you are: As Rocky suggested, drive very careful and be on the lookout for anything! Driving here is not like anywhere else. Don't try to be a hotshot, wear your seatbelt and don't be distracted while behind the wheel. Also, make sure you check out your car thoroughly before you take it and get the insurance. As for the nightlife, Sosua is pretty hot, depending on the type of music you like. If it's girls you're looking for, that's the place; BUT just be careful and sensible. Watch your wallet closely. Just like anywhere, there are scammers out there just waiting for someone like you. Enjoy the beaches; there are plenty of great people there to add to your pleasure. If you decide to get your accomodations in Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada has some nice and very affordable resorts right on the golf course. Viva Wyndam is a very nice bet and won't break the bank. If you decide to get out and have an adventure or two, like River Rafting or the Party Catamaran (which are both great fun), DO NOT book at the resort. You will pay three times the price for the exact same excursion. Your best bet is one of the tour operators at Playa Dorada Plaza. I've had the best luck and been given the best prices by Fan Tours. Ask for Frantzy; he's usually there after 6:00 p.m. until about 10 p.m. He's always been able to provide the best prices and the best service for all my guests. Other than that, be safe and have a fantastic time here in the DR. You won't regret it and will be anxious to book your next visit before you even leave the island.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Theres a nice 9 hole course in Costambar:cheeky: Just have to watch out for horses and chickens.

Do you know anybody in DR? If not, look for your hotel information on the board and choose one to make your base with and then head out.

BJClintern

Aug 18, 2007
Thanks for the good advice everyone.

Folks seem genuinely friendly on this board.

Makes me want to buy the world a coke.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the good advice everyone.

Folks seem genuinely friendly on this board.

Makes me want to buy the world a coke.
And it just gets better.
Some folks wait years to ever meet Hillbilly & Bush.
These guys are something special, as you will soon find out.

BTW: I just took a good look at your nickname for the first time.
That wouldn't happen to be a lil' joke about our pals Bill & Monica, would it?;)

PS: No Coke for me, thank you. Could I just have the cash?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
BTW: I just took a good look at your nickname for the first time.
That wouldn't happen to be a lil' joke about our pals Bill & Monica, would it?;)

PS: No Coke for me, thank you. Could I just have the cash?

Golf....Nightlife....Guest Friendly accomadations.....Maybe it IS Bill ...

I hope your bringing the limo, the chicas will love it...:laugh:

BJClintern

Aug 18, 2007
"BTW: I just took a good look at your nickname for the first time.
That wouldn't happen to be a lil' joke about our pals Bill & Monica, would it?"

Believe it or not, I've been told many times that I look like Bill Clinton. I like to think they mean I project presidential authority, but I'm afraid it's because I have the same nose and droopy eyes and similar hair style. I once sprayed white paint in my hair and went to a Halloween costume party with a girl who was trying to look like Monica. Everyone took one look at me and told her, "let me guess, you must be Monica Lewinsky".

I kid the president, as Bill Maher says, but it's done with affection.

ctrob is right, though, about the golf, nightlife, and guest friendly accomodations. I have more in common with Bill than the physical similarities.

Gotta go golf. Just think, in two weeks, I'll be golfing in the DR. Can't hardly wait!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Keep in mind that you can be a very cautious driver in the DR but still get in an accident. You really have to have eyes in the back of your head. The motoconches are everywhere and for the most part do not obey normal traffic laws. I am a fairly adventorous type but I didn't drive till about my 6th or 7th trip.

As an example, I was sitting at a stop light on my bike on the far left of my lane, chica on the back of my bike, cop standing right in front of me directing traffic, I see my chance to make my left turn thru oncoming traffic, start to go and a motoconch almost t-bones us flying up on our left, in the wrong lane. We would have been hit but the chica was more street smart then I, she was watching and screamed and slapped me on the back of the head. Really Hard! This type of driving is common place. I survived the slap.

You can't think that stop signs or stop lights mean you have the right of way. You do, but the guy on the motoconch has the right to abuse your right of way.

If you have to drive, I would suggest finding a busy intersection after you get settled in and just watch how they drive for awhile. It will be an education, and sometimes good entertainment. Two good places in Sosua are in front of the texaco station on the Highway or the corner of Pedro Clisante & Dr Rosen in town. There is a nice little open bar right on the corner that is good for people and traffic watching. Don't remember the name, right across from the Taxi stand and the jewelry store.

Good Luck

BJClintern

Aug 18, 2007
Thank you, ctrob, for the advice.

I don't have to drive, but I am hoping to see some of the country outside of the tourist zones and also play some inland golf courses. I will heed your caution and be very cautious. I hope I may be able to thnak you in person with some refreshing libation on my tab.

Cheers.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
If you have to drive, I would suggest finding a busy intersection after you get settled in and just watch how they drive for awhile. It will be an education, and sometimes good entertainment. Two good places in Sosua are in front of the texaco station on the Highway or the corner of Pedro Clisante & Dr Rosen in town. There is a nice little open bar right on the corner that is good for people and traffic watching. Don't remember the name, right across from the Taxi stand and the jewelry store.
Good Luck

This is some of the best, well-balanced advice I've seen on the topic of driving in the DR. Too often someone who's been driving for years in the country tells the newcomer that everything will be fine just do this or that or the other. I also was into several trips before I thought that I'd absorbed enough road lore to tackle driving -- and I still won't drive at night. (I think that bar was called Herman's but perhaps the name changed a year or so ago.)

OP you can do well travelling by gua-gua or (taxi) publico, and at a lot less cost than rental cars.

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
ctrob is right, though, about the golf, nightlife, and guest friendly accomodations. I have more in common with Bill than the physical similarities.

Gotta go golf. Just think, in two weeks, I'll be golfing in the DR. Can't hardly wait!

I hope your game is better than old Billy's. Probably the worst golf swing I've ever seen.:eek:

Seriously though I'm green with envy. I'll be there in January for my first visit and am planning on playing Playa Grande & Playa Dorada. Please let me know how the courses were when you return.

Status
Not open for further replies.