Best "GAS"

Feb 7, 2007
It sure gets me (censored)****ed off.... upset... , when a 16 gallon gas tank "takes" 20 gallons of gas to fill up. I have heard many of the gas filling stations (envasadoras de gas) have "tweaked" their systems to either let more air in than should be a standard gas/air proportion, or their gallons measure up to ... maybe 0.9 real gallons. All this results in customer being screwed, paying for something not really delivered.

We all use gas to cook, and many of us also use gas in the cars as well.

So I got this idea... why not help out each other and list the gas filling stations... the good ones, which don't screw customers up
(esos donde realmente rinde mas).

HIGUEY
== Higuey Gas == on the entrance to Higuey from La Romana on the right side, leaving towards La Romana on the left side of the road, the last building in town.
A 16 gallon tank fills up with 15.8 gallons.
Best filling station in Higuey.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Great idea.
It certainly is a good idea.
This shyte's been going on forever, and some gas stations (for cars) do it too.
Back to propane.
We found a local station right in front of Vista Del Caribe/Coconut Palms that all the publicos go to, because they play it straight and give you what you pay for.
Additionally, these public car drivers explained to me that you get more for your money, filling up early in the day in cooler temperatures, than in mid afternoon when it's warmer.

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Bombita Gas

On the highway between Sosua and Cabrete. 25 gal tank gets 28 gals. They have the NEW recovery system that returns escaped gas to their tank. The flame from this gas is not very hot.

The Gas on the highway in Congrejo fill to the right amount and is a much hotter flame.

Sunscape Mike

Jun 1, 2007
I have always thought this...seems my tank fills at 6 gallons at one station in Las Lagunas and 9 gallons in Bavaro...it?s all making sense now!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have always thought this...seems my tank fills at 6 gallons at one station in Las Lagunas and 9 gallons in Bavaro...it?s all making sense now!
If you can weigh your tank before and after, you will be able to determine if you're getting screwed or not.
On the average, a gallon of propane weighs 4.24 lbs.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Fortunately, I can't remember having this problem as most of the time I can only get around 15 to 16 gal in my 18 gal tank even with the air let out.

Also, most Dominicans will tell you it is best to have them turn the rate of flow of the gas very low when one is filling up. I don't know if it works but if you ask the guy to do it for you a small tip is usually expected - RD10 - RD20.

cork

Aug 23, 2003
recovery system

I have never heard of such a thing.
Would you care to explain what that means and how it works, please?

Bombita Gas has a small hose that runs from the nozzle to their tank. This hose has a seperate valve on it. After filling your tank the worker shuts off the nozzle valve, then your tank valve. He then opens the valve on the little line, and any gas between your valve and the nozzle valve is returned to their tank. This prevents gas from escaping into your car during disconnect. This way they don't have to remove the tank from inside the car.

The problem is that the small valve can be opened discretely while the tank is filling causing gas that has gone through the meter to return to their tank.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The problem is that the small valve can be opened discretely while the tank is filling causing gas that has gone through the meter to return to their tank.
Assuming this is the case, that they deliberately cheat clients that way, I still don't understand your original statement.
They have the NEW recovery system that returns escaped gas to their tank. The flame from this gas is not very hot.
How does cheating the clients (if that's what they do) of some gas they are being charged for, affect the heat of the flame?

Feb 7, 2007
What he probably wants to say is that the gas he gets there has a lot of air so the flame it gives when connected (to stove) is not that powerful... that's what I think.

Feb 7, 2007
Fortunately, I can't remember having this problem as most of the time I can only get around 15 to 16 gal in my 18 gal tank even with the air let out.

Chip: Where in Santiago?

Let's list that filling station as "Best gas in Santiago" here.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What he probably wants to say is that the gas he gets there has a lot of air so the flame it gives when connected (to stove) is not that powerful... that's what I think.
It certainly seems that way.
If that's so, it wouldn't be because of the returned gas.
As we filled up there for years, the cooks would surely have complained about a lower quality of gas, had that been the case.
The reason we switched to that station, was because we were told by publico drivers, that they didn't cheat the clients by over-metering.

So I'm just trying to understand Cork's statements.
I considered it to be the best local station, so I would like to know if I'm wrong for recommending them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip: Where in Santiago?

Let's list that filling station as "Best gas in Santiago" here.

There is a planta on the road from Santiago to Licey on the left hand side about a km or two on the left side after passing the last light.

Planta de Tigalga on Carretera a Gurabo/Calle 20 not far from La 27 heading towards Tamboril.

Planta on la Carretera Luperon on the right hand side leaving Santiago near calle 15, open 24 hours.