Maintaining PR Status in Canada

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My ex-husband landed in Canada on Sept 18, 2004, becoming a Permanent Resident of Canada on that day.

Shortly thereafter, he returned to the DR on October 30th.

He then came back to Canada just a few months later on January 30,2005 leaving again to go back to the DR on March 14 2005.

In order to maintain PR status, my understanding is that the PR has to spend 2 years out of every 5 year period living in Canada.

Based on the dates above, can anyone tell me if his PR is still valid?

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think this will answer your questions

Visas and Immigration

Thanks Bob. I knew about the 2 out of 5 year rule but it doesn't say that the requirement is 2 consecutive years.

After reading my PM's (thank you!) and the info on the link, it looks like if his visa expires Sept 17th, 2009 that he could still come back to Canada and keep his status provided he maintained his residence here for the next two years give or take a week or two here and there. Does that sound right?

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Official Word on the Matter

Immigration says that anyone with a valid PR Card can enter Canada even if it is one day before the card expires, as long as the card has NOT expired. The issue of satisfying residency requirements becomes a concern only when renewing PR status. The renewal MAY not be granted if the PR has failed to fulfill his/her residency requirement of living in Canada 2 years out of every 5 year period. Sounds like the option of whether or not they renew PR, even if the residency is requirements fall short, is well within their discretion. So there you have it.