timeshare - holiday vacation clubs

vicnic

Sep 25, 2007
I have been told that the dominican republic is lawless on rules to cancel your timeshare compared to other countries, what is the truth on this?
As we were sold a holiday vacation club based on lies just so the seller can get a commission. It has come to light that this has happend to others too. I am now looking to get a lawyer involved as we want our full deposit back. Anyone know anything?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I would say good luck, but you wont have much chance of getting your money back.....but it depends on where you buy and how much....

Feb 7, 2007
What were the lies? What were you promised and what is the truth? Please inform us.

I ask because I have heard several complaints about timeshares but I have never ever used or booked into one myself. So I don't know what are the tricks the sellers use...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have briefly touched the subject of vacation club sales in the DR about 3 years ago. From what I heard the sales staff and it's director happily brag about, there was indeed no "re-thinking"-period. Once you signed the contract and that credit card slip and they got it authorized with the credit card company (which they'll do immediately!), the money is theirs and you owe your bank or credit card company.<o></o>
Keep in mind that, no mater where you are from and where your bank accounts are at, when doing business here in the DR, you do it strictly under Dominican law. It's not lawless, but the law may be different to what you are used to back "home" and in this cases the law seems to indicate that if you signed for it, you're good for it. If it was your impression the sales staff suggested something else, it would be your word against theirs if they opt not to honor what ever your understanding it was they may have promised to you in an unwritten / unsigned statement.<o></o>
So, don't sign something just because you cant find the words to say "NO".<o></o>
<o></o>
... J-D.<o></o>

Last edited: