Paying for the hotel

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Hi guys!

When you book hotel over the net, is it normal to send a copy of your creditcard and identification to the hotel with a statement that they can charge you for x amount of money? (in my case: half of the amount now and half when I get down there) Are there any other options?

Gma

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi guys!

When you book hotel over the net, is it normal to send a copy of your creditcard and identification to the hotel with a statement that they can charge you for x amount of money? (in my case: half of the amount now and half when I get down there) Are there any other options?

Gma
I don't know that there is a standard policy.
If you check up on the hotel and it has a good rep, I don't think you need to be worried.
If you are not comfortable meeting their requirements, you can ask them for other options or book elsewhere.
It is understandable that a hotel would want/require a deposit for a booking, because if you don't show, they could stand to lose a fair bit of money, if it's too late for them to rent it out to someone else.

Maybe another option for you would be to call your credit card company to ask them if they think that you are putting yourself at risk.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
if you definitely know you are staying there, ask if you can western union them the money for the hotel. i've even had other DR1 members make the reservation for me and i squared them away when i arrived.
it seems to me in my travels, this is pretty much a standard procedure. there are a few hotels that require you to make a reservation without any i.d or money.
i can also tell you that i've done the credit card thing many times in the dominican republic, costa rica, panama, belize, puerto rico and europe with no problems. i also alert my credit card company of this impending charge and to watch out for any additional charges which may be fraudelent.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
if you definitely know you are staying there, ask if you can western union them the money for the hotel. i've even had other DR1 members make the reservation for me and i squared them away when i arrived.
it seems to me in my travels, this is pretty much a standard procedure. there are a few hotels that require you to make a reservation without any i.d or money.
i can also tell you that i've done the credit card thing many times in the dominican republic, costa rica, panama, belize, puerto rico and europe with no problems. i also alert my credit card company of this impending charge and to watch out for any additional charges which may be fraudelent.
Great suggestion.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm pretty much a n00b at this type of thing; however, both of the hotels I checked out in SD didn't request a deposit. Upon offering, they said it wasn't necessary! How nice. Perhaps, you're staying at a fancier place than I and the rooms are more desired. Not sure.
There are lots of variables.
The hotel's ability to rent out the room at the last minute, in case of a cancellation.
The vacancy rate. If the hotel is never full anyhow, then they are not turning anyone down to accept a reservation without deposit, so there's no potential loss.
A lot of small hotels do not take credit cards. and they would have to inconvenience their clients too much, to arrange for a deposit.
The hotel owner's attitude. Be it how desperate he/she is for money, or simply liking to be casual about accepting reservations.
If the hotel doesn't quite live up to the hype shown on the website, they would definitely want a deposit, as the guest might want to cancel upon arrival.
A hotel owner who does not require a deposit, might get a lot of repeat business from clients who don't like giving deposits.
I'm sure there could be many more reasons that contribute to the decision making process, as to whether they require a deposit or not.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
how they want to have your credit card copy send?
by fax/mail?
i would never send rcedit card details by fax/phone or e-mail, and i alsways advice my own customers not to do so.
if a reliable hotel runs a website and excepts credit cards they should have a secure payment line on their website where you can make a deposit with your credit card.
have fun
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
If the hotel is reputable and big name, or AI, you may well do it. Many hotels or travel agents ask you for that kind of verification for online purchases. In Spain, for example, it is quite common to request it for online purchases of over several-hundred Euros, and send a charge authorization, ID copy, and front-back CC copy. That is also true for transactions submitted and authorized electronically (Online).

Even Air Europa asks for it and has a downloadable form on their website. Same with Copa.

You can blank out the mid-digits, just leave the first and last four digits visible, same with the numbers on the back.

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
[/QUOTE]You can blank out the mid-digits, just leave the first and last four digits visible, same with the numbers on the back.[/QUOTE]

But wouldn't they need the whole number to withdraw the money?

I talked with my credit card company and they said I have an assurance that covers a potential "loss", as long as I pay for at least 50% of the stay with my credit card.

When you book hotel in advance- isn't it normal to pay only for one night or 10% of the stay? One night is a bit of money and I woudn't change hotel-so they'll get their money in the end...

Gma

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
along the same lines....

Just before I GO to the DR I inform AMEX. I found this to be helpful on one or two occasions on BOTH ends (both there and when I left NY)

john