adoption

joval

Nov 8, 2004
I have facilitated an adoption file,to adopt children from the Dominican Republic, I am from Canada, I am very hopeful, optimistic and excited about the process, this is an event that my husband and I have talked about for a few years now..and finally after reviewing several countries re: adoption, and being yearly travellers to the DR as well as visiting two orphanages to spend time with the children, we were able to come to the decision that this is really what we wanted to do, adoption from the Dominican Republic.
Our agency has sent our file to the DR laywers, which in turn was then submitted to Conani. It is now approx. 15 months that our file is in the Dominican Republic.
Our homestudy file was approved for a healthy sibling group of 2, between the ages of 2 years old and 5 years old.
I wonder if anyone has insight as to how much longer it will be before we can expect a child proposal?
Thank You. Enjoy the day!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Good luck!!! I have been trying to adopt my husband's two boys for 2 years now. We are married and I have brought them up for 6 years. We were called back to Conani last month - we thought for the final approval, and they asked us for all of our paperwork, which they ahve had for 2 years. it appears it has all been lost when they moved offices so now we have to start all over again. One of the children will be 18 soon so it will probably be too late for him. The only thing I can suggest is hassle them constantly.

joval

Nov 8, 2004
Although perhaps our cases are different, whereby you have life with your husbands' children as their mother on paper or not.
And I am in the midst of adoption of 'unknown' orphaned children from the country facilitated by CONANI.
In any case thanks for your reply, wishing you the best.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am thinking that maybe you are being led down a very long and expensive path. Nowhere have I ever seen any "long distance" adoption, much less overseas adoption without physical presence. It seems bizarre to me that this could even happen.
Without you being here it will not happen and even if you are here it will take years.

I do not think that you will get any children quickly, since there is currently a long, long waiting list for children. I could be wrong, but experience tells me that nothing will come of this while you are in Canada.

Be very patient and cautious.

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Juval;

You are experiencing the ususl "run-around" by both your lawyer and Conanni.
I have been in the process for about 2.5 years as of now and theadoption of my wife's three children still has not been finalized.
I am told by Conanni that theprocess should take no longer than 6 months, if all thapaperwork is in order (???). It took 2 years for them to furnish me with a "checklist" of documents, necessary procedures, etc. to be completed. Then it is up to a local court to finalize the entire procedure and adjudicate the adoption. EVERYBODY gets into the act. My case is one where BOTH PARENTS gave their approval to the adoption. Your's is of a different nature since it is going through an adoption facillity. You may end up coming down here to "build a fire" under your lawyer and the legal system. These people just do not expidite ANYTHING without the "greasing of palms", either through political or financial pressures.
GOOD LUCK!!

Texas Bill

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There are two main problems here: (1) the scarcity of available children for adoption and (2) the sometimes misleading information obtained from CONANI about availability. We have many adoptions filed just waiting for children to become available. Sometimes a child comes up that nobody wants and you get ahead on the list. For example, a few months ago we finalized the adoption of a Haitian-Dominican child by a European couple who were willing to take him.

joval

Nov 8, 2004
Mr. Fabio J. Guzman

Hello and Thank You, I must ask then based on your response, "then why is my dossier taking so long ?" Mr. Fabio Guzman, it has been 15 months without a referal, and our referal based on our dossier, is a healthy sibling group of 2 children ,from 2 years old to 5 years old, this is not I would guess a usual request, and yet a wonderful experience for the children to start a new life together with opportunity etc...Our souls are full of hope, love, and opportunity for our 'children' and I know these children exist in the country, we have met some of these beautiful, caring souls, over the years, in certain orphanages, and at that time, we wish we would have started our dossier then, but it took a few more years yet before we really came into the light that this was right for us, and now, what seems so simple ( even after all of the paper work and etc..) is so unpredictably delayed ! We love too travel to the dominican republic, and our thoughts will always be that our children will know and love their country and grow to return and assist in their cournty of origin, ie: lawyer, doctor, mission, etc..that has been my and our thoughts thru all of this, and what a wonderful idea, for Dominican Republic to have it's children come home as strong intelligent, educated adults ...in fact we thought about moving to the country at some point, since it is our favorite place to be.. Okay now this message is going on too long, I excuse myself, however I am soo...full of thoughts and feelings, and this is my expression to communicate with someone related to the Domincan Legal System and from what I understand your firm is the oldest, and with the best reputation, and that is why, also in the beginning , I refered your firn to our adoption agency to start facilitating adoptions in Canada..I am really pleased that you have taken the time to answer my post, and I would like to invite you to communicate further with us in this matter, if you feel that this is something that is of your interest... Thank You.
Best Regards,
Jo-Ann & Leo Valstar
Ontario Canada

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I told you so.....

this is just another one of so many......keep you money in your hand....listen to what the lawyers tell you.

HB

joval

Nov 8, 2004
Thanks HB. I'll take that advice into consideration, for now I will wait for further correspondence from Mr. Fabio Guzman, perhaps with his expertise, he will be able to assist in a successful outcome.

joval

Nov 8, 2004
Mr. Fabio J. Guzman

I understand your frustration which we share. I'll be sending you a private message shortly.

Good Day Mr. Guzman,
I was just wondering if you have sent a PM that I may not have received?
Thanks again for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Regards,
Jo-Ann & Leo Valstar
Ontario Canada

joval

Nov 8, 2004
There are two main problems here: (1) the scarcity of available children for adoption and (2) the sometimes misleading information obtained from CONANI about availability. We have many adoptions filed just waiting for children to become available. Sometimes a child comes up that nobody wants and you get ahead on the list. For example, a few months ago we finalized the adoption of a Haitian-Dominican child by a European couple who were willing to take him.

Dear Mr. Fabio J. Guzman,

Other than using the specific words: A Dominican Child: Is there a difference to specify ethnic origin to adopt a child from the Dominican Republic? Such as:

a Haitian-Dominican child.

and/or would you also specify an adoption request as:

a Dominican child or a Dominican child of mixed ethnic origin.

I am a bit confused on how to word the child desired in order to keep the option open for a wider range of children available for adoption.
Thank You for your kind attention and time.
Jo-Ann and Leo Valstar
Ontario Canada

Last edited: