Has anyone been to Celuisma Tropical ( ex Playa Naco)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
Hi everyone

Has anyone been to the Celuisma Tropical ( which used to be Playa Naco ) in the Playa Dorada complex ?

The Playa Naco was getting a bit run down when I was there in 2005.

I am bringing 40 people there in February and I hope the Celuisma Hotel ( new owners ) have made some good improvements.

Can anyone give me an update ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Al ( Canadian-Diver )

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I was there

but it was back in March--improvements were just beginning. I found it a bit run down (the rooms)-- very musty smelling in the rooms and to be honest I did expect a little more. There was not a stocked fridge--nothing in the fridge the entire time we were there and on the website it had been advertised as such. The phones in the rooms did not work either. Luckily we did not spend much time in the room so it really did not matter that much to us.

On the positive side, the food was very good, the people very friendly and your trip is what you make it. It rained 6 out of the 7 days we were there but we didn't dwell on it--can't change the weather!

I am not sure what improvements, if any, have been completed since March. You might want to check out your room beforehand and upgrade to a better one if you can.

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
Celuisma Tropical Dorada ??? ( ex Playa Naco )

Thanks for the report Canbon

When 60 of us were there in 2005, one of the main pumps failed so no one could shower for the week. It was a stroke of bad luck... But yes the food and service was great...

Our phones did not work either ( lol )

I have heard that Celuisma Hotels is investing 25 million dollars to fix it up. I know it'll take time and I hope they do a good job.

Anyone been there recently ?

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Celuisma Playa Dorada

Hello Al,

I live just down the street from Playa Dorada. Haven't been inside any of the rooms myself since March, 2007. Unfortunately, I didn't see much improvement at that time, however, I DO know that the finalization of the new owners had only taken place as of December, 2006. I periodically go inside the resort to say hello to a few folks who work there and the last time I was there, I saw a few changes around the outside, but couldn't see further than the outside as I'm not allowed inside the rooms. What I CAN do for you is check it out further and get back to you. I can inquire with my "inside connection" about what's going on with the improvements. Can't promise anything but I will definately try. I have a personal investment myself so I'm also looking to see changes.

I've also heard that the food has improved and it wasn't bad before.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
There is no way they spent 25 million dollars on this renovation! Maybe 25 million pesos.......... The renos are mainly cosmetic. There is not much substantialy changed, the place is still a 2 star at best, the food variety and quality will depend on their occupancy, lower occupancy means less choice and certainly lower quality. The entertainment is lacking. However, as I understand it they are priced well!

This would definately not be my first choice of resort in Playa Dorada!

Canadian-Diver

Jan 8, 2005
Hmmmm it's not sounding too good , is it ? Thanks for the info Planner.

Trabajadora, if you could find out more, I'd appreciate it.

In 2005, many in our group of 60 said they were let down and would not go back there. I have a group of 40 this time and we will be there in Feb 2008. I hope it gets better before then.

We know its not a 5 star resort but we thought maybe it was up to a 3 0r 4 star.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Playa Naco

What about trying Puerto Plata Village. I was there in Jan 2005. It's right beside Playa Naco. Not a bad place. I thought I heard rumours that they too had changed mngt but not 100% on that. It's reasonably priced and I had no problems with food or service.
Good luck

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Puerto Plata Village is not next door to the Celuisma, it is in Playa Dorada.

In my opinion best value for your dollar at the 3 star level will be the Fun Royale FUn Tropicale

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I stayed at the Coral Marien in September 2005. Very nice, and reasonably priced. You might want to look at a better resort. Asking your group to pay just a little bit more may very well significantly improve your experience.

Good luck.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Celuisma

Canadian-Diver: I'm already looking into it for you and will let you know what I can find out.

Planner: Of course they haven't spent 25 million dollars in renovations. They do have a plan and it will take some time. They are renovating two resorts. Playa Dorada and Cabarete as well.

I wasn't satisfied my last stay either and was very happy to know it had changed hands. Hopefully it will more than a 2 star or even a 3 star in the near future.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
just an idea!!!

We usually stay ay the Viva Wyndham Playa Dorda next door to (playa naco) . We've been there 3 times, with friends and family and we also had some kids with us too. Really nice resort , clean, friendly staff, lots of great entertainment, Food could be better. Usually can get a pretty good price. Depends on what you are looking for. Great for couples, and families, not for the younger crowd looking for some action. I also looked at the Grand Vetana, a couple resorts down. The next time we book , we are thiking of trying it out. Went inside and looked around, looked pretty good. Getting sick of the same resort wanna try something new, food , people, ect.... Also stayed at the Riu Mambo before, great food, entertainment was grerat!!! Just a few ideas . Good luck!!!! My girlfriend stayed at the Tropical(playa naco in jan 2007) she hated it she tried to move to Viva and they would'nt let her. Bar fridge was empty, never filled it. Never replaced the towels ect... That's what she told us. I don't know never stayed there. But I did go inside they were trying to sell us a time share, so we did look around. Not somewhere you wanna stay week or longer. Try looking up trip advisory or debbies travel page, and read the reviews of other tourists trips, they even post photos too. Good luck once again.....

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Celuisma

Canadian-Diver:

Well, looks like my inside connection is too busy to connect me (lol). I'm still waiting but then again, I keep forgetting this IS the DR; what was I thinking??
By the time I get an answer you will have come and gone twice. Anyway, I just wanted to confirm what castro said about Viva Wyndham. My cousin stayed there both in July of this year and again in August. He was very satisfied, except for the food. (They just ate out every day.) Gran Ventana from what I've heard is very nice also.

Sunny2: I don't know if the place in Cabarete used to be Barcelo Punta Goleta. I only just drove by and looked at the outside after Celuisma bought it. I know they have their new sign out front though.

Good luck Canadian-Diver; I just put in a call over at Celuisma. I'm waiting for a phone call back as there was a staff meeting going on, but I'm NOT holding my breath. I'll keep you posted....

VincenteDiana

Jan 10, 2002
Celuisma Tropical (Playa Naco)

Celuisma Tropical, formerly Playa Naco, IS on the Playa Dorada complex. We were there in 2006 and everything was fine, except for the room. It's true that you don't spend much time in the room but ours had carpet on the floor. There was an extremely strong musty smell and it was very unpleasant. Our friend's room did not have carpet and it was perfect. So if they give you a room with carpet, ask for a new room. It is a 3* resort and it's very nice. Just don't expect a 5* and everything will be perfect. Enjoy the sun, the nicest beach on Playa Dorada, the food, the drinks, and everything Dominican!

Status
Not open for further replies.