Boca Chica -- Zapata

Born2Travel

Oct 4, 2007
Looking at staying at the Zapata Hotel with a group of people for 1 week in 2008. Looking for input as to cleanliness, food, facilities etc.

Thanks in advance

Born2Travel

Born2Travel

Oct 4, 2007
The group will be around 25 people. Most of the group have been there before as they do volunteer work in the community. For us though, we are first timers thus the questions.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The group will be around 25 people. Most of the group have been there before as they do volunteer work in the community. For us though, we are first timers thus the questions.

For a group that large I would look elsewhere, but where? If the group is pleased with Hostal Zapata, I would say go for it. Possibly the group can get all the rooms on the second floor of the main building facing the beach.

Hostal Zapata is no where near as bad as the above post. My first visit to Hostal Zapata was in August. I enjoyed the place so much I stayed there again in September and will more than likely stay there my next trip to Boca Chica.

The hotel is very, very clean (you remind yourself to wipe your feet when you enter). The breakfast is free from 8-10am. No menu just eggs, toast, coffee, juice, nothing special but just enough to get you started for the day.

As far as the motoconcho noise, just request a room facing the beach or stay in the beachside building. The staff does a wonderful job.

The big plus is Hostal Zapata is right on the beach!

Now some negative stuff. Some of the A/Cs do not have all the knobs. So you might have to take the knob off of the on/off switch to put on the temperature control. Some A/cs may not have knobs at all, so it is either on or off. The rooms are small so are the beds. When you enter the front door you have to ring a bell and wait for someone to open the door (maybe that should be a plus for security reasons).

At night there is a security guard at the front door and another in the rear beach area.

All in all I would say for the price and considering you are on the beach Hostal Zapata is not a bad deal.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hey Bigbird:

Is the Hotel "guest friendly"?

Yes it is. Just carry yourself as a gentleman. There is a policy that if the guest remains after 7:30AM there is a $10 fee. The "guest" is not allowed to use the bar, beach chairs, etc. Upon check-in they give you a sheet of paper which clearly states their policy, which I think is a fair policy. I have no complaints.

It is a nice low key hotel right on the beach. From your room to the ocean is less than a minute walk. But by all means request an ocean view. You can sit on the small balcony (room enough for two chairs and a small table) drinking Brugal and Prezs just watching the beach action, especially on a Sunday or holiday.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
But by all means request an ocean view. You can sit on the small balcony (room enough for two chairs and a small table) drinking Brugal and Prezs just watching the beach action, especially on a Sunday of holiday.

Ah, (I just felt a breeze), feels soooo goood;) ( and taste good as well)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yes it is. Just carry yourself as a gentleman. There is a policy that if the guest remains after 7:30AM there is a $10 fee. The "guest" is not allowed to use the bar, beach chairs, etc. Upon check-in they give you a sheet of paper which clearly states their policy, which I think is a fair policy.

So they charge you a $10 guest fee but you have to hide her, that does not seem fair. What if your guest is not a Duarte Street Rat but a "Regular" girl from La Capital?

How does that work?

tambo'

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
So they charge you a $10 guest fee but you have to hide her, that does not seem fair. What if your guest is not a Duarte Street Rat but a "Regular" girl from La Capital?

How does that work?

tambo'

That's the type of guest I was talking about as well.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ah, (I just felt a breeze), feels soooo goood;) ( and taste good as well)

I think it came from Jersey :glasses: LOL

For me, that is what gives Hostal Zapata a slight edge over the other (usual) hotels. The rooms are smaller and the rate is a little higher than the hotels on the hill but I like the idea of waking up in the morning and looking at the ocean and, of course, feeling the slight ocean breeze.