Best dentist in Santiago

Lafcadio

Jun 5, 2006
Hello everyone,

I would like to know of a first rate dentist for putting in crowns in Santiago. Someone with modern facilities.

A phone number would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
For Endodontist (root canals & microsurgery) use Dr. Manuel Paulino 2nd floor of Edificio Cristal on Calle Sol across from the monument (582-4139).
He's absolutely pain free, sterile, competent and with the most modern and complete equipment I've ever seen.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since most of these are graduates of my PUCMM program, I can say that they are very good. I personally use the first one and the third one.

Good Luck,

HB

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
And, please don't forget Dr Oscar Morel Doctor Oscar Morel - Odont?logo en Santiago de los Caballeros, Rep. Dominicana. He does implants, crowns and other stuff. I'm not a dentist, so I don't know all the different procedures he does, I just know he is very well educated and experienced. He spends the summers working on patients who come from the US to have him do their dental work. His office is in the building right across from the Metro station, easy to find. At least, give him a call and tell him you heard about him on dr1.com! Thanks

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Regarding Dr. Morel in Santiago: Have you (or anyone else) had work done by him?
I am considering some implants - very heavy lifting and no fun to consider.
Does he use gas?
Shiver me timbers - I prefer a visit to the IRS to the dentist.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Sorry I missed this yesterday. Dr Morel did 2 root canals a couple of years ago on me. He is now specializing in implants and more permanent type replacement dentistry. He calls me a "chicken". He is really good at making you comfortable, causing no pain and continually reassures you about the procedure you are undergoing so you know what to expect every minute. Going to the dentist is terrifying for me, but I can admit that I didn't have any pain with Dr Morel. Give him a call and talk to him. He speaks very good english.

Lafcadio

Jun 5, 2006
Thanks Folks!

You guys are a great help. I will use one of them for sure.

Bests, and thanks again.

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
I visited Dr. Oscar Morel two times.

What is good... Office location (across the Metro), a nice building (4th floor), a nice, clean office (a few rooms, very clean everywhere, incl. toilet), nice furniture, reception desk, dental assistant, doctor speaks English.

What is bad... I came with a toothache and I left with the same (if not a stronger) toothache -- after two visits accompanied with a painful and astronomically expensive (by local standards) treatment.

First visit... I had a toothache. Dr. Morel made a temporary feeling. The treatment was painful. No anesthesia, but I do not blame him for this. May be this was a better approach. He charged 1,000 pesos. Scheduled the next appointment in seven days. All seven days I had the same (if not stronger) toothache.

Second visit... Dr. Morel made the x-ray. Told me that x-ray discovered another problem that (he admitted) he overlooked during the first visit. So, as a result, another temporary feeling was needed. The treatment was painful (no anesthesia again). This time he charged 2,500 pesos (for the same work). Scheduled the next appointment in seven days. For a few days I had the same (if not stronger) toothache, then visited another dentist who performed a root canal treatment. Total cost for the root canal treatment (three canals, a few visits): 5,500 pesos.

Dr. Morel told me he does not treat root canals. Based on the info posted here, I assume he treated root canals before. So, it is clear to me that he just did not want to send a "wealthy" American to another dentist to treat root canals. He "tested" my willingness to pay 'tourist' fees by asking 1,000 pesos for a temporary feeling. And after I accepted this, he decided to continue to increase the fees and to schedule more useless visits... on expense of patient's suffering.

I told him I found him by dr1. Of course, he lost me as a patient, lost patients I would send to him. But problem with many of local people is that they make two assumptions: (1) Americans, Canadians, Europeans are very naive and are unable to reveal even primitive tricks; (2) they are so wealthy that don't even notice the difference between 10 USD and 100 USD.

Last edited:

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
>first... you had an infection..

Of course, I had an infection. Now I understand this. This was the reason of pain.

that is supposed to heal first before work is done...

Of course.

i dont believe a dentist did a root canal when you had an infection as this is (could be) big problem...

Correct. During my first visit to another dentist she ordered x-ray. I went to Perfil (Monument area) to do x-ray. After reading the x-ray, she prescribed antibiotics for 5 days (2 pills a day) and informed me that the root canal treatment was the only option. She told me that the total cost would be 5,500 pesos (paid visit by visit in the amounts on my discretion). Then she scheduled the next appointment (in seven days). She did not charge anything for examination and prescribing antibiotics. During my second visit seven days later she ordered and examined the new x-ray. She told me that the infection was almost gone. Same day she started the root canal treatment. She also told me there were three canals in the tooth (this did not affect the total cost). I visited her office multiple times. It was the tooth number seven. She told me it is one of the most difficult molars.

me,, ive been to top practicioners... so i know the ropes and procedures... if he was not good for you. sai la vie
no matter what the d.r. is not n.y. or hollywood. he is a very good dentist.

Dr. Morel is obviously an experienced professional. It is possible that he is a knowledgeable and skilful professional. It is possible that he is an honest with other patients. I just describe my experience with him.

his prices are very comfortable..

It is possible that his prices are fair with other patients. I describe my experience. Three months before visiting Dr. Morel, I contacted by phone another dentist (in Santo Domingo). She asked 500 pesos for a permanent ?resina? filling. At that time I had no pain. All I needed was a filling. But I was in process to move to Santiago and ignored her offer. I recently researched insurance plans. I checked the price list with ARS Humano Plan Dental Premium (Humano is one of the most expensive, as I understand). Humano price for simple permanent filling is 585 pesos. Their prices for emergencias (which is a more appropriate description of my visit to Dr. Morel) are even lower (300 pesos). So, I am sure 3,500 pesos Dr. Morel charged me for two (unnecessary) temporary fillings is three-five times higher than he should ask (even if these fillings were needed). I am also sure he was an experienced dentist and understood that I needed antibiotics, then root canal treatment. During my second visit he even mentioned antibiotics as a "possible prophylactic treatment in addition to pain relief medication". However, when I asked him about possibility of infection, he changed the subject. He prescribed me the pain relief medication "Dorixina Fast" (which did not help at all) but did not prescribe any antibiotics. Probably because he realized that prescribing antibiotics and sending a "wealthy" patient to another dentist was not a wise "business" solution.

hablas dos lenguas..

Yes. He speaks two languages.

doesnt keep you waiting too long.

Correct.

his office waiting room is used by what appears to be nice class of people.

Correct. The office atmosphere is excellent. It looks as a nice dental office in U.S.

theres a good book called 'the tooth trip'. read it...

Thanks

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
Dr. Morel

Dr. Morel told me that he reads dr1. I hope that he will be more careful with other foreigners. So, this post can help his new patients.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
DR. Anny Taveras Tel. 809-841-2769 graduated from PUCMMA fifteen years ago. In the morning she works in Av. Antonio Guzman, Reparto Peralta Santiago in a very clean and comfortable place the fees are affordable by poor people, this where I go & in the afternoon she work in Plaza Matilde Los Jardides Metropolitanos in her husband’s practice luxurious place, but more expensive too.

JJ

imissdr

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for the info. is she doing crown and porcelaine? do you an average of the prices? see here for an exemple (canada well in quebec) x-ray:50$ root canal:700 1 crown:900 (and all this without anastesis...so more money again) thanks!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for the info. is she doing crown and porcelaine? do you an average of the prices? see here for an exemple (canada well in quebec) x-ray:50$ root canal:700 1 crown:900 (and all this without anastesis...so more money again) thanks!

I do not have the exact prices of the dentists in Santiago, but the dentists I see have the following pricing. In my opinion they are one of the best dental groups in the country. In a month or so, they will open a VERY high end dental spa in Santiago.

Dental Cibao Centres for Smile Design - Dominican Republic

- Root Canal - RD$9k (US$250)
- Crown - RD$10-16k - Depending on type

- Panoramic X-ray - RD$400 (US$11)
- Normal X-ray - RD$150 (US$4)
The clinic I go to uses digital x-rays, never seen a charge for them.

- Wisdom teeth extraction (2x normal & 2x impacted) - RD$12k (US$340)
This price includes everything. x-rays, antithesis, follow up visits etc.

The above pricing is an average for private patients, it may vary depending on your exact case. If you have local insurance, you can discount the above 40-100% depending on your coverage.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Correct. During my first visit to another dentist she ordered x-ray.

Sounds like you found a good dentist in the end; I need some dental work done, including a crown - does she do that sort of work; Would you have the name and contact details of the dentist?

mgrnd

Dec 31, 2008
Dr. Morel. Update to my posts: a good news!

This is an update to my posts. Dr. Morel called me today. He explained to me that one of his patients brought his attention to my posts, that he remembers me and feels sorry for the impression I received from my two visits. During our telephone conversation, Dr. Morel clarified his position. Here is the summary:

1. While Dr. Morel cares about his reputation among dr1 members, the main purpose of his call is his desire to change my opinion about his practices.

2. His medical decisions are always made with respect to only one factor: patient's health -- not doctor's "business" interests. In my particular case, he decided to make temporary fillings by only one reason: to avoid (if possible) the root canal treatment.

3. He does not discriminate foreigners. His prices are the same for all patients and according to the price list in his computer. A patient can always bring doctor's attention, if (in patient's opinion) a price asked by the secretary seems to be incorrect.

I titled this update to my post ?a good news? because it shows that:

1. Dr. Morel cares about the patients' opinion about him. In today's world, far not all doctors care about patient's opinion.

2. Dr. Morel understands that doctor's medical decisions should always be made with respect to only one factor: patient's health -- not doctor's "business" interests. Unfortunately, far not all doctors understand this. Some doctors openly declare opposite principle.

3. Dr. Morel understands that doctor's prices should be the same for all patients and according to the price list. Far not all doctors have the same opinion.

4. I hope that my case was an exception and I am sure that new patients of Dr. Morel will leave his office more happy than me.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is an update to my posts. Dr. Morel called me today. He explained to me that one of his patients brought his attention to my posts, that he remembers me and feels sorry for the impression I received from my two visits. During our telephone conversation, Dr. Morel clarified his position.........

The fact that he called you and values DR1, tells many of us a lot about Dr. Morel.

I just wish the DR had more business and medical people as service and patient pro-active as Dr. Morel.

I have only ever heard good things about his work and a few friends I know swear by him.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I had a root canal situation not too long ago. Even though my dentist is in NYC, he worked hard to do everything he could to save the tooth in question.

Aside from my dental office, my one complaint having dealt with doctors here and in the DR is that my treatment in the DR has always been so different.

The doctors in the DR seem much more attentive, and have a much more engaging demeanor with their patients. They just seem more concerned and do not seem at all to be giving you the bum's rush just to hurry you out of the office to get to the next patient.

I visited a dentist in La Vega and found it really cool that he was asking me how my dentist treated my in the states and what sort of procedures they use and was proud to announce that yes, they do the same things in the DR.

So kudos to Dr. Morel for attending to the situation and responding, even though mgrnd had issues with his treatment.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Nothing changed really

This is an update to my posts. Dr. Morel called me today. He explained to me that one of his patients brought his attention to my posts, that he remembers me and feels sorry for the impression I received from my two visits. During our telephone conversation, Dr. Morel clarified his position. Here is the summary:

1. While Dr. Morel cares about his reputation among dr1 members, the main purpose of his call is his desire to change my opinion about his practices.

2. His medical decisions are always made with respect to only one factor: patient's health -- not doctor's "business" interests. In my particular case, he decided to make temporary fillings by only one reason: to avoid (if possible) the root canal treatment.

3. He does not discriminate foreigners. His prices are the same for all patients and according to the price list in his computer. A patient can always bring doctor's attention, if (in patient's opinion) a price asked by the secretary seems to be incorrect.

I titled this update to my post ?a good news? because it shows that:

1. Dr. Morel cares about the patients' opinion about him. In today's world, far not all doctors care about patient's opinion.

2. Dr. Morel understands that doctor's medical decisions should always be made with respect to only one factor: patient's health -- not doctor's "business" interests. Unfortunately, far not all doctors understand this. Some doctors openly declare opposite principle.

3. Dr. Morel understands that doctor's prices should be the same for all patients and according to the price list. Far not all doctors have the same opinion.

4. I hope that my case was an exception and I am sure that new patients of Dr. Morel will leave his office more happy than me.

I don't see that this changes anything; did that improve the service that you received, does it prove that he charges gringos the same as locals? Except for the lip-service, the answer is... No!

So big deal with the telephone call, except showing that the dentist is concerned about his reputation. Basics are that you received lousy treatment at an exorbitant price; We need several independent post-experience comments that this dentist actually has improved and provide equal and cheap service.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Arrica, I can attest to Dr Morel's charactor with 2 incidents. I referred a woman I know who had an accident which damaged the inside of her mouth. Dr Morel treated her with compassion and skill. She left his office with the damage completely corrected and he refused payment.

Another person will be having her front teeth repaired on Monday, again, without cost as she doesn't have much money.

I know many people who have used his services. He will tell you, right out, that he does not do root canal. He usually referres you to another dentist for this.

Dr Morel explained to me that maybe some of the problem with mgrnd might have been a language problem as mgrnd is not a native spanish or english speaker. So some things might have gotten confused in the translation. Not looking for an excuse, just a clarification. I think it was very good of mgrnd to even post a follow-up, so kudos to him for that.

It was said that his charges are listed in his computer and I know that he charges the same for anyone no matter the nationality. Dr Morel is a very professional dentist in every way.

I am sure everyone has a favorite, but don't slam the ones you don't know anything about. My vote stays with Dr Oscal Morel.