Radio-controlled items

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Hi all !

An other technical question: do radio-controlled items (watches and clocks) bought in Europe work in DR ?

And do they display real local time or "dominican time" :paranoid: ?

Thx !

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi all !

An other technical question: do radio-controlled items (watches and clocks) bought in Europe work in DR ?

And do they display real local time or "dominican time" :paranoid: ?

Thx !
What are radio controlled watches and clocks?

gini

Dec 12, 2005
It's a good think I speak Froghistany, or I wouldn't have understood that website, and NO, they will not keep correct time here, as they will not receive the signal from Frankfurt.

But I knew that you speak our strange language ;)

I thought that maybe they can receive a signal from an other atomic clock in your neighbourhood.....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
But I knew that you speak our strange language ;)

I thought that maybe they can receive a signal from an other atomic clock in your neighbourhood.....
I'm not an expert on the matter, but IMHO, not a chance.
We don't do atomic in the DR.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Found

...Sh**, where is my remote control ??

2hp3z44.jpg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Another problem with trying to use the "Atomic Clocks" in the DR is that if they are designed for the U.S., they only have 4 time zones, and Atlantic is not one of them. Therefore they would only be correct during U.S. Daylight Savings Time (Using the Eastern Time Zone).

The U.S designed Atomic Clocks work by receiving a signal usually from WWV which is broadcast on several shortwave frequencies, such as 5 mhz, 10 mhz, etc.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I brought one from the UK to Eastern Canada. (It was in my father's effects when he died and I pocketed it.) The watch sat around doing nothing for a couple of years then I replaced the battery and it picked up a signal from somewhere and corrected itself daily -- or more often -- for a few weeks. A little satellite dish icon would appear on the digital face a few minutes before the hour and I could see the numbers skip a second sometimes. After a few weeks it stopped doing that. The icon didn't show up. The battery aparently was no longer up to the job.

I found out that there is a transmitter in Colorado which it might just have shaken hands with -- on the other hand it might have been chatting with a satellite. The available information was sketchy even through Goooogle. The manufacturer's website was cryptic at best.

By the way it knew when we changed here to daylight saving time. I didn't have to tell it. So it had some way of determining time zones.

TimeTicker and the time tickers...

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Gracias to all !I will take it with me to test. Anyway if I do not receive signal, I can use it "non atomically"......but it's more tiring :tired: lol

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I found out that there is a transmitter in Colorado which it might just have shaken hands with -- on the other hand it might have been chatting with a satellite. The available information was sketchy even through Goooogle. The manufacturer's website was cryptic at best.

Here is the link to WWV in Colorado.

NIST Radio Station WWV