Carlos Pena

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Pena's dream year honored
Most postseason awards are based on the greatness of one season, but Carlos Pena took special pride Tuesday in being recognized for how far he had come.
By EDUARDO A. ENCINA
Published October 3, 2007

ST. PETERSBURG - Most postseason awards are based on the greatness of one season, but Carlos Pena took special pride Tuesday in being recognized for how far he had come.

After the best season of his career, the Rays' 29-year-old first baseman was quick to put into context the news that he had won the AL Comeback Player of the Year Award.

"I think there's a good message in the award about learning how to get up again after falling down," he said. "It shows that even though things might not go the way we want it, don't let any setbacks get in the way of your dreams.

"My whole entire life, from the time I was a kid, I had challenges to overcome. But you always tell yourself to keep going."

Pena, a nonroster invitee last spring, realizes how close his remarkable season came to never happening. After spending most of 2006 in Triple A for the Yankees and Red Sox, he was reassigned to Rays minor-league camp late in spring training, but a knee injury to Greg Norton opened a roster spot. Even after making the team, he didn't become the everyday first baseman until a month in.

He ended up reaching franchise highs with 46 homers (second in the AL), 121 RBIs (fourth), 103 walks, a .411 on-base percentage and a .627 slugging percentage.

"It's a testament to who he is," Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman. "He's faced a lot of adversity in his career and I think it's really helped him emerge from the other side of this. His outlook on life, his outlook on the game are all very refreshing, and even behind the scenes, I think, greatly benefited our young players."

The award, given to one player in each league who has re-emerged on the baseball field, is decided by a vote of MLB.com's beat writers. Nationals first baseman Dmitri Young, another nonroster invitee and the older brother of Rays rightfielder Delmon Young, won the NL award.

"You never put numbers in your mind," Pena said. "You focus on the process. But you have a vision. I envisioned having a good year, telling myself that was the type of hitter, the type of player I want to be. I went past what I envisioned, so I'm really happy."

The left-handed hitting Pena embraced taking the ball to all fields.

"He went into the season with a plan to hit the ball to the middle of the field and he stuck to that program all season long," hitting coach Steve Henderson said. "That's what I'm proud of."

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
I've always liked Carlos Pena because he's always shown potential. The problem with being in Boston and NY is that those teams want results now. They have no patience.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
I've always liked Carlos Pena because he's always shown potential. The problem with being in Boston and NY is that those teams want results now. They have no patience.

That isn't true about Boston, Theo has really held on to some players who are still developing. Manny DelCarmen ? What about Dustin Pedroia ?, he played in Pawtucket also, he's had a fantiastic major-league year as a "Rookie"..they could have traded either one of these guys also. As for Pena, he is a fabulous local kid who has done well. I wish that Boston could have held on to him too. Boston took a huge gamble on a several players who weren't giving such great results elsewhere..ie..David Ortiz..for example and fostered some great results. You can say anything about NYY.....

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
NYY needed a first baseman last year and this year. Giambi wasn't a factor. Pena just didn't step up when it was his turn. If he had attacked his opportunity last year, as he did this year, neither NYY nor the Sux would've released him.

That being said, he had a great year in 2007. I picked him up off waivers for my fantasy team in June and won the league. Amazing how he stayed under the radar with such stats.