Junot Diaz book gets good reviews

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
New York Times Book critic Michiko Kakutani has given Junot Diaz's new book:

"Junot D?az?s ?Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao? is a wondrous, not-so-brief first novel that is so original it can only be described as Mario Vargas Llosa meets ?Star Trek? meets David Foster Wallace meets Kanye West. It is funny, street-smart and keenly observed, and it unfolds from a comic portrait of a second-generation Dominican geek into a harrowing meditation on public and private history and the burdens of familial history. An extraordinarily vibrant book that?s fueled by adrenaline-powered prose, it?s confidently steered through several decades of history by a madcap, magpie voice that?s equally at home talking about Tolkien and Trujillo, anime movies and ancient Dominican curses, sexual shenanigans at Rutgers University and secret police raids in Santo Domingo."

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
First Novel In English?

I recently read a novel in Spanish by Junot Diaz titled "Negocios" (Vintage Espa?ol 1997 - a very hip and tragicomic look at his childhood in DR and teen years in New Jersey woven in with his abandonment by a father who lit out for the Nueva Yol and never returned. I'm sure it's the same guy (there's a picture on the back cover). Well worth reading.

New York Times Book critic Michiko Kakutani has given Junot Diaz's new book:

"Junot D?az?s ?Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao? is a wondrous, not-so-brief first novel that is so original it can only be described as Mario Vargas Llosa meets ?Star Trek? meets David Foster Wallace meets Kanye West. It is funny, street-smart and keenly observed, and it unfolds from a comic portrait of a second-generation Dominican geek into a harrowing meditation on public and private history and the burdens of familial history. An extraordinarily vibrant book that?s fueled by adrenaline-powered prose, it?s confidently steered through several decades of history by a madcap, magpie voice that?s equally at home talking about Tolkien and Trujillo, anime movies and ancient Dominican curses, sexual shenanigans at Rutgers University and secret police raids in Santo Domingo."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
His first book, written in English, published in 1997 or so, is called "Drown". It is a collection of linked short stories. Maybe 'Negocios' was its Spanish title?

I loved "Drown" and really look forward to reading this one. :)

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
His first book, written in English, published in 1997 or so, is called "Drown". It is a collection of linked short stories. Maybe 'Negocios' was its Spanish title?

I loved "Drown" and really look forward to reading this one. :)

I checked the copyright page and you are exactly correct, Chiri. The English title is "Drown".

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Como que por que? ESTOY HABLANDO DE LOS FORISTAS GRINGUITOS, NO de la prensa norteamericana. Oi tu no lee to' lo que dicen ellos de nuestra cultura...que si nuestra comida, que si nuestras pinturas/ artesania es de mala calidad, que si 'eto, que si lo otro...

Yo entiendo que la comida de RD sea mala pa' ello pero algunas veces me parece que esa gente goza de denigrar nuestra cultura.
BACK TO the main topic...yes, I read drown when I was in 10th grade back in the late 90's but I can't remember what was it about. At the time, I was starting to learn english and it was a school assignment...so I didn't pay too much attention :( ...Should read it again and get familiarized w/ his books.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Como que por que? ESTOY HABLANDO DE LOS FORISTAS GRINGUITOS, NO de la prensa norteamericana. Oi tu no lee to' lo que dicen ellos de nuestra cultura...que si nuestra comida, que si nuestras pinturas/ artesania es de mala calidad, que si 'eto, que si lo otro...

Yo entiendo que la comida de RD sea mala pa' ello pero algunas veces me parece que esa gente goza de denigrar nuestra cultura.

Not ALL of us, buddy. Not all of us. :paranoid::)

This man is dedicated - the book was 10 years in the making & in places 50 rewrites............!
Interview with Junot Diaz here:
OTHER VOICES

It's a scary time for Latin American immigrants, and writer Junot Diaz feels the pressure to help

Books: A curse on amor

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao | Book Review | Entertainment Weekly

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Last edited:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Book Reading

Posted on the Domincan Yahoo site:

Sept 6 Junot Diaz NYC new novel reading
Posted by: "Michele Wucker" michele@wucker.com wuckerm
Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:11 am (PST)
*Junot Diaz* (author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao):
Barnes & Noble/Union Square
Thursday, September 6, 7:00 PM
33 E 17th St., New York, NY, 10003
More info: http://booktour. com/author/ junot_diaz

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..life goes in a circle...

Off topic

What's wrong with the food??? I like it. I also like Caf? Santo Domingo, the weather, Bohemia, I like almost all the girls from Campo Lindo!! Yeah, believe it or not I know them and I know where they live, you should go there and have a look. I have enormous respect for Yudelkis Contreras and all the other medal winners from the PanAm games. I love the road from Sanches to Las Terrenas, my favourite piece of road. I don’t like Dominican politicians I think they are a bunch of BS artists and most of them are basically just incompetent.

Back to original topic of discussion

Haven't read Junot Diaz's book but I will one day, I promise.

Last edited:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Funny I ordered Drown from Amazon in 2001 and JUST read it...it was really a great story reminds me so much of my in-laws! Can't wait to see what this new book brings...

K

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My bro sent me the link to the review. Would like to read it. Where to buy it? Probably in Santiago huh????

I need some books people....some books over here in Cabrera......

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Just got home from the B&N signing

Just got back from the B&N signing and the book looks promising. The place was packed, and the guy is dedicated; he made jokes & spoke with everyone! Seems down to earth. I read a couple of chapters from the book and so far I like it, he evens mentions DR1 and that he posted a thread on "fuku", so is Junot Diaz a DR1 member?

Paz

P.S. Buy his book, if just for the fact that he mentions DR1 forums... He's practically giving free advertisement to DR1 :p:D

jsplanet77

Sep 7, 2007
I was also at B&N for the book release and was very surprise by the amount of people that were there. The guy is mad funny and smart.
I want to exort to everyone to read first the short story book "Drown"( Go right Now!), and then Google "Home with a Turtle" another short story by him.
And of course his new book "The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao".
Even if you dont normally read books, I assure you wont be dissapionted.
Especially if you are Dominican and living in the US.
Good bye and Good Luck.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
I too liked the book.
Also try: Dead Man In Paradise" by J.B. Mackinnon (ISBN: 9781595581815).
It is a true account of a Norteno who visits the DR in 2004 to investigate his Uncle's murder during the latter days of Trujillo.
Any DR1'ers who want or need books at expat discount should drop me a line. I own an independent bookstore and do this in remembrance of my many years as an expat.
I routinely ship to the Caribbean and Central America via MIA.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Just Found Out

Just yesterday the marketing director in my company (who knows how pro DR I am) just told me about Junot D?az?s ?Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" so it's funny that I log into DR1 an see this thread. Sounds interesting and it's on my list (just have to finish the 2 that I'm currently reading).

It's great to see that Julia Alvarez is not the only Dominican author writing in the states but I've been wondering for a while whether there are quality authors in DR writing to any significant extent (i.e., quantity).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not in the DR, but Dominican American writers Nelly Rosario and Angie Cruz are also recommended.