Transportation from La Romana to Punta Cana

banders

Sep 10, 2007
I will be staying at the Oasis Canoa in La Romana and need help figuring out transportation to and from the airports. We will be flying into La Romana (LRM). But because of the way the airline schedules work out, our return flight leaves from Punta Cana (PUJ). What is the cheapest way to get from LRM to our hotel and from our hotel to PUJ? Are there buses that we can take? Thanks for your help!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From LRM airport to your hotel, it is best to take an airport taxi. Should cost about US$35-US$40 and is about a 25 minute ride.

A taxi from Oasis Canoa to PUJ airport is US$90. Would be the best way to go if you could find someone else to share the fare. The taxi will board up to 5 persons for that fare.

Otherwise... You will need to take a taxi (probably US$30) to La Romana's Central Park to then catch the commuter bus to Higuey, cost of less than RD$100 (US$3). Your taxi can assist you in getting on the right bus. That bus will take you to Higuey, where you will have to change again for a Sitrabapu-Sichoprola commuter bus (another no more than US$3) (Tel 809 468-4333) that stops in front of the Punta Cana Airport. You need to specify you want the bus that makes that stop, as not all buses do. The buses leave almost every half an hour, but figure four hours to get this done, between taking the taxis, and changing buses. From La Romana to PUJ is about a two hour drive.

So, figuring you need to pay US$30 to get to La Romana to catch the cheap bus, it probably is worth the additional US$60 to get to the Punta Cana airport by taxi -- or the US$90 fare.

Maybe you get lucky and you find someone headed in that direction to share a taxi or give you a lift.

If I were you, when in the hotel I would network to find someone who could drop you off, or maybe one of the tour operator buses will give you a better rate for the commute.

Last edited:

banders

Sep 10, 2007
Thank you Dolores. I guess a taxi is the way to go. Hopefully we can find someone else to split the fare with!

-Thanks!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Prebooking does not seem necessary if the taxi union at the hotel quoted us the US$90 fare to take a hotel guest to the PUJ airport. This can be double checked by the posters by calling the hotel directly at 809 682 2662 and asking for the taxi union desk.

banders

Sep 10, 2007
Thank you Kaki and Dolores for your input.

I just saw that I can get a rental car for the 3 days that I'm there for around $125. That's cheaper than a taxi for 2 people to and from the airport. Is renting a car advisable? I've driven in big cities and rural areas in the US, as well as Ireland and other places in Europe. I've never had a problem. Is there anything different I should expect? What are gas prices there? Is it easy to find parking? Do resorts usually charge for parking?

Thanks again for your help.

banders

Sep 10, 2007
Does anyone know how to get to Altos de Chavon from my hotel - Oasis Canoa in Bahihibe? I can't find a map or directions anywhere. Are there buses that run there? If I rent a car can I drive there and find parking?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Go for it! Then you can see La Romana town, with its many art galleries (such as Tambourini, and El Artistico), and of course Altos de Chavon (email for clearance to enter Casa de Campo through their contact email at http://www.dr1.com/directories/hotels/casa_de_campo.shtml). And get to the Oasis Canoa from the airport, and then on to PUJ, where it is probable you could drop the car off. So you avoid many US$30s for taxi rides.

Check with National Car Rental that has offices in La Romana and Punta Cana. See http://www.dr1.com/national

As for driving, just stick to daytime driving as there is little signage and less lighting – the opposite from driving in Europe. But, someone told me and I have to agree, that the reason there is little signage is that people have relied on asking, and getting an answer. So, do like Dominicans and ask when you think you are wrong and ask when you think you are headed in the right direction.

At the LRM airport they will give you a map to get to your resort. It is a basic go East and then turn South at the big sign that says Bayahibe. Then you take that road all the way to where it ends – avoiding a turn to the right that would take you to Bayahibe town – and you will get to your hotel.

Since you will have a car, visit Bayahibe beach town. When there, try to take an excursion to visit La Catalinita and Saona islands. Bring your snorkeling equipment. Also, take time to visit the public beach, right east of Dominicus Palace. I think that is the best part of the entire Dominicus/Bayahibe beach. If you are a diver, Bayahibe is one of the best places in the country for dive excursions.

To get to Altos de Chavon from your hotel you need to backtrack up the road to Bayahibe and take a left. That highway will bring you back to La Romana Airport, that you want to pass and continue until the road turns south and you see the Caribbean Sea. Shortly you will come to the main entrance of Casa de Campo. You will need to use this main entrance to visit Altos de Chavon. You will need to have called ahead to the Casa de Campo tel in the link above to get cleared for entering. Once inside, you could also visit the Marina de Casa de Campo. Shopping at Jenny Polanco/Bibi Leon (clothing and crafts) and Fiori store (for artsy handbags). Lots of parking.

From the Bayahibe crossroad, it is about a two hour drive to PUJ. You need to go East (take a right) once you get back to the big Bayahibe sign where you turned South to go to Bayahibe. Head East until you get to Higuey town. You will previously come to a cross in the road, take the left turn, not the right that will lead you to Boca de Yuma.

Continue East until you get to Higuey town. Then you need to pass the Basilica La Altagracia, the largest cathedral in the Caribbean. If you had time, you could make a stop and browse through it and pay homage to the Virgen de la Altagracia, the protector of the Dominican people.

Next you will come to a turn in the road and you need to head south, not north. This will bring you to cross Higuey and onto a road that you just need to follow until it brings you to the airport. Almost in front of the airport is Punta Cana Village shopping galleria. You can have a good lunch there. Variety of restaurants and shops.

Enjoy! Having a car truly opens up a new world of sightseeing.