Inheritance Question

FatGirlSlim

Jan 4, 2006
I am one of six children due to inherit some property from our elderly parents. One of the houses has been abandoned and uninhabitable for at least 10 years. I would like to knock it down, build a new house and rent it out. My mother is elderly and has trouble making decisions. We all live in NY, and none of us have any intentions of living there except me, I would like to spend the winters in DR when I retire. I have a sister who is paranoid and thinks I'm stealing her inheritance. She's really bad with money and very irresponsible. I don't want to fight my sister, but if I don't do something, my mom is going to die, and we'll probably lose everything because my sister will interfere when I try to claim the property. The rest of my siblings don't care and they hope I can save our little property. Any advice or suggestions? Can I claim the property because it's abandoned? Can I get a power of attorney without my siblings' consent? Thanks for your help!!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You should consult an attorney. Unless your mother is mentally incapacitated, there is no much you can do until she dies, which is when you will become an heir to the property. You may obtain a power-of-attorney from your mother. The implications of this are varied and beyond the scope of this forum.