Help please!! My dominican boyfriend is in spain on a tourist visa which he has over

smartlass25

Sep 24, 2007
stayed!! we are trying to find ways to find out how he can stay in spain. any suggestions???? I'm an English girl and we have been seeing each other for nearly a year!! and eventually we want to marry!! he is living in a shared flat, and has offers for work but has no spanish papers. thanks in advance

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
stayed!! we are trying to find ways to find out how he can stay in spain. any suggestions???? I'm an English girl and we have been seeing each other for nearly a year!! and eventually we want to marry!! he is living in a shared flat, and has offers for work but has no spanish papers. thanks in advance

unless the place he has offers for is cool with paying him without his papers in place or is under the table.....this is a lost cause. overstayed visa = trouble :ermm:

smartlass25

Sep 24, 2007
what a nightmare!! the thing is he's saying that the company that has offered him work, are frightened to take him without papers, because of the fact that he has no medical insurance. he works in construction you see!! oh god!! so is there no way around it?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
whoa

what a nightmare!! the thing is he's saying that the company that has offered him work, are frightened to take him without papers, because of the fact that he has no medical insurance. he works in construction you see!! oh god!! so is there no way around it?

construction companies are the worst even here in the USA because of insurance purposes....i mean it is a risk anyone or a contractor takes when hiring 'illegals' but rules are in place to cover any mishaps....unfortunately i dont know what to suggest. can someone fix his papers over there without having to deport him back to DR? :ermm:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

You are both in Spain right?

You need to go to the Spanish Immigration department to get the right answers. Maybe he can have his status changed. What city are you living in?

smartlass25

Sep 24, 2007
I'm currently in the uk at the mo, work committments. He is living near Girona / barcelona. If he goes to spanish immigrations will they not want to deport him?

smartlass25

Sep 24, 2007
oh dear!! well lets hope things work out!! He is going to see a solicitor, lets hope he has some good news!! thanks for your help

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Has he spoken to the Dominican Embassy?

If he happens to come across a well known Dominican called Pepe Goico I believe he is back in Spain right now...................;) certainly seems to have contacts............(your boyfriend will get the joke, even if you don't).

I'm suggesting the Dominican Embassy because he is a Dominican national & they should be less expensive than a lawyer.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
why not go to the Spanish Embassy in England and ask them. You don't even have to use his real name. Just ask the question.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I certainly don't know the Spanish law on this one but IMHO he has already proven himself to be untrustworthy by overstaying a Tourist Visa and is now trying to become what in Canada we call a line jumper (in Britain possibly a queue jumper) by attempting to turn this overstay into an immigration matter. If he wants to live there he should return home and get in line like any other Dominican wanting to immigrate to Spain.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Gregg,
he is only 1 of the 10.000's sankies coming to europe by tourist visa, invited by a girlie who want's to get married with him, and overdid the visa, oding some illegal street jobs aso over there to survive. by overdoing the visa he showed the european authorities that he's not the person worth to get permanent papers or perission to work there. aside all the people looking for that permission on the legal way it would not be fair if he would get it while others wait in line and do their paperwork. europe is full of those guys and doesn't need them.
Mike

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
Spain has an extremely large number of illegal immigrants ( which is what anyone without a visa is), a good percentage coming from Central America.
The authorities went through a regularisation process last year, but there were many more applicants than the quota. However, it is possible for your boyfriend to legalise his situation: he needs to contact a Gestoreria, who will assess his situation. If he can provide an offer of a declared job contract, and proof of abode in Barcelona/Girona, he may be able to get his papers, although it will take time and he will have to pay the Gestor.
However, it is worth trying as there is not usually a fine for overstaying the visa if it is proven that he wishes to legalise the situation, and also once the process for his papers has begun, there is a moratorium which prevents his being deported - at the very worst, until his application is rejected.
Btw, I lived in Barcelona for nearly 8 years up until this March, so I know the local situation well - the worst thing that he can do is to ignore things, as sooner or later he will be controlled for his papers, and deported once he cannot produce.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
How long has he overstayed by?

Why didn't he look into ways of extending his visa before it expired?

As Euterpe said above, it may be possible for him to legalise the situation with proof of job offer and abode in Barcelona, however the amount of time he has overstayed will be a major factor in their decision. They will want a valid reason as to why he didn't apply for an extension before his visa expired - as many posters have said, this gives him a black mark before he even starts the process.

Best of luck