Immigration

Pamela69

Sep 2, 2007
I have seen a lot of question about livnig in de DR but i am from Holland and i would like to find out what i would need to bring (papers) for Recedensi.
I am currently living in holland and will be moving to the DR with my 3 kids.
I am have a dominican husband (married in Holland) and my children are born in Holland (having his last name)
Also i need some help because my son has a illnes called PKU en will be needing medicine (not availible in the DR so wil be getting this in holland) and special food (not availible in the DR so will have to buy this in the states) but now i was told that i need a letter from the ministri of health in de DR to get these item in to the country.
Would anybody know anything about this issue's

Thanks
Pamela

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
You will read a lot of opinions here, good and bad.

Then you decide to the right one that will help you, Your husband is Dominicano he knows what is "Macuteo". Almost Nothing is for free there and things works really slow
honestly I have not idea why you need a (Dominican residency) I think it only helps those who have business there. ASk your husband as Dominican Citizen what he can do with his. Good luck, be patient and have some cash handy.

Last edited:

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Pamela69: I don't know anything about the medical stuff or about getting medicines approved to bring into the DR. I do, however, know that to get your residency (if that's what you decide you want to do), you need to have your birth certificate (with official seal on it) and your current Passport. I went through a lawyer to get mine and was able to get it much quicker. If I were you, I'd use someone recommended to me; don't just choose one as all attorney's here are "not created equal". If you do decide this is what you wish to do, I would be happy to send you the name and number of my attorney. She is located in Santo Domingo and is very good, very honest and very kind. She's also very reasonably priced. Send me a PM if you want this info.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Take Your Time

...I am currently living in holland and will be moving to the DR with my 3 kids.

To come here you don't need a 'residencia'.
I'd suggest you check out whether this country is for you (unless you already know from a thorough experience) and your children.
There would still be time to get resident's status afterwards.

Don't rush things.

BTW, welcome to the board and I like your nickname... :cheeky:

Janin

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Pamela,

Please stop worrying so much, you have plenty of time to get your residency, there is no pressure here. There is good medical care and they can usually get all medications, or order them for you. Dont say anything about the food when you arrive at customs, do you speak Spanish? is your husband not travelling with you??? If customs ask just smile sweetly and point to your children.

Good luck and welcome.

BTW I would change your name or you might get rude comments

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
To come here you don't need a 'residencia'.
I'd suggest you check out whether this country is for you (unless you already know from a thorough experience) and your children.
There would still be time to get resident's status afterwards.

Don't rush things.

BTW, welcome to the board and I like your nickname... :cheeky:

Janin

Get down DOM

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Based on the following information about PKU I think you should be able to manage your childs desease and probably get or be able to import without too much problem, Hope I'm right.
Phenylalanine between 2 and 10 mg/dl. Some phenylalanine is
needed for normal growth. This requires a diet that has
some phenylalanine but in much lower amounts than normal.
High protein foods, such as: meat, fish, poultry, eggs,
cheese, milk, dried beans, and peas are avoided. Instead,
measured amounts of cereals, starches, fruits, and
vegetables, along with a milk substitute are usually
recommended. Phenylalanine free formulas are available for
all age groups.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are a foreigner married to a Dominican male, you get citizenship, not residence. It is nearly automatic.
Do not worry about whether the Immigration people will ask, you just come in on a tourist card and then take your time resolving your issues.

HB

Pamela69

Sep 2, 2007
Thanks for al the informatie.
@ Janin The DR is my country if been living there before i had my kids. I had to go back to Holland because of my sons illness and after 14 years of travelling 4 a 5 times a year we can finily move there.
@ Ladybird i have finily found a doctor that would be ably to treath him but in Holland i get the medicine for free insteat of paying around 500 euro's a month we they will order them for me. Maybe i have to try to let them order it in Holland thats an idear.
@ bob saunders On paper it looks very easy but even in Holland it is hard for a kid to cope with this illness but now at 14 years old i am confident he wil be ok in the RD
@ Hillbilly That is new for me, even if we married in Holland?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pamela: All you need is your marriage certificate (translated into Spanish). Ask "drlawyer" about this.

HB

Pamela69

Sep 2, 2007
Just another question: Could y buy a oneway ticket or will the refuse me to enter the country

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are not a resident, you take your chances flying here on a one-way ticket. First, it is unlikely the airline will board you with a one-way ticket if you do not have residency. Worst that can happen is that to let you enter the country they will request that you purchase a return flight, which will be more costly. Some people have recommended buying a reimbursable ticket elsewhere, and getting a refund in SD. The problem being that they will not reimburse you for the taxes and charges to enter the country. Another option is to buy a departure ticket to Haiti (which should be the least expensive ticket).

Pamela69

Sep 2, 2007
i was asking this because there was said that i didn't need to purcase a resedency when i am married to a dominican man

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
That is not true. Marriage does not automatically give you legal residence status in the DR. You will be here illegally once your tourist card runs out. You have the option of opting for citizenship or a residency.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
That is not true. Marriage does not automatically give you legal residence status in the DR. You will be here illegally once your tourist card runs out. You have the option of opting for citizenship or a residency.

So are you a lawyer and why are there two people saying two different things about legal residence? BTW how long before a tourist card runs out????

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
No, I am not a lawyer. I am the editorial director of dr1.com

The duration of the tourist card can be up to 90 days, but the person should check once receiving this from the Migration agent in the airport upon arrival.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To clear up a point. Dolores said you have can "opt" for citizenship. This means you have to ask for it. It does not just fall into your lap.
You have to fill out paperwork, go to a few offices, file applications and so forth.
The fact that a person (female) is married to a Dominican male, facilitates the process and provides a ease of access for Dominican citizenship. That is all. You do not just fall into the citizenship. There is a process to follow.

I do not believe that any airline will allow you to come to the DR on a one way ticket without proof of (a) citizenship or (b) residency. Obviously, if you are planning on staying here and making your home here, then you will have to get one of these two status. THEN, when you travel you can return to the DR without having to prove that you will leave. Therefore, the idea of continuing on to Haiti makes sense.

Not a lawyer, just lots of "hands on" experience with these issues.

HB

diego_illas

Sep 4, 2007
I have some questions

Good morning! My name is Dmitriy. I am from Russia. I am 22 years old. I have finished recently The Pedagogical University and my especiality is Teacher of History and Law. My second education is English. I also know Spanish, Italian (a little). I`d like to ask you: can I work in DR with my profession? Or in the touristic field, because I have expirence in this direction? There is no visa Between DR and my country Russia. So can I get any invitation from a school or a touristic company? How much money should I get with me to come and to colocate in DR? In this time I don`t consider case of immigration, only the possibility of working. Thank you very much.