Sensationalism on DR1?

Do DR1ers sensationalize their stories about 'negative' experiences in the DR?

• Yes

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Its difficult to tell the difference.

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There was a quick but interesting sub-topic discussed in this thread. The actual thread was about an incident that occurred to the OP at Gregorio Luper?n Airport in Puerto Plata; however the sub-topic following the OP's and Drakas post was about the "appearance" or "suppose attempt" to make the incident appear as just one more normal occurrence in the DR.

Thus, I ask the DR1 community the following:

Do DR1ers sensationalize their stories about 'negative' experiences in the DR?

A) Yes
B) No
C) Maybe
D) Its difficult to tell the difference.

-NALs

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, some do, and no, some don't is my answer. But no place for it on the options list. "Maybe" is not the same thing.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i think some do. after all, the DR is not like your home country but it's has it's good and bad like most countries.

so i guess i vote "yes"....

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay mi madre!!.

Brother NALs, a poll is not needed when the obvious is staring at us!.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Here is my 3 1/2 Cents...

Since I was mentioned in the narrative of this poll, I thought it best that I reply;

First, I do think that an above average percentage of DR1 posters do add color to their posts when referencing past experiences in the DR. Why this is done? - Who knows...... It would be ineresting however to hear why some people do.

As for me, I am an average American (Black) guy who in 2005 found the the DR and determined that this is MY vacation destination of choice - I just love it and wish that I could retire there. I have been a total of 6 times in the last 2 years and just can't get enough. Perhaps I am running from the New England weather..... who knows.....

I always have a nice time and the trips are most enjoyable. By profession I am always aware of my soroundings and take notice of things around me. I see things and make note of them. Occasionally odd things happen to me, but I am always on guard.... I am just an average person with average luck.

When I return from a DR trip and get the opportunity to post on DR1, I try to share my experiences with the forum and post based upon the facts.

No doubt that there are some DR1 members who think that they know Everything and try to "Talk-Down" to others..... - Well, I am here, and want to contribute my posts for the benefit of others.... When I have a question, I enjoy getting answers from other DR1 members. .... but when I am challanged, then I am ready and will not back down.

A while back, there was thread about "Who is the biggest lurker"- I remind all of this because I often receive many many PMs and emails from DR1 members and DR1 Lurkers who applaud me for my posts and the way I tell it and add value. - - - - I plan to stick around this DR1 forum because it is good for all to include me. For those who don't like it..... remember, If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! :classic:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Y a mi tambien.....

I remind all of this because I often receive many many PMs and emails from DR1 members and DR1 Lurkers who applaud me for my posts and the way I tell it and add value.
DAKRA, my amigo, don't read too much into those PM's.

I get them ALLLLL the time, YET I am one of the MOST hated member in DR1's history.

The sick thing is that I love every minute of it and I will NOT rest until I am the number one!!.

I wouldn't have it any other way, wahahahahaha!!.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I agree that you are ONE of the most hated.....

But I like you! - hehehehehe - have a good night..... (Right Now, I find myself booking my next trip to the DR and can't wait to get there)

DAKRA, my amigo, don't read too much into those PM's.

I get them ALLLLL the time, YET I am one of the MOST hated member in DR1's history.

The sick thing is that I love every minute of it and I will NOT rest until I am the number one!!.

I wouldn't have it any other way, wahahahahaha!!.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
what do you really want to know?

Do you really believe that DR1 posters tell tall tales--or is there another agenda behind your inquiry? Heaven knows that passing thru an international airport in the year 2007 doesn't require a propina in order to be in the good graces of a bunch of clerks! So,reports like this--are they sensationlism? Don't think so-they are mearly what happens in the DR (and other countries) that are out of the norm of first world countries.

I reported 3 weeks ago about a Dominican that got held up at gun point right in the airport straight off the plane from NY. Tall tale? No. A fact of life, even in HER opinion, in the DR.

Sorry but I don't know the intent of your "poll" but if you were to ask me ...
well, let me fill in the blanks at the conclusion of the poll.
john

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I think thats a definate "YES"! People love to create hype and some miserable souls love to surround others with their own negativity.
Many times, I find isolated incidents are cited as "the norm".

Personally, I dont believe all I read or hear.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Johne is right. The story from Las Americas is not an isolated incident.The country is still out of control and it's still a mess. Learn how to live with these facts nothing's going to change.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Do you really believe that DR1 posters tell tall tales--or is there another agenda behind your inquiry? Heaven knows that passing thru an international airport in the year 2007 doesn't require a propina in order to be in the good graces of a bunch of clerks! So,reports like this--are they sensationlism? Don't think so-they are mearly what happens in the DR (and other countries) that are out of the norm of first world countries.

I reported 3 weeks ago about a Dominican that got held up at gun point right in the airport straight off the plane from NY. Tall tale? No. A fact of life, even in HER opinion, in the DR.

Sorry but I don't know the intent of your "poll" but if you were to ask me ...
well, let me fill in the blanks at the conclusion of the poll.
john
Um, my intent was to create a poll that would allow DR1ers to express their feelings and/or level of trust on what other DR1ers post when it pertains to negative experiences in the DR.

My my, now some DR1ers think I have a hidden "agenda" on this poll.

And to think that I didn't even gave my opinion! :paranoid:

So far, 64.71% of the participants voted yes or maybe and only 14.71% voted no.

That's what the DR1 community is saying as of now, not me.

-NALs

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I guess the old adage

Um, my intent was to create a poll that would allow DR1ers to express their feelings and/or level of trust on what other DR1ers post when it pertains to negative experiences in the DR.

My my, now some DR1ers think I have a hidden "agenda" on this poll.

And to think that I didn't even gave my opinion! :paranoid:

So far, 64.71% of the participants voted yes or maybe and only 14.71% voted no.

That's what the DR1 community is saying as of now, not me.

-NALs[/quo

"don't believe all of what you read" is 65% accurate in this case when it comes to the information given on DR1. Shame on me-I never would have thought my fellow posters would feel compelled to sensationalize to this degree.

Gonna buy a new pair of rose colored glasses first thing this morning.Thanks for the info Nals.
john

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Like Most Of "Nals" Polls,This one Has no "Answer"!

Here is MY Poll!

This is ONLY for posters who have actually lived in the DR,"Full Time" for at least 10 years! (Thats right NALS, You don't "qualify" for this one!!!) Not for "Vacationers"!!!!

"IS THERE MORE "CRIME" NOW THAN WHEN YOU FIRST MOVED HERE????"

HAS "CRIME" INCREASED OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS,THE LAST 2 YEARS?"

HAVE YOU,OR A MEMBER OF YOUR HOUSEHOLD BEEN A VICTIM OF A CRIME???"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
All others have no knowledge of what is going on in this country

Here is MY Poll!

This is ONLY for posters who have actually lived in the DR,"Full Time" for at least 10 years! (Thats right NALS, You don't "qualify" for this one!!!) Not for "Vacationers"!!!!

"IS THERE MORE "CRIME" NOW THAN WHEN YOU FIRST MOVED HERE????"

HAS "CRIME" INCREASED OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS,THE LAST 2 YEARS?"

HAVE YOU,OR A MEMBER OF YOUR HOUSEHOLD BEEN A VICTIM OF A CRIME???"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

All others stay away--what do they know.