renting car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Do I need to rent a suv for driving just to cabrette sosua and puerto plata?
Up to you.
You don't need one, as public transport is frequent and inexpensive and less risk.
I personally have a hard time not having my own wheels, but it's really up to the individual.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Was the question aimed more at EITHER: SUV or ordinary automobile? If so -- If you're dedicated to driving yourself -- an ordinary auto is just fine for that highway. But heed all the warnings about traffic and road conditions that are found on this site.

sheets

Aug 30, 2007
hey Rocky I'm new to the site. Do you live in D.R? You seem very knowledgable about the country.

GillianHanks

Sep 17, 2007
Hi Rocky, I am also new to this site. My siblings and our spouses (8 of us) are planning a reunion in Puerto Plata at the end of Jan 2008 (a time-share gift to us from one of our children). We are all senior citizens (but we rock!!) and have got a great flight price direct from Chicago, saving $450 per couple. The flight is into Punta Cana. Is there a safe, economical way to get from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata or am I just wasting a lot of time and creating more stress than if we fly to Miami, Puerto Rico, and finally into Puerto Plata? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi Rocky, I am also new to this site. My siblings and our spouses (8 of us) are planning a reunion in Puerto Plata at the end of Jan 2008 (a time-share gift to us from one of our children). We are all senior citizens (but we rock!!) and have got a great flight price direct from Chicago, saving $450 per couple. The flight is into Punta Cana. Is there a safe, economical way to get from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata or am I just wasting a lot of time and creating more stress than if we fly to Miami, Puerto Rico, and finally into Puerto Plata? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Punta Cana is way at the other end of the island, a whole day's drive from here.
There are national flights, of course, but they're a bit costly and time consuming.
Regular Flights

Feb 7, 2007
GH: As Rocky said, you will spend a whole day trying to get from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata via ground (economic option).

You can fly, but the price PUJ-POP-PUJ is $75/ow, 150 RT.
So you pay 300 bucks per couple.

You better try to fly to POP directly. There are flights to POP from Miami, try to get an early flight out of Chicago, so you can connect well in Miami.

A

apostropheman

we must be reading different pricing :)
according to the link Regular Flights
it's $149 one way "PUJ to POP" and "POP to PUJ" PLUS 16% tax.:cheeky: making it over $330USD per person, not couple, return.

The OP might want to rethink their original flight plan and just fly into POP. it'll be a lot simpler and less expensive that way. trust me....i've done it both ways ;)
http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/46199-my-new-years-eve-pc-sosua-adventure.html
GH: As Rocky said, you will spend a whole day trying to get from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata via ground (economic option).

You can fly, but the price PUJ-POP-PUJ is $75/ow, 150 RT.
So you pay 300 bucks per couple.

You better try to fly to POP directly. There are flights to POP from Miami, try to get an early flight out of Chicago, so you can connect well in Miami.

bocadulce

Aug 21, 2007
Car Rental

Whether you rent a suv or compact is entirely driven by how many people are in your party. My friends and I rented a compact car during our stay in Puerto Plata/Costambar in August. It sure as hell beat using the motoconchos, and it provided convenience to come and go as we pleased.

You may want to rent your vacation vehicle from Savings Car Rental, Puerto Plata Airport, (809) 586-0217, contact: Yohanne Martinez. The rental cost was extremely reasonable.

One caveat, driving in the DR can be dangerous. It seems that there are no traffic rules; it's total mayhem out there. Good luck and have fun!!

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
after spending some time on the north coast we always rented SUV's. After getting more confident in driving around we started renting a normal saloon.
The first evening we were driving from Cabrette to Sosua ( after a great meal at Resturant Chino ) and saw a rather nasty accident.
It was between 2 big SUVs and a cow.
It was dark and the cow did not have any lights.
Both SUVs were totalled.
One was upside down.

The following day we went back and changed the car back to an SUV. While the accident was serious all parties would have come out alive.
In a car, no chance.
If driving at night, have an SUV. May not be perfect, but better for you if anything like that happens.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
Whether you rent a suv or compact is entirely driven by how many people are in your party. My friends and I rented a compact car during our stay in Puerto Plata/Costambar in August. It sure as hell beat using the motoconchos, and it provided convenience to come and go as we pleased.

You may want to rent your vacation vehicle from Savings Car Rental, Puerto Plata Airport, (809) 586-0217, contact: Yohanne Martinez. The rental cost was extremely reasonable.

One caveat, driving in the DR can be dangerous. It seems that there are no traffic rules; it's total mayhem out there. Good luck and have fun!!

How extremely reassonable are you talking? and did you get insurance coverage as well because that can kill you. The last car rental I did cost me $500 U.S. for the week.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
How extremely reassonable are you talking? and did you get insurance coverage as well because that can kill you. The last car rental I did cost me $500 U.S. for the week.

Savings rents out older SUV's from what I understand. Not brand new ones like the big name franchises. So, their price is adjusted accordingly.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
I called and spoke to Yohanne about a vehicle for one week. I don't know if I can quote this on here or not but it was $200 including insurance for a toyota corolla with air. Much better!!!:bunny:

Sep 19, 2005

where are you staying? the trip between sosua and either of the other two towns isnt that bad if you dont do it more than one a day.....but to go from puerto plata to cabarete is a long ride and you dont want to do it on one of those crowded buses.

I have driven over the whole country and that section is way above average when it comes to road surface quality, plus it is very wide in most sections.....lots of room for the jerks that pass someone who is already passing someone else.

good luck

ps: I have rented from savings rental car on 22 seperate trips. Over all I think they are a good compromise between price and service.

but dont swallow Yohannes words hook line and sinker...she has been known to promise the moon and deliver just a lunar rock. ha ha ha

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.