US Citizenship

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
We are trying to find out the ins and outs of doing this citizenship for my mom. It seems that she lost one of her passports so there's no documentation of her being in the US for about 2 years of the past 5. Where can I go to find this info out without the passport? Someone told her that without this she may have to wait 2 1/2 years before she applies. Help me!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Talldrink: I don't think you need to have a passport that shows when you first came in. Her green card will show that she's been a resident for X number of years. What she needs to show is that she has lived in The US for at least 30 months of the last 5 years. If she has lived out of the country for more that six months at a time then the time gets resets and the number of consecutive months start again.

I hope your mom can speak some English. I'm trying to do the same thing for my mom and that's probably going to be the biggest challenge. Good luck....

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Actually she's eligible to take it in Spanish. Also, she was able to get 'stamps' on her passports from the DR consulate (for a few pesos, you can buy anything in DR - dont ya love it!!) anyway - now Im looking to see what actually appears as her entries to the US. Thats the hard part without the actual passport.

Thanks for the info Anna. I have to read over it...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Actually she's eligible to take it in Spanish. Also, she was able to get 'stamps' on her passports from the DR consulate (for a few pesos, you can buy anything in DR - dont ya love it!!) anyway - now Im looking to see what actually appears as her entries to the US. Thats the hard part without the actual passport.

May I ask about her eligibility to take it in Spanish. What angle are you using if you don't mind me asking?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How copying helps

Regarding this issue: I had copies of my friend's passport and visa before it was stolen 3 weeks ago. She got her new passport quickly but the new visa is not that easy or quick.
Just a reminder to everybody to make copies of these docs. and keep in separate location.

drny

Jun 12, 2007
May I ask about her eligibility to take it in Spanish. What angle are you using if you don't mind me asking?

My dad took his in Spanish. As I understood it from him, if you've been a permanent resident and have lived in the US for over twenty years then they'll allow you to take it in Spanish.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
A friend of mine who's been here since '78, was ready to go for her citizenship like 7 years ago.....At that time she realized she had lost her green card...She went to Immigration to get the paperwork needed to replace it...and was told by a very bitchy woman "Oh, you shouldn't even be walking around without your green card...'cause even though your number is valid, there is no record of you in our system"...Apparently, when the records where put into the system (computers) some paper records were lost...hers seems to be one of them...

She contacted a lawyer...who so far has charged her over $4000...and who, very stupidly IMHO, started her paperwork from scratch...as if her grown daughter was petitioning for her...THE WOMAN has been here for almost 30 years!!! BUT...since she has not papers to prove it...(she never went back to her country) now she has to wait!!!!

Every year she has to request and PAY for a new employment authorization permit, until her case gets approved...

THIS is the MOST F***** up system in the world!!! And it happens in the greatest country in the world...It's unbelievable...She went to talk to an Immigration officer this past tuesday, on my prodding, and the lady told her...'Your case is being processed...you just need to wait'...How unnerving!!!!

So, if your Mom has to wait a couple of years, consider yourself lucky...But if she has at least one passport with her comings and goings...she should be fine...there HAS to be records of her trips in their system...

As far as taking the test in Spanish, I think it depends on the age of the applicant...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A friend of mine who's been here since '78, was ready to go for her citizenship like 7 years ago.....At that time she realized she had lost her green card...She went to Immigration to get the paperwork needed to replace it...and was told by a very bitchy woman "Oh, you shouldn't even be walking around without your green card...'cause even though your number is valid, there is no record of you in our system"...Apparently, when the records where put into the system (computers) some paper records were lost...hers seems to be one of them...

She contacted a lawyer...who so far has charged her over $4000...and who, very stupidly IMHO, started her paperwork from scratch...as if her grown daughter was petitioning for her...THE WOMAN has been here for almost 30 years!!! BUT...since she has not papers to prove it...(she never went back to her country) now she has to wait!!!!

Every year she has to request and PAY for a new employment authorization permit, until her case gets approved...

THIS is the MOST F***** up system in the world!!! And it happens in the greatest country in the world...It's unbelievable...She went to talk to an Immigration officer this past tuesday, on my prodding, and the lady told her...'Your case is being processed...you just need to wait'...How unnerving!!!!

So, if your Mom has to wait a couple of years, consider yourself lucky...But if she has at least one passport with her comings and goings...she should be fine...there HAS to be records of her trips in their system...

As far as taking the test in Spanish, I think it depends on the age of the applicant...

With regard to your friend, have here contact her Representative and have them do a Congressional inquiry if she believes that she isn't getting the service they should. I did that once and it greatly expedited my wife's residency petition and am currently in the same process to resolve an issue with her green card.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks, Chip...I already suggested that...let's see if she follows through...Sometimes she seems a little bit too laid back, you know? I won't get more involved if she doesn't seem to want to do more for herself...

This is a woman my sister and I have known for a long time, since high school...she's from Argentina...but she was married to a guy from Uruguay...a good friend of the family...

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
My dad took his in Spanish. As I understood it from him, if you've been a permanent resident and have lived in the US for over twenty years then they'll allow you to take it in Spanish.

If I am not mistaken, to take the test in your native language has to do with your age.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
On a related matter..........

.........I have always wondered WHAT happens if someone were NOT to pass the test? Does this happen very often? Does anyone know of anyone that didn't pass? ......... It is one topic I don't think I have ever seen discussed on this message board!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
You can take the test in your native language if you are over 55 years of age and have been in the country for at least 20 years.

I already suggested that...let's see if she follows through...Sometimes she seems a little bit too laid back, you know? I won't get more involved if she doesn't seem to want to do more for herself...

Musicqueen - for a moment there I thought she was Dominican!

have here contact her Representative and have them do a Congressional inquiry if she believes that she isn't getting the service they should. I did that once and it greatly expedited my wife's residency petition and am currently in the same process to resolve an issue with her green card.

Chip - who is 'the Representative' you refer to here? How do I contact my mom's?

My mom had to apply for a new green card because hers was one of the ones that didnt have an expiration date. That cost $370 - but is not even her fault that the state changed their laws!

I think I'm going to get an appointment with the INS office and just go and ask them to pull her up and just talk to someone. This is the Dominican side of me. I think her case with her stamps and lack of passport is getting complicated to me.

Also, wait TWO years to even apply?? I have to get to the bottom of this ASAP!

drny

Jun 12, 2007
If I am not mistaken, to take the test in your native language has to do with your age.

I think you're right. It's time holding permanent residency and being over a certain age.
(He was in his late 50's).

Thanks for the reminder:)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Talldrink...the state Rep in your area...or where your Mom lives...get in touch with their office...I contacted mine to let her know of the backlog in SDQ when we applied for Tony's visa...and even though she couldn't help much, they were very nice and concerned about the whole thing...

NOW is the time to put pressure on these people...with the elections coming up...they are VERY interested in helping with ANYTHING Immigration related...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Lil' Bush

Sep 11, 2007
.........I have always wondered WHAT happens if someone were NOT to pass the test? Does this happen very often? Does anyone know of anyone that didn't pass? ......... It is one topic I don't think I have ever seen discussed on this message board!

Nothing happens if you fail; you're still a legal resident.

Some testers used to "help" the test-takers with easy questions like the colors of the stars and stripes, the number of states in the Union, and "the name of the song of the United States."

That last part is in quotes 'cause that's exactly how the tester phrased the question to me.

Had I known then what I know now, I would've answered with "Sweet Home Alabama" or "The South Gonna Do it Again," instead of challenging the tester to get serious and stop his condescension.

There's a new set of questions which requires less rote memorization but better understanding of constitutional issues and concepts like the social contract between the government and the governed.

Frankly, while most support groups and organizations are claiming the new test is biased against the poor and less educated, it is a far better barometer of gauging one's desire to learn about one's adopted country.