So you're bored in Sosua...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That really shouldn't happen, considering how many things there are to do, but if you're looking for something different and not too expensive, a trip out to Rio San Juan may be just the thing you're looking for.

Laguna Gri Gri is spring fed, so despite being only a short distance to the open ocean, the lagoon is fresh water.
RioSanJuanBrendy5.jpg

RioSanJuanBrendy8.jpg

On the ride out to sea, you go through the mangroves, where you'll see a variety of birds, including vultures.
RioSanJuanBrendy15.jpg

We rented a boat for a 2 hour excursion with a few stops for snorkeling.
This is Elvis, our boat captain.
The total price including the snorkeling gear was 1,800 pesos (approx 55 bux)
RioSanJuanBrendy18.jpg

Always bring good company when you go on an adventure ride.
RioSanJuanBrendy19-1.jpg

The mangroves are spectacular.
RioSanJuanBrendy24-1.jpg

The colour of the ocean is awesome and the clarity is perfect for diving or snorkeling
RioSanJuanBrendy35.jpg

This is a cave that they ride you into in the boat.
RioSanJuanBrendy48-1.jpg

There were many nice shallow reefs for snorkeling, full of tropical fish, and Elvis was smart enough to bring bananas along to chum the fishies.
RioSanJuanBrendy51-1.jpg

This natural bridge was caused by an eartquake/seaquake back in the 50's
RioSanJuanBrendy53.jpg

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Awesome pictures!
Thanks Dakra.

In response to other inquiries about the title,
I am confused re "bored in Sosua". :ermm:It read like you were answering a previous post.

I should have been a bit more clear.
Amazing as it may seem, I frequently hear from people that either they were bored or are concerned that they will be bored in Sosua during their vacations.
That seems absurd to me, since I've been trying to find the time to be bored for 16 years and haven't succeeded, thus the title and a proposed adventure.
With time, we might get enough of these day trips with pix to just offer up the links to those who are concerned about boredom.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Bueno, tu sabe...pa' los gustos se hicieron los colores. I think that it is true that DR can be boring, due to the lack of cultural sites....at least in the major tourist towns...I don't understand why in this day and age, a town like Sosua (that has many years as a tourist enclave) still doesn't have museums. art galleries, plazas, theaters, etc.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
...I don't understand why in this day and age, a town like Sosua (that has many years as a tourist enclave) still doesn't have museums. art galleries, plazas, theaters, etc.
Well for one thing, because then it would no longer be Sosua. Enjoy this town for the playa, nightlife, conviviality, relaxation and daytrips. Save the cultural aspirations for excursions to Rome, London, Madrid, etc. This is the Caribbean, after all.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
How far is Laguna Gri-Gri is from Sosua?

Can you get there via public transportation easily?

The last time I was there I went by car and don't really remember.

Is the fee you paid for the boat or is it per person?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How far is Laguna Gri-Gri is from Sosua?

Can you get there via public transportation easily?

The last time I was there I went by car and don't really remember.

Is the fee you paid for the boat or is it per person?
I drive it in a bit less than an hour.
In public transport, I expect it would take 1 hr 20 min and cost 60 or 70 pesos.
The price was the total, so it worked out to 900 pesos apiece.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Funnyyale26
...I don't understand why in this day and age, a town like Sosua (that has many years as a tourist enclave) still doesn't have museums. art galleries, plazas, theaters, etc.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well for one thing, because then it would no longer be Sosua. Enjoy this town for the playa, nightlife, conviviality, relaxation and daytrips. Save the cultural aspirations for excursions to Rome, London, Madrid, etc. This is the Caribbean, after all.
Bien dicho, Se?or Victor.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've been out there with a tour group. you could probably hire a good driver to take you also. i'm a frequent visitor to sosua and i've never been bored. i always plan my days BEFORE i get there to ensure no boredom takes place. i just pick up the phone and arrange things.
and of course all the info i get for my trip is from the great folks on this website..

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hey Marco,

this thread is going to get you into alot of trouble.

You're going to have people coming to you to take them out on excursions!!!

You'll be responsible for transportation, logistics and bringing along cute chicas for everyone!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Marco,

this thread is going to get you into alot of trouble.

You're going to have people coming to you to take them out on excursions!!!

You'll be responsible for transportation, logistics and bringing along cute chicas for everyone!!!
I'll send them all to you.
I just post the possibilities.
Anyone can rent a car, a 4 X 4, a bike, take public transport, find a nice companion.
They don't need me for that.
Besides, ;) I'm not sharing. ;)

PS: Thanks Dakra, Clem, Victor, Berzin & Kyle, for seeing the positive side of life.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I remember Laguna Gri Gri well.

We stopped there coming back from Playa Grande and in picture #2 of the original post, to the right of where the stairs are there were a bunch of kids who formed a line and took turns running in and diving into the water where the boats are docked.

So I joined the conga line and one of the kids looked back and said to a friend,

"Este gringo se va a matar!!!"

To which I answered, "No te apure!! Yo se nadar!"

So as I began my sprint to the edge I slipped, spun in the air and fell headfirst right into the water, rather violently I may add.

To gather some sympathy I stayed submerged for as long as I could. And when I resurfaced and everyone saw that I was OK, they began laughing hysterically.

At first my chica thought I had gotten hurt and was a little concerned, but it was more embarrassing than anything else and she wound up getting a good laugh out of it too.

After that I began doing it like the kids and just slid across and jumped right at the edge as opposed to taking a massive sprint and then trying to leap into the water.

A fun time was had by all!!! :cheeky:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Let me re-phrase that-A fun time was had by all, minor concussion notwithstanding!!!:hurt:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Life is good.

Was in POP today with my friend, attending to some university stuff, and it was just too darn hot, so we jumped onto the gondola/teleferico and went up to the top of Isabela De Torres for a couple of hours.
200 pesos, nice cool fresh air, (2,500 feet altitude) tranquility, some kool gardens, a few fishies in the ponds, a light snack, a few laughs, a kool ride with a superb view of Puerto Plata, what more could a person ask for.

Teleferico4.jpg

Teleferico3.jpg

Teleferico2.jpg

Teleferico1.jpg

Teleferico.jpg

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Rocky,
Quite the marketeer. Great shots and sidelines that make me want to visit. ( I was gonna say, " make me want to come" but thought better of it!

PS Seeing vultures doesn't work

Sollie

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,
Quite the marketeer. Great shots and sidelines that make me want to visit. ( I was gonna say, " make me want to come" but thought better of it!

PS Seeing vultures doesn't work

Sollie
Marketeer, you say?
Heck, if I was marketing I would be posting all the bikini shots.

RockysEmployees.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.