Tourist or business trip

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Is there any importance placed on checking business versus tourist on the entry visa? Is there a benefit to one over the other?
Abuela

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Tourist!!

"Business" requires a larger propina when the the clerk at the exit sees you are a rich business person.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you're a tourist, so check the "tourist" box, what else???
if you check business and somebody(usually nobody never ever) asks you about your kind of business you're doing here they may find out that you don't have any business to do here, in that case you would have provided knowingly false iinformation on your Visa form and the migration would have the right to send you back home on the same plane.
Mike

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
No importance. I've checked both (and neither) many, many times.

The same with the residence form. I fill one out with all of my info, except the info that changes, (flt#, date, etc) and make copies, and stick them in my briefcase.

I've got all kinds of tricks for making air travel easier..

I like the idea of making copies of the residence form. Maybe you should start a new thread with your tricks to making travel easier.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As people have already said it probably won't make a difference 99.9 % of the time, so marking tourist should be fine.

Now, in my case I normally mark business, because I go there so often (every two months or so) and I do conduct business down there. It would be a little bit suspicious if I was going there as a tourist so often. Once I was stopped by a drug enforcement agent and asked what my business was since I was down there so often. He said not many people could afford to spend money for such trip every couple of months. I asked him how did he know that I wasn't a rich guy? Anyhow, after he saw that I traveled everywhere and not just to The DR, he was satisfied and didn't give me much hassle, but he mentioned that many people go down there to act as drug mules. They get their tickets paid, a weeks vacation at some resort and some money. They are expected to bring back drugs in their stomach or through other means...

Sep 19, 2005
well I have been 23 times in 26 months, and have never been asked why I come so often....I have had them complain about not finding a spot to stamp my passport!!!

I always thought that at some point I am going to get hit up for questioning since I go so often. But it has only happend back at JFK, never at STI.

I have scribbled so much garbage on those forms , that I am convinced they were develeoped for a reason that no one really cares about any more.

I mean you have to fill one out and you fill the same damm info on a second one when you leave!

I have put down info in all the wrong spots, I have left out info, I have written my full name in the first line and left the second blank, I have put the addresses in reverse( I cant read that small print with my contacts in!!!)

I have put the wrong flight numbers in, ect ect.....and now i scrawl as fast as I can and I dont care about the legibility of the document, and it seems they dont either!!!

bob