Part-time domestic help/maid

Tahoe

Aug 9, 2007
Quick question ...
I have a woman starting this week coming to my 3 bedroom, larger size apartment to help with general cleaning only. She will be working 1 afternoon a week for approximately 4 hours. What would be an appropriate daily wage to pay her?
Thanks! Tahoe

Tahoe

Aug 9, 2007
Thanks

Yes, I looked at the one thread before...I can do the division to accomodate for 1/2 day...however that ended up to be 120-150RD for 4 hours.
Seemed a little low to me, but then I am new to the DR.
To DP: I am not new to living in foreign countries, having lived 9 years in South America! Always lived within the customs and we added what we felt was right to do.
A Dominican acquaintance suggested I pay 1500RD a month for someone that came in once a week for 4 hours.
Tahoe

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Once a week for four hours? .. somehow I feel 100 pesos an hour would be realistic. Otherwise it is almost not worth while for someone to go to the trouble of doing this part time job?

Tahoe

Aug 9, 2007
Good Advice Chris

Thanks, Chris. Good advice. Closed as far as I am concerned.
Tahoe

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Paying 300 to 400 RD per day is fine but then add something for transportation and you are good! The lady I have works fast but thorough as I pay the same whether it takes her all day or part day!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Part time in the DR?

I don't think that Dominicans get the concept of 'part time'. I have a friend that has a job that requires 2 hours a day in the morning 5 days a week. He's been paying $3000.00DOP a month and was having trouble keeping an employee. My friends mentality is one of a North American where the salary is divided by the actual hours worked.

The Dominican attitude is that if they have a job it doesn't matter how many hours they work. A salary is a salary and the concept of them having another job to suppliment their income is still fairly foreign.

So now my friend is paying someone $5000.00DOP a month for 8 hours a day.

Oh to have such a shrewd Dominican brain.... ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hire a domestic that can multitask, you know she does not have to "clean" for 8 hours!

tambo'

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Live-in

Does anyone know how the price would differ for a live-in? Someone who not only cleans but also helps take care of the kids when we are at work or some evenings etc...

Would I have a chance to find somebody like this? Obviously, I dont want to leave just anyone with my kids;)

Also, how many weeks of paid vacation etc. am I obliged to pay this person.

I realize that these prices probably all vary greatly depending on location?

THANKS!

pizzabite

Aug 19, 2006
Peetie Pay

Peetie,

I agree, perhaps I am a little too generous suggesting paying someone $2.50usd per hour.

How do you compensate your domestic help?