Wanting to buy apartment in Santiago

Bay1055

Aug 5, 2007
I am interested in buying an apartment in a quiet and neither too popular nor too expensive area in Santiago.
Two bedrooms and two bathrooms will be ok.

Do you know of anything like this?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Congrats on your decision to spend more time in DR. Although I'm sure answers to your question will be forthcoming, I'd like to respectfully offer a suggestion:

Listen to the other folks when they strongly advise you to rent long-term first, before even thinking of buying.

Take your time, get to really know the country. You'll know you're ready to buy and commit yourself when you're so familiar with Santiago's neighborhoods and communities, as well as price points that you don't have to rely on this board to find the answer you're looking for.

It's like buying in the states. You want to be very familiar with an area before you even begin thinking about putting down roots.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can send me a PM, and I'll help you find a couple of people that can help you. Responsible real estate people or builders, your choice.

I totally agree that you might want to rent a place for a while to get a real feel for the place. I think it is the best, but that is just me and the clan.

HB

A

apostropheman

more like the sage posters here are trying to help the newer posters save some money...and aggravation :cheeky:
it looks everyone in this forum just want to make money
YOU might want to take some more time and READ this fine board BEFORE shooting your mouth off about things you know nothing of! :pirate::eek:gre:

:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
papinice:I do hope you were not referring to my post there fella. There is no money involved, just pointing people in the right direction, period.

If there was $$ involved, I would have sent the poster a PM or an email...not publish it on an open board.

Perhaps you have someone in real estate that can offer assistance to the OP??

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Check this out.

You can always use the DR1 real estate info, but here is one that is easy to navigate and has a number of apartments of various sizes and prices in Santiago. Note, if you find one you like say in Cerro Hermosa, you can then come back on the board and ask Santiago experts like Hillbilly or Abz, chip...etc about the area. You said in your original post, not too expensive. Perhaps you need to identify for the rest of us whether you are a cheap SOB or what.
Real Estate Dominican Republic Punta Cana Bavaro Samana Apartments Homes Villas

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are a lot of new condo/apartment buildings going up close to my home in Gurabo. We are on the outside of town about 15-20 min. from downtown.

You're best bet is to get a Dominican friend or family member to inquire about the price. A funny or new york accent will typically cause the price to rasie suddenly. Also, you may be able to rent in the same area for 6 months to see how you like it.

I wouldn't recommend this are if you don't have you're own transportation though. Also, I believe they are asking RD1.5M for a new three bedroom unit. I believe the development is called Guitterez Country.

Jan 5, 2006
I can give you the information for someone that can help you. (PM me if interested.) However, if you are not Dominican, I suggest that you follow Chip's suggestion and find a Dominican friend that can do the inquiring for you, regardless of what real estate agent you use. :)

Bay1055

Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for replies to Wanting apartment in Santiago

I want to thank Hillbilly, Chip, papinice88, Hipocrito Mejia,apostropheman, Bob Saunders and DRob for the orientation I got from your replies to my post. All of your words, in their own tone, have been very useful. Thank you very much.
Bay1055

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Here in Santiago Stay away from the Nunez clan they are not honest in their dealings. Many of unit a sabby construction.