Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So you're bored in Sosua...

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So you're bored in Sosua...

That really shouldn't happen, considering how many things there are to do, but if you're looking for something different and not too expensive, a trip out to Rio San Juan may be just the thing you're looking for.

Laguna Gri Gri is spring fed, so despite being only a short distance to the open ocean, the lagoon is fresh water.

On the ride out to sea, you go through the mangroves, where you'll see a variety of birds, including vultures.

We rented a boat for a 2 hour excursion with a few stops for snorkeling.
    This is Elvis, our boat captain.
    The total price including the snorkeling gear was 1,800 pesos (approx 55 bux)

Always bring good company when you go on an adventure ride.

The mangroves are spectacular.

The colour of the ocean is awesome and the clarity is perfect for diving or snorkeling

This is a cave that they ride you into in the boat.

There were many nice shallow reefs for snorkeling, full of tropical fish, and Elvis was smart enough to bring bananas along to chum the fishies.

This natural bridge was caused by an eartquake/seaquake back in the 50's

2. Likes windrider, frank12, Polar Bear liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DAKRA View Post
    Awesome pictures!
    Thanks Dakra.

In response to other inquiries about the title,
    I am confused re "bored in Sosua". It read like you were answering a previous post.

I should have been a bit more clear.
    Amazing as it may seem, I frequently hear from people that either they were bored or are concerned that they will be bored in Sosua during their vacations.
    That seems absurd to me, since I've been trying to find the time to be bored for 16 years and haven't succeeded, thus the title and a proposed adventure.
    With time, we might get enough of these day trips with pix to just offer up the links to those who are concerned about boredom.

5. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bueno, tu sabe...pa' los gustos se hicieron los colores. I think that it is true that DR can be boring, due to the lack of cultural sites....at least in the major tourist towns...I don't understand why in this day and age, a town like Sosua (that has many years as a tourist enclave) still doesn't have museums. art galleries, plazas, theaters, etc.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funnyyale26 View Post
    ...I don't understand why in this day and age, a town like Sosua (that has many years as a tourist enclave) still doesn't have museums. art galleries, plazas, theaters, etc.
    Well for one thing, because then it would no longer be Sosua. Enjoy this town for the playa, nightlife, conviviality, relaxation and daytrips. Save the cultural aspirations for excursions to Rome, London, Madrid, etc. This is the Caribbean, after all.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

Always bring good company when you go on an adventure ride.
    what about the bod, dude?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

How far is Laguna Gri-Gri is from Sosua?

Can you get there via public transportation easily?

The last time I was there I went by car and don't really remember.

Is the fee you paid for the boat or is it per person?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    How far is Laguna Gri-Gri is from Sosua?

Can you get there via public transportation easily?

The last time I was there I went by car and don't really remember.

Is the fee you paid for the boat or is it per person?
    I drive it in a bit less than an hour.
    In public transport, I expect it would take 1 hr 20 min and cost 60 or 70 pesos.
    The price was the total, so it worked out to 900 pesos apiece.

Post Thanks / Like

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Funnyyale26
    ...I don't understand why in this day and age, a town like Sosua (that has many years as a tourist enclave) still doesn't have museums. art galleries, plazas, theaters, etc.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Laszlo View Post
    Well for one thing, because then it would no longer be Sosua. Enjoy this town for the playa, nightlife, conviviality, relaxation and daytrips. Save the cultural aspirations for excursions to Rome, London, Madrid, etc. This is the Caribbean, after all.
    Bien dicho, Seņor Victor.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been out there with a tour group. you could probably hire a good driver to take you also. i'm a frequent visitor to sosua and i've never been bored. i always plan my days BEFORE i get there to ensure no boredom takes place. i just pick up the phone and arrange things.
    and of course all the info i get for my trip is from the great folks on this website..

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast