Traveling from SDQ to Santiago

Donato

Jul 7, 2007
Hi All, Need detailed directions from SDQ to Santiago. I rented a car and will be in DR Sept 3rd. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will also need direction from Santiago to LaVega. I will be staying in Santiago for 3 Days.
Please don't write back saying its better to get a Bus. I already rented a car.

Thanks
Donato

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
From Los Americas take highway 2 West through SDQ to Highway 1, then North on Highway 1 to STI. Since you passed through La Vega on the way from SDQ to STI turn around and drive South on Highway 1.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and please don't switch from your already rented car to the bus, that part of the country is worth to take a closer look.
drive your car, stop whereever you want and enjoy it all.
have fun

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
My first question would be - do you speak spanish? If yes, no problem, take the highway along the malecon in the direction of Santo Domingo, and after you cross the bridge stop at the closest gas station and ask for "autopista Duarte". You will have to cross the city through a lot of traffic (don't get frustrated, you'll learn this is the reason most people fly directly into Santiago); this takes approx. 30-45 min. Once you have crossed the city, the trip is direct to Santiago through La Vega, on a good highway. La Vega is about 1 1/2 hours and Santiago 20 minutes later. You have to know that there are 2 exits for La Vega, the first one approx. 15 minutes after you pass Bonao. If you are not familiar with La Vega, the second exit will leave you at the entrance to the free zone and the road to Jarabacoa. The first exit is best if you are going into the town of La Vega. If you don't speak spanish, you can PM me as I will be travelling from Las Americas to Santiago on Monday.

Feb 7, 2007
From Los Americas take highway 2 West through SDQ to Highway 1, then North on Highway 1 to STI. Since you passed through La Vega on the way from SDQ to STI turn around and drive South on Highway 1.

Drtampa, this is really helpful. Like if the Dr had road signs saying Route 1 North here Route 2 west there...

OP: From SDQ, take the highway "las americas". Keep straight, don't make any turns. Once you get to Santo Domingo, city, you cross the huge bridge called Puente Duarte. Keep straight. After the bridge, there will be the overpass called "Elevado 27 de febrero". Take the overpass. After you get down from overpass, on the first lights, you will see a construction like a pedestrian walkway overhead. Turn right. That is Maximo Gomez. You will see a furniture shop on your right. Keep going straight for 2 blocks. You will see Banco Popular on your right, tall building. At that interesection you will see another pedestrian walkway overhead, turn left. That is Avenida Kennedy.

Keep straight. Use the overpasses "elevados" on Kennedy. Beware the last overpass that you see turning and swinging left - don't take that or you will end up on the Av. Winston Chuchill, well off your way. On that last overpass, keep on the "ground". This intersection, you will see a large shopping mall and Mc Donal's so you won't miss it.

After that, keep straight, and 2 hours later, you will get to Santiago.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I tried to talk him out of renting until he got to Santiago. Rubio_Higuey, your instructions are very good. They get the HB Seal of Approval.

Hope the guy makes it.

HB

Donato

Jul 7, 2007
Hey Rubio, Great directions very detailed, I also need directions from Santiago to LaVega. The town I am looking for is El Mirador,LaVega. Any help will be greatly appreiated.

DONATO

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Rubio , Buddy.
your directions been as detailed as they could be, but i think for somebody out of town he will end up at some canbanas at the malecon if he's lucky.
when you're down here in bavaro again???
so long
Mike