Why does anyone live in the DR?

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Initially, I came to DR1 to find information to help me plan a smooth trip to the Dominican Republic.
I have found much travel information, thanks to all the very nice people here. But, I couldn't help but read many threads that have nothing to do with my travel plans.
What I have also found out about the Dominican Republic, it seems, is that there is a ton of crime, no way to earn a living, questionable banks and government, unreliable electricity, Sankies everywhere, and what appears to be a general air of unhappiness among many who live in the DR, particularly the expats.
So why does anyone move to the Dominican Republic?
I'm just curious what motivates you all to stick it out despite all the complaints I've read.
Is it the Beaches? The people? What?
J in Memphis

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Initially, I came to DR1 to find information to help me plan a smooth trip to the Dominican Republic.
I have found much travel information, thanks to all the very nice people here. But, I couldn't help but read many threads that have nothing to do with my travel plans.
What I have also found out about the Dominican Republic, it seems, is that there is a ton of crime, no way to earn a living, questionable banks and government, unreliable electricity, Sankies everywhere, and what appears to be a general air of unhappiness among many who live in the DR, particularly the expats.
I'm just curious what motivates you all to stick it out despite all the complaints I've read.
J in Memphis

For me, THE WOMEN;)

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
J in Memphis

The weather, the women, the friendly people, the beach and how far my USD goes!!!

Last edited:

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
do let them fool you!

J in Memphis

The fact of the matter it's great especially the girls. I live in miami but if you watched the news from Miami you will never come here becasue it's 90% negative but everyone that lives here knows it's great place to live.
They just don't us expats to move down :glasses:

The middle class have everything just like here , cars, houses,some money plus everyone is more friendly down there maybe because of all the presidente's hahaha. Crime is all over the world just can't go to bad place like anywhere. Don't get discouraged!!!!!. If I had money I would be down there!!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Friends, the people in general, the challenge and lack of boredom associated with daily life in a different culture, and the overall more laid back lifestyle and casual socializing than what I find in the U.S. The beaches and mountains provide a nice backdrop to all of the rest of it, but aren't my reason for being here.

Having a few pesos in one's pocket for the duration of your planned stay definitely adds to one's comfort level and ability to overcome many little hassles. If you're an entrepreneur/adventurer at heart, you can do well here. If you're a worker bee in your home country & expect to be a worker bee here - you more than likely won't have an income that would let you live close to your standards back home.

The 'negatives' are just reality - at times made to sound a little worse than they are. Why? In an attempt to overcome the rose-colored statements of some posters and to let those considering a move here know that it's not easy - but doable with the right attitude and prudent steps. A few can't hack it, planned poorly, or made poor choices along the way... and those are the "I am leaving" posts you see. General unhappiness amongst those living here - don't think so.

Not to mention, most of us post when we hear of crimes or our foot's been run over by a motoconcho. We don't post all the great things that happen every day. Good news is seldom reported anywhere!

Last edited:
N

naturelover

if there was a forum in any part of the world you would get more complaints about things than praise

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Have you at least made one trip to find out for yourself?

I would agree with the other replies. Sure, there are some beautiful women here but once you get over that you will experience the real DR. Provided you don't stay locked up in an AI.

For me my best change of heart on the DR was when I met a friend who took me to the "real barrio" and I saw things I could not believe. Without a doubt it changed my way of thinking.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes the women are beautiful here but since I'm already married to one I can't do a lot about that. :) I came here to make my wife happier and found out that for the most part Dominicans are a pleasure to be around - they are much more friendly than most Westerners - of course one might not garner that if one can't "defend" oneself in the local language.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
J in Memphis
http://www.dr1.com/forums/polls/56209-happy-sad-dr.html

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The difference

The difference between living there and here, is that there, you work all week so that you can live on the weekend.
Here, you live everyday.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The difference between living there and here, is that there, you work all week so that you can live on the weekend.
Here, you live everyday.

Talk to any dominican who lives in the states and the one and only reason they left is economics. If it weren't for that they would of stayed.

I've never met a bunch of people who love their country as much as dominicans do, but lets' be real-the sad reality is that the economic opportunities and the chance to better educate ones' children do not exist there for far too many of them.

Having said that a dominican told me once that "whatever you do on the weekends in NYC, we can do here everyday". And that is a major part of the charm.

You really feel like you're living every day, as opposed to waiting for the weekend to let your hair down.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Here, you live everyday.
And most dominicans are to heavy for light work and two light for heavy work HAaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaa Dominican time i love it in about half hour :bunny:two hours later;)

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Talk to any dominican who lives in the states and the one and only reason they left is economics. If it weren't for that they would of stayed.

I've never met a bunch of people who love their country as much as dominicans do, but lets' be real-the sad reality is that the economic opportunities and the chance to better educate ones' children do not exist there for far too many of them.

Having said that a dominican told me once that "whatever you do on the weekends in NYC, we can do here everyday". And that is a major part of the charm.

You really feel like you're living every day, as opposed to waiting for the weekend to let your hair down.

Hear, Hear....

Going to the Colmado is an adventure.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Freedom....women.... Playa...

Reason # ONE: To feel myself a free human being.

Not a miserable slave like in "some" democratic and developed countries with millions of uniformed and undercover cops trying to watch and to control every step of your life and to make it as miserable as possible. Trying to destroy you and put on your knees with road checks, closing lanes on bridges, sting operations, radar traps on highways, issueing tickets in hundreds of $$ for every hint of being independent and free thinking.

Reason # TWO: Yes, women!

To be wanted. To be loved (even if for your money only!). To see competition among 20 y.o. beauties for the privilege to spend a night with you.

Not like in "some" democratic and developed countries where if you are over forty you are considered dead meat and is destined to work only. To work. To work. Like a horse. And to give all the money to somebody. To your always angry and irritated imansipated wife - cold blooded gold-digger. Or in form of endless taxes, tickets, penalties, fines and so on and so on. But to give away everything.

And with just a slightest thought about sex - you are struck with sting operation or sexual harrasment charge.

Reason # THREE: Fifty slow lazy relaxed steps from my bedroom to the warm and marvelous water of the Atlantic Ocean.

In "some" democratic and developed countries all the best beaches and other natural beauties are long ago belong to a limited "elite". Super humans. What is left for the second grade crowd - few dirty spots like Jones Beach or Orchard Beach or Brighton Beach. Overcrowded and polluted. And needing spending two hours in heavy traffic to get there.

One of the few remaining miracle places on Earth - to remind my bretheren-men who we really are the way we were created by Lord.

My beloved Dominican Republic.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Reason # ONE: To feel myself a free human being.

Not a miserable slave like in "some" democratic and developed countries with millions of uniformed and undercover cops trying to watch and to control every step of your life and to make it as miserable as possible. Trying to destroy you and put on your knees with road checks, closing lanes on bridges, sting operations, radar traps on highways, issueing tickets in hundreds of $$ for every hint of being independent and free thinking.

Reason # TWO: Yes, women!

To be wanted. To be loved (even if for your money only!). To see competition among 20 y.o. beauties for the privilege to spend a night with you.

Not like in "some" democratic and developed countries where if you are over forty you are considered dead meat and is destined to work only. To work. To work. Like a horse. And to give all the money to somebody. To your always angry and irritated imansipated wife - cold blooded gold-digger. Or in form of endless taxes, tickets, penalties, fines and so on and so on. But to give away everything.

And with just a slightest thought about sex - you are struck with sting operation or sexual harrasment charge.

Reason # THREE: Fifty slow lazy relaxed steps from my bedroom to the warm and marvelous water of the Atlantic Ocean.

In "some" democratic and developed countries all the best beaches and other natural beauties are long ago belong to a limited "elite". Super humans. What is left for the second grade crowd - few dirty spots like Jones Beach or Orchard Beach or Brighton Beach. Overcrowded and polluted. And needing spending two hours in heavy traffic to get there.

One of the few remaining miracle places on Earth - to remind my bretheren-men who we really are the way we were created by Lord.

My beloved Dominican Republic.

Wow!!! you are human after all - that is a wonderful description, thank you.

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Here, you live everyday.

I Agree,

Americans Live to work however Dominicans work to live...

A very true generalization and statement...

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Attention

The good, the bad and the ugly all receive attention here that they do not
receive elsewhere, at any price. And we all need attention. Misfits.... used to be a negative term but has become somewhat, well, chic. (que horror). So you livers of life seeking acceptance may wind up here, and join the rest of us misfits. If that is your ilk, come on down and give it a try. The only thing you have to lose is time, the most precious commdity.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The good, the bad and the ugly all receive attention here that they do not
receive elsewhere, at any price. And we all need attention. Misfits.... used to be a negative term but has become somewhat, well, chic. (que horror). So you livers of life seeking acceptance may wind up here, and join the rest of us misfits. If that is your ilk, come on down and give it a try. The only thing you have to lose is time, the most precious commdity.

Not necessarily down... across also works as well!!! And we don't necessarily lose time, it just moves faster here!! :ermm:

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
There is a characteristic of most (though not all) dominicans that I find refreshing. I will try to explain it.

Most Americans and other (canandians, brits, etc.) ALWAYS want more. More of everything. More money, better cars, bigger homes...more. While most dominicans have little and would love a lottery payoff, they seem reasonably content with their lives. They are not always pushing for more.

They have/make time to laugh, sing, dance and enjoy time with family and friends.

Dominican people are also very aware of how other people feel. They care about each other. I have many friends and co-workers who can sense if I am upset about something. I won't have said anything and I do not think I am showing how I feel....but they know. They notice. They ask if I am OK.

I lived in the US for over 40 years. I have lived in 5 states and over a dozen communities -- big cities, small cities and even a town of about 10,000 people. I don't think you find in the US many people with the characteristics I described above.

I have lived here for 1.5 years and I really like it in the DR. It drives me crazy some days -- but any place would do the same. Come visit. See for yourself.

Jim
-- Juan Dolio --