Upcoming strike? Advice needed.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Has anyone heard about a general strike next Tuesday? The driver who picks us up at STI just called and said there was going to be a general strike next Tuesday when we arrive and he thought there might be problems getting to Las Terrenas. Would the Duarte be closed? I'd appreciate any info or advice. Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Has anyone heard about a general strike next Tuesday? The driver who picks us up at STI just called and said there was going to be a general strike next Tuesday when we arrive and he thought there might be problems getting to Las Terrenas. Would the Duarte be closed? I'd appreciate any info or advice. Thanks.
It's impossible to know ahead of time, where the problems might be, if any.
On the very day, any informed driver should know what areas to avoid, again, if any.
If there is a problem preventing you from getting all the way to Las Terrenas, then you may be forced to stay in Santiago for 1 day.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You do not have to take the Duarte to Las Terrenas. there is a nice road that goes from Santiago to Moca to Salcedo to Tenares to SFM and then on to Las Terrenas...But, as a matter of fact, the Duarte is probably the better alternative...
At this time I am not sure just how much of an impact this will have. the Alternative Forum does seem to get people's attention.

However, I do not foresee major problems in any of the tourist areas.

Call your driver (JJ??) and stay in contact....

And there are buses that cover that route as a possible alternative.

I would not trouble myself too much, since most of the so-called strike is aimed at Santo Domingo and environs.

HB

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
It's impossible to know ahead of time, where the problems might be, if any.
On the very day, any informed driver should know what areas to avoid, again, if any.
If there is a problem preventing you from getting all the way to Las Terrenas, then you may be forced to stay in Santiago for 1 day.

Thanks Rocky,
What's been the recent history of strikes? Have they become violent? I remember rock throwing at passing cars many years ago around Nagua. I think it was an ice strike.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks HB,
I remember that road through Moca/Salcedo. We'll stay in touch with our driver and hope that Santiago and SFM are unaffected.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky,
What's been the recent history of strikes? Have they become violent? I remember rock throwing at passing cars many years ago around Nagua. I think it was an ice strike.
Ice strike?
Too much ice on the roads? ;)

Kidding aside, generally if one comes upon a Huelga "roadbock", the wise thing to do is turn back or go around.
I believe the only time people have problems, is when they try to drive through.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
General strike on Tuesday???? I would assume that it would be on Monday. Just another excuse for a long weekend.

Bob K

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
Whenever someone knows some FOR SURE information (documented perhaps from a news article or something) ...please say so!

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Strike on Tuesday

There was information on DR1 yesterday under the heading Alternative Social Forum that a 24 hour strike will be staged on Tuesday. I gather this is the strike my driver mentioned. I'm just curious about how far reaching this particular strike could be or if it will be centered mainly in SD. Has this group demonstrated before now? Anybody know?

BTW Rocky, the ice strike was probably because of lack of Presidente muy frio.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Usually most of the activity is around SD or places like Navarrete. Frequently in tourist areas you wouldn't even know there was a strike on! However, new Police Chief with his 'tough' policy has been doing press briefings more or less every day this week, displaying things like the water cannon trucks they plan using for 'riot control'. Fairly provocative stuff.............particularly the threat to use not just dye in the water (which is harmless) but 'chemical agents and irritants'. :ermm: There was even the suggestion they would use sewage! Put it this way, if you see a water cannon truck in action stay as far away as possible.

Could all be just machospeak, though.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Usually most of the activity is around SD or places like Navarrete. Frequently in tourist areas you wouldn't even know there was a strike on! However, new Police Chief with his 'tough' policy has been doing press briefings more or less every day this week, displaying things like the water cannon trucks they plan using for 'riot control'. Fairly provocative stuff.............particularly the threat to use not just dye in the water (which is harmless) but 'chemical agents and irritants'. :ermm: Put it this way, if you see a water cannon truck in action stay as far away as possible.

Better safe than sorry.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
There was even the suggestion they would use sewage! Put it this way, if you see a water cannon truck in action stay as far away as possible.

That would be cr..ppy of them wouldn't it? If this gets fired up and looks like the strike is moving into Santiago I'd appreciate a post. Thanks a lot. It generally wouldn't alarm me but we're arriving Tuesday with family and don't want the entry to ruin their vacation.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In my experience of Dominican huelgas, you don't really know until the day. If public transport isn't running a lot of activity will come to a standstill because employees can't get to their places of work.

Sep 19, 2005
I would think your driver would know the best info. I dont think gong into Licey would be a good idea, if that is the usual route to get into moca, and through SFDM.

I havent been in SFDM in huelga but I have been in Licey, and it isnt pretty. It only takes one off the wall jerk to do something over the top to someone trying to get by.

The big roads are less likely to get closed off as the smaller roads are.

that said I have seen route 1( autopista) shut down in places right before a bridge, so no one has a chance to make a turn before they get into the trouble they see ahead..

keep in touch with your driver.

a national huelga isnt as bad a hot bed in one spot or town.....

bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Latest I've seen in papers is that strike organisers say they will call it off if President reduces fuel taxes by 50%:
Convocantes desistir?*an de huelga, si LF rebaja 50% impuestos a combustibles *
and Fenetrado (transport union) are calling for dialogue between Government and strike organisers:
FENATRADO propone diálogo*entre gobierno y sectores ante llamado a huelga ***

In Puerto Plata a number of organisations have said they won't back the strike, i.e. tourism businesses, hardware stores and the Zona Franca. But the behaviour of people indicates they are preparing for shops etc being closed. Hordes at supermarket I was at & long lines at bank (but then it is Oct. 1st. & people will be drawing salaries). As Chirimoya said we probably won't know full effect until the actual day. Probably it'll be very quiet in PP tomorrow as people stay home if they can't get to work or shops.

Out of interest I saw the military preparations are being called Operaci?n Hur?n. Doesn't that mean 'ferret'? :) And does this mean that anti-strike military tactics will encompass biting people at the back of the neck & shaking them....................???
Acuartelan militares; aplicarán operación "Hurón" por huelga

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Places I would stay away from during a strike are Licey, San Francisco de Macoris, Nagua, Cotui, Los Alcarrizos. These places are notorious for being troublesome spots during strikes.

About a year ago I was leaving for the airport (Santiago) from Cotui and lo and behold we run into a strike in a place called El Pescozon (Cotui). We just weren't going to get through there. My brother who was taking me to the airport knew this little road that would take us around the strike so we went that way. When we got there they were starting to close that road up too with trees, rocks, etc. but it wasn't completely closed up. So we went trough... As we're going through this guy runs and picks up a rock with a clear intention of throwing it at us. My brother then took out his gun and yelled at the guy that if he threw that rock at us he would be dead on the spot. The guy dropped the rock and I actually made it to the airport on time...Good ol' DR...never a dull moment.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My son came home and said "no school tomorrow". I phoned the school and asked for confirmation, and was told "only if there's a huelga" - I wonder how we're supposed to tell whether or not there's a huelga at 6:30am?