weather late this week in SD

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
just wondering...i keep on looking on weather channel and it doesnt look all that great.

I never know if i sould believe them or not as i know they sometimes predict t'storms...but it might rain for five or ten mins.

I have never traveled this time of year tho...and i know its hurricane and rainy season.

I could easily postpone my trip...just wondering if anyone can give me an update over the next couple of days.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Forget about the weather and come on down to enjoy yourself Jrzyguy. I told you the first Presidente is on me at the colmado across from Hotel Europa in Boca Chica.

Check the hurricane thread on this site and you will see things look OK for this upcoming weekend.

P.S. How did you make out with your book search?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thanks BB...i am pretty sure i will be there this weekend. Not worried about hurricanes...but more about rainy weather and t'storms.

I went to 14th street the other day....and the spanish bookstore was closed. went to Barnes & Nobles (the smallish one on 8th street) and wasnt wowed by the esl section. My friend does not have a cd player...and the only decent books came with cd's...perhaps i will buy a small cd player.

I am pretty sure i wlll be there this weekend. THe job search is dismal right now...and i just want to be sitting in the DR in my friends yard and away from the stress and worries of my life in nyc.

Oh...btw..that better be a presidente grande! lol.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Will you be going to the South Shore? Or will you be traveling up NOrth as well?
Wish I could get to the Strand Bookstore. That place is an expensive heaven to me!!! And the books are cheap!, My problem is I want them all!

Do not sweat the weather....nothing bad will happen this long weekend. It's gonna be my birthday, after all, and I talked to the Man Upstairs.....

HB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Will you be going to the South Shore? Or will you be traveling up NOrth as well?
Wish I could get to the Strand Bookstore. That place is an expensive heaven to me!!! And the books are cheap!, My problem is I want them all!

Do not sweat the weather....nothing bad will happen this long weekend. It's gonna be my birthday, after all, and I talked to the Man Upstairs.....

HB

I'll be on the south...dont have the time to travel north as i am only going for five days::( a couple of days in BC...a couple of days in SD and then a day or so back on the beach....then HOME (booo hoo hooo)

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I am no expert but....

I have been to SD 6 times so far.... in the months of February, April, July, August, October, and December.

Everytime that I have been there, the tempature has always been warm to hot and rain just about 6 out of 7 days. But the rain has always been for just about an hour or so and then cleared up.

Perhaps I was just lucky..... But I was under the impression that a small island in the Carribean will always get a passing storm with rain often, but not stick around long enough to make you want to cancel your trip.

Good luck and travel safe

:bunny:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ok...less than 24 hrs to go! any REALISTIC weather reports for SD for the next 5 days????? i keep on checking out weatherchanel.com and cnn's weather and they both predict t'stoms and lotsa clouds. now i KNOW they are never too accurate...i have seen rain predicted on past trips but barely saw a drop.

the weather here in NYC is gonna be really nice this weekend...so perhaps i might postpone. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. i just want lotsa sun for this short trip!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jrzguy, without minute analysis of every set of clouds and every wind drifting around, there is no way I can promise you 24/7 sunshine. What I can tell you, is that there is nothing on the horizon that should interrupt your periods of sunshine. We're still a little under the influence of systems developing up North of us. To the best information available now, you'll have sun, clouds, sprinklings of rain and more sun, clouds and sprinklings of rain.

Come-on, its September, one of the most beautiful times on the islands. Let's not break our heads about every cloud drifting by.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i keep on checking out weatherchanel.com and cnn's weather and they both predict t'stoms and lotsa clouds.

Come on jrzyguy, the weatherchanel.com predicts rain or t'storms for the DR 364 days a year. I learned something from Chris, I check out either this site or hurricane central. No hurricane in sight, no problem unless you oversleep and miss your flight.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
yup..i know BB...thats why i came here and asked. I have never worried durring my winter trips even when the weather channels predict cloudy and rain...and only one year it was overcast most of the time (we still had fun). I just dont want to get stuck in my hotel room for five days.

I have been agonizing about going since i booked my flight (many other reasons besides the weather)...i.e., i got laid off in april and there aint a job in site :-( but then i fear when i DO find a job that i wont be taking two week long trips in feb/march...so i should travel now.

and oh...the weather here in nyc is amazing right now. low 80's and nearly 90 on saturday (one last beach day here).

well..i DID do all the shopping i need done today....just need to desperately do laundry tonight.

THe one thing i worry about is traveling and just bringing my worries with me...i have been totaly miserable about the job thing for the past week or so.

well...so far i have NOT cancelled. I just gotta see if my neighbor will feed my cat.

one thing i know...is that i WONT oversleep like SOMEONE i know (lol).

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
geesh!!! cant believe i was so worried!

when i flew in there were some major cloud on the north side of the island....but in the south it was sunny most of the time...one day with puffy clouds (sorta a relief with the heat)...and one heavy shower at night.

over the six days there were thunderstorms to the east and west, but mainly inland...and while there were many clouds looming inland...the sun was strong and sunny nearly the entire time i was there.

had a friggen blast! almost decided to extend my stay...but i figured i had to get back to reality eventualy. i'll try to post a quick trip report soon.