Juan Dolio-Will the beach stop shrinking?

pizzabite

Aug 19, 2006
Can anyone comment on the condition of the beach in Juan Dolio?

I noticed the sea "re-claimed" various areas especially between the Casa Presedencial and Hotel Costa Caribe. Was this to be expected, or are there plans to bring in more sand?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
its not nice to fool with mother nature!

you can bring in all the sand that you want..but if M.N. wants...she will wash it all away. THis is what happens when you have way too much devlopment close to the unprotected shore line. THere are no natural dunes or sand bars to protect the beach...and so the sand will naturaly shift due to weather and currents etc.

WHen i go to the beach in my home town in massachusetts...it changes drasticaly from year to year. New sand bars and the dunes all shift around. But the beach has a major preservation interest...rather than development.

I had no problem with J.D. BEFORE they starting bringing in the sand.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Jrzy:

What is your opinion on your beloved ever shrinking Boca Chica Beach?

tambo'

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i was just there this past week...hadnt noticed it was shrinking...in fact...near playa bonita i noticed that there was actualy more sand. I used to have to kinda grab the coconut tree to pass near playa bonita to get to the other side of the beach

I dont believe BC has much beach errosion as it is well protected from the reef

I did notice a huge new resort going up on the west side of the playa...where the locals hang out. Looks like good construction...just an odd location.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I understand that when they brought the sand in they expected it all to go within 8 years I think, and obviously if there is a hurricane it will go more quickly. Without a coral reef to replace the sand then it will go. They should have thought long term and encouraged the growth of the reef which would produce sand naturally and also protect it afterwards .....but that is asking for too much!!!