Times are changing

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Times are indeed changing in much of Latin America. A recent article in The Economist magazine was focused on the growing middle class all over Latin America, particularly in countries open to freer trade, economic stability, and growth. Signs of such middle class exist in the DR as well and not just in Santo Domingo, but also in all major and mid-size cities - usually provincial capitals - across the country and the open economy and growth has much to do with that. The visual evidence exist in the every growing number of businesses, expansion of businesses that require a sizable middle class (ie. Multicentros La Sirena and other such stores), increasing number of middle class homes/apartment blocks, etc.

Here are a few quotes and the article can be read by clicking at the link at the end of this post.

"They are members of a new middle class that is emerging almost overnight across Brazil and much of Latin America. Tens of millions of such people are the main beneficiaries of the region's hard-won economic stability and recent economic growth. Having left poverty behind, their incipient prosperity is driving the rapid growth of a mass consumer market in a region long notorious for the searing contrast between a small privileged elite and a poor majority. Their advent also promises to transform the region's politics."

"The middle class that is emerging now is very different. It is more accurately described as a lower-middle class. Fernando Henrique Cardoso, a former president of Brazil who is also a sociologist, points out that this class is related more to the market than the state. Many of its members have small businesses, like Mr Gon?alves. Others act as consultants to larger concerns."

"In Mexico, argues Jorge Casta?eda, a political scientist, some of the new middle class come from the informal economy, others from new industries or service businesses. The class is less concentrated in Mexico City and is rougher-edged, culturally and socially, as well as darker-skinned, shorter and more Mexican-looking than its predecessor, he says."

Adi?s to poverty, hola to consumption

-NALs

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I see it all the time in Santiago, (excluding the owners of Porches, Ferraris, and high-end Mercedes). Families who are middle class, enjoying outings in restaurants, bars, water-parks and things we do exactly in the US. Items are not cheap there, you better have room on your credit-card if you want to take your family out to nice restaraunt followed by movies or mall shopping. I don't know how it was many years ago, but now, they appear to be enjoying a nice way of life. Not all of course.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Articles in the Economist are bought and paid for. Not to say they are inaccurate, but I've worked for companies that courted their services and they certainly courted ours, if you know what I mean. They can have interesting articles but they use stringers almost exclusively and if the ad money ain't there the article goes to cyberspace. I was not impressed with their journalistic ethics, if such a thing exists anymore.....
one man's opinion.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
OK With Me

Articles in the Economist are bought and paid for. Not to say they are inaccurate, but I've worked for companies that courted their services and they certainly courted ours, if you know what I mean. They can have interesting articles but they use stringers almost exclusively and if the ad money ain't there the article goes to cyberspace. I was not impressed with their journalistic ethics, if such a thing exists anymore.....
one man's opinion.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Maybe I missed something, but can anyone point out to me where is the Dominican Republic mentioned in the article.:confused:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Nals" is a "SPIN DOCTOR" For The DR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since he doesn't even live in the DR,his "Observations" are suspect at best,and incoherent at worst!!
Cris Colon,actually living,and TRYING to raise 4 kids,in the DR!