When it rains, it pours.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Young Marie came to work with us at the start of this year.
She lives in one of those poor areas where we go on New Year's Eve with presents for the poor kids, so you know I'm talking about really poor.

She had been saving up to buy a fridge and stove.
Yesterday, her and her hubby went and gave an "inicial" for the new stove and fridge, "fiao".

Today.....
Her house burned down.
Her, her hubby and the three kids were left with the clothes on their backs.

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
How heartbreaking and devastating! If you are able to start any kind of "collection" fund, I will be down next month so you can count me in.

Sometimes I dont understand why bad things happen to good people???

Would you know the ages of the kids by chance? May be able to bring some clothes/supplies for them.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
How heartbreaking and devastating! If you are able to start any kind of "collection" fund, I will be down next month so you can count me in.

Sometimes I dont understand why bad things happen to good people???

Would you know the ages of the kids by chance? May be able to bring some clothes/supplies for them.
I'll find out the ages as soon as I can.
One's more like a baby than a kid.
I will find out soon.
She won't be back to work for awhile, of course, so it May take a few days for me to find out.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
okay rocky you are good at collecting for good causes. Are you going to the same for marie and her family?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I'll find out the ages as soon as I can.
One's more like a baby than a kid.
I will find out soon.
She won't be back to work for awhile, of course, so it May take a few days for me to find out.

No worries, I have some time...you can PM me with any info you are able to gather whenever you can.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
okay rocky you are good at collecting for good causes. Are you going to the same for marie and her family?
To be quite frank, I don't know.
We dug into our pockets and gave what we could.

Just seems that I've already asked DR1ers for too much.
For Mel's family, to rebuild the Skandinavian bar, for the kid's presents at New Years.
I'm not sure I can do it anymore.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Rocky Dr1ers don't mind as long as they know it is truely a good cause. You showed photos and are a reputable man on this board.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Rocky Dr1ers don't mind as long as they know it is truely a good cause. You showed photos and are a reputable man on this board.

Agreed, I dont think anyone should feel pressured. One doesnt have to advertise. Those who can/want to can keep it between themselves and Rocky perhaps?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey Rocky,

I remember Marie very well and think very highly of her. She is a great woman and has not had things that easy in her life.
She works very hard for you and is just wonderful.

I may be down soon and will see about how I can help.
Finances are a bit tight at the moment but I will not forget Marie.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Rocky,

I remember Marie very well and think very highly of her. She is a great woman and has not had things that easy in her life.
She works very hard for you and is just wonderful.

I may be down soon and will see about how I can help.
Finances are a bit tight at the moment but I will not forget Marie.
She certainly is a hard worker.
That's the killer about all this.
Saving up that money all these months, and now, not only did she lose the stove and fridge, but they bought them on the finance plan and have to go on paying for them.
One day old.
Imagine that.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
She certainly is a hard worker.
That's the killer about all this.
Saving up that money all these months, and now, not only did she lose the stove and fridge, but they bought them on the finance plan and have to go on paying for them.
One day old.
Imagine that.

Are they what started the fire?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think you ever need to worry about asking. People who live here know the precarious state of finances just to have enough to eat many of the locals live with on a year in, year out basis (& if people who live here don't know then, with respect they should either open their eyes or inform themselves). And that precarious state is what covers 'normal' life, without an added tragedy like this lady has had.

Count me in.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Are they what started the fire?
Nobody knows, but presumably not.
There wasn't even street power at the time.
It looks like it was just one of those bad luck accidents, that only a fire investigator expert could explain.
Unfortunately, our local firetruck from Sosua was on the fritz, so the truck from Gaspar Hernandez was dispatched and they're quite far away.
Probably wouldn't have made a lick of difference anyhow.
That house was like a cinder box, and no foul play is suspected.

When we went over there lastnight, she was inconsolable.
I told her the story about good & bad Karma, hoping it would help, even gave my best clown act a shot, but she was completely distraught.
I thought that big lump of money in her hand would snap her out of it, but we saw her walking back up the hill as we were leaving, slumped shoulders, totally depressed.
I don't think she believes that all will be well in time.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Rocky.. I'm willing to throw in some money for the folks. I don't know them but I know what conditions they live under. Unfortunately I'm still far away and in the real Middle Of Nowhere so if it's possible to send a check I will.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky.. I'm willing to throw in some money for the folks. I don't know them but I know what conditions they live under. Unfortunately I'm still far away and in the real Middle Of Nowhere so if it's possible to send a check I will.
I'm going to ask Snoozer if he'll handle it.
He has impeccable credentials.

I know someone is bound to ask, so here it is.
In light of so very many recent allegations of improprieties with charity funds, I would prefer to not be involved in collecting any more moneys for any cause, except our New Year's Eve present fund.
It's just a matter of time, before those who stand accused of pilfering, try to turn the tables on me by accusing me of the very same thing, to take the heat of their backs.

I ask you all, to not discuss this matter in this thread.
If someone has a strong urge to deal with this topic, please start another thread.
Thanks.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
for some people, if they didn't have shit luck, they'd have no luck at all...

what happens now? Do they have extended family to live with immediately? Can they get access to clothing etc quickly (like second hand shops). I can't even imagine how awful it must be and so traumatic for the older kids in particular.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
what happens now? Do they have extended family to live with immediately? Can they get access to clothing etc quickly (like second hand shops). I can't even imagine how awful it must be and so traumatic for the older kids in particular.
They have been lent a house while they rebuild.
The neighbours seem very willing to help.
One of the neighbours told me she would go see the local mayor and our governor, to ask for help, building materials, etc.
These people may be poor, but they are rich in character and warm of the heart.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Yesterday a distant relative lost an entire wood house up in the campo over here too. Electrical cable started the fire, burnt the house to the ground and a light truck parked in the garage. Really devastating for the family.