Perla Marina...Natura Cabanas...secluded or crowded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelina_J

Oct 3, 2007
We are planning our first trip to DR Nov. 29-Dec. 5. We have a reservation at Natura Cabanas at Perla Marina. Is it secluded enough that we won't feel like just another tourist at one of those all inclusive resorts? Or should we pick a different location all together to get away from the crowds? Also, I haven't seen any recent postings about Natura Cabanas...are they still as great as they sounded a few years ago?

We also plan to book a couple of mountain biking trips with Iguana Mama in Cabarete, as well as go cascading and learn to surf. Are we on the right track for stuff like that, or would you suggest other places?

Also, is it safe to rent a car to drive from Puerto Plato Airport to Perla Marina? I've seen the warnings about driving to Santo Domingo, now I'm unsure. Would it be better to use taxi service and/or hire a driver to take us around to see the area? (We have driven in and around Tulum and Playa del Carmen, Mexico, but that's about as bad as we've seen.)

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Angela

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We are planning our first trip to DR Nov. 29-Dec. 5. We have a reservation at Natura Cabanas at Perla Marina. Is it secluded enough that we won't feel like just another tourist at one of those all inclusive resorts? Or should we pick a different location all together to get away from the crowds? Also, I haven't seen any recent postings about Natura Cabanas...are they still as great as they sounded a few years ago?

We also plan to book a couple of mountain biking trips with Iguana Mama in Cabarete, as well as go cascading and learn to surf. Are we on the right track for stuff like that, or would you suggest other places?

Also, is it safe to rent a car to drive from Puerto Plato Airport to Perla Marina? I've seen the warnings about driving to Santo Domingo, now I'm unsure. Would it be better to use taxi service and/or hire a driver to take us around to see the area? (We have driven in and around Tulum and Playa del Carmen, Mexico, but that's about as bad as we've seen.)

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Angela
I know nothing about the cabanas.

Taxi from POP to your destination would be 30 bux.
If you rent a car, drive with the attitude that it's a video game and that others will not be observing the rules.
Iguana Mama has a good rep, as far as I know.
Check out this thread for kool local ideas.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/66534-so-youre-bored-sosua.html

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
This is a very nice secluded location! It is very beautiful.

It is not really a good idea to rent a car and drive. YOu are far better off to take taxis. I am sure they can help you where you are staying.

As for your activities in Cabarete and with iguana mama - I highly recommend them!!! Both the company and the excursions!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Natura Spa

You'll have a lovely secluded holiday. The spa services are excellent but no bargain ,comparable to US prices and the restaurants are excellent but pricey. The beach is very private and sparsely populated most days. Great body surfing waves
As for driving if you've navigated on the Mayan Riviera you'll be fine on the North coast.
Everyone is right about Iguana Mama. Orlando is an especially great guide who'll tailor your experience to your ability level.
Feel free tp pm with any other questions.
Have a great vacation!
Abuela

Angelina_J

Oct 3, 2007
Thanks!

Thank you guys for all the advice! I think we will rent a car and take our chances. We like to get out and about and check out the surroundings.

After looking at the thread that Rocky posted I'm realizing there are even more options than I imagined. Great info!

As far as Natura Cabanas goes, I sure don't mind paying more for spa services as long as it's worth it, and it sounds like it is.

We'll look up Orlando at Iguana Mama. Any suggestions on how to get in touch with them? We tried calling all the phone numbers on their web site for several hours yesterday and got no answer. I guess we'll keep trying and maybe send an email.

Thanks again for your help!
Angela

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
The Iguana Mama website says they are having problems with their phone lines - did you try 809 571 0734?

Angelina_J

Oct 3, 2007
Iguana Mama

Yes, we tried both numbers, and actually spoke to someone today. However, we couldn't communicate very well. They told us to call back when the owner could talk to us. We'll try again tomorrow.

Can you guys tell me a anything about cascading? We really like adventurous activities, but if you're scared of heights, is cascading a bad idea? The video on their web site doesn't look so bad, but sometimes looks can be deceiving.

Thanks again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.