Suspected coup!

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
Today I read about the declarations of Mr. Caama?o, where he states he will take the names of the officials that contacted him to take part in the coup to his grave.

In my opinion this guy is full of it. First thing is: Why did they ever contact him? what are his ideals? what is his opinion towards the actual goverment and the politics this is practicing?

This guy wants to look good in front of the goverment by "chivatiando" a plan, but then when he is "invited" to discuss what he knows about it he says nothing so he can look good in front of the possible conspirators.

He wasn't afraid to say something about the plan, now he is afraid to say anything at all. What a chump.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The whole thing has been downplayed by the military and the government. Anyone with a bit of intelligence can see that this sort of thing is not going to happen, yet.
I say yet just because there might be a point where the people get fed up with the government's inability to manage certain issues (electricity, fuel prices, cost of living) while setting records for corruption, ineptitude and broken promises. Even by spending six billion pesos on "media", the spin doctors can't hide the Metro fiasco or the distortions or gaps between the government "haves" and the population's have-nots".

Remember the famous editorial by Adriano Tejada....for me it was a first alert.

HB

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
The whole thing has been downplayed by the military and the government. Anyone with a bit of intelligence can see that this sort of thing is not going to happen, yet.
I say yet just because there might be a point where the people get fed up with the government's inability to manage certain issues (electricity, fuel prices, cost of living) while setting records for corruption, ineptitude and broken promises. Even by spending six billion pesos on "media", the spin doctors can't hide the Metro fiasco or the distortions or gaps between the government "haves" and the population's have-nots".

HB

HB

Would you never consider standing for office? your patient, knowledge and wisedom would surely make a great contribution to this country

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Today I read about the declarations of Mr. Caama?o, where he states he will take the names of the officials that contacted him to take part in the coup to his grave.

In my opinion this guy is full of it. First thing is: Why did they ever contact him? what are his ideals? what is his opinion towards the actual goverment and the politics this is practicing?

This guy wants to look good in front of the goverment by "chivatiando" a plan, but then when he is "invited" to discuss what he knows about it he says nothing so he can look good in front of the possible conspirators.

He wasn't afraid to say something about the plan, now he is afraid to say anything at all. What a chump.
Did the item you read also mention that he had just written a book & is busily promoting it??

If the item did NOT cover this, expand your reading material a wee bit. Possible coups, insurrection in the military makes EXCELLENT copy for newspapers & helps make publicity for the author!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

HB

I just hope the Government is able to read between the lines of what Claudio Camaa?o is saying. Like you I don't feel there is a current military plot to kill the President & overthrow the Government. Camaa?o's presentation may be theatrical (or 'show' as they say here) but the underlying message is real enough: a LOT of people are p*ssed off. When you get the proletariat and the business owners and the intellectuals all saying the same thing (some more lucidly than others admittedly) then is the time to take note. I keep being reminded of Paris May 1968...............

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Why Not?

It's all about gaining power.

Why should power-hungry generals not team up to get to the feeding trough with the help of a fed up population?

Anything is possible in this country... (the US permitting).

Janin

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Guys if this thing did not happen during Hippos reign, the chances are slimmer now even with the wastefull spending by the present government.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Popularity

Guys if this thing did not happen during Hippos reign, the chances are slimmer now...

One must not forget that 'Hippo' was quite popular with certain people.
Some say he paid a lot of 'botellas' and 'tigueres' and those today say that there was much more money in the street then...
BTW, then I got up to 50 RD$ for the $ and paid only one fourth of the current price (calculated in $) for a box of 'Bohemia' beer.

Janin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Guys if this thing did not happen during Hippos reign, the chances are slimmer now even with the wastefull spending by the present government.

I used to think that too. But I hadn't factored in the dashing of hopes. People had such high hopes for this Government - 'yes we know we've got to tighten our belts for a while, but we're in the hands of good men now'. Then when they discover that the corruption is the same, the spin is the same etc etc all that is different is the level of ability to articulate. Then they get mad not just at the Government but at themselves for allowing themselves to be duped.................that can be fairly potent stuff.

By the way Camaa?o has been chatting with the press again
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=136272&guid=DA6FE616E36C4DAC812B47095DA06109&Seccion=63

And the other thing to remember is all those literacy workers coming from Nicaragua & Venezuela are quite possibly doing a bit of consciousness raising as well as reading & writing.....................

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Well well the Dominican military is taking these rumors seriously. They have made some surprise chances in the ranks.

On another note from same article.
Caama?o Grull?n devel? el complot d?as despu?s que un grupo de generales retirados, vinculados al Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (PRD), denunciaron que el gobierno gestaba un fraude para quedarse el poder, acci?n que advirtieron no la permitir?an.
I find the above quote interesting in that besides the colonels who supposedly spoke to MR Caamano Grullon, there are these generals who know about a fraud that will be perpetrated by the party in power now. The thing is that these retired generals have ties to the opposition party the PRD, so what they said should be taken with a grain of salt. I thought this whole thing was probably a good way to self promote a new book, but there maybe more to this than we think.

Cambian a militares de cargos en medio de rumores de trama

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Don't underestimate the lower class people
In San Pedro de Macoris it is almost every night "huelga" , burning tires, flying bottles and bullets, poor people fighting with the police.
At least 2x 5hours daily without electricity in barrio's with a flatrate for electricity (no not RD$ 0.00, most of them pay RD$500/house)
The promised schooluniforms that never arrived so the prices in the local
stores tripled
The 15 schoolpc's came, yes really, finally a promise that made it, in a morning, during the day members from a certain party took their "share" and in the afternoon only old empty tables were left behind.

Those people get physically raped and ripped of, they are ready for ..... even the marxbrothers will look better for them as goverment.