Applications for visas accepted online

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
IMMIGRATION
During a two-month window, immigrants can apply for permanent residency on the Web.
The State Department announced it is accepting applications for the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program via the Internet until Dec. 2.

Those who meet all the legal requirements and are lucky enough to be selected at random will be among the 50,000 people who will benefit by the permanent-residency lottery offered every year by Washington to citizens of countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
read more here:
Applications for visas accepted online - 10/05/2007 - MiamiHerald.com

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm looking at the application and correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the Dominican Republic is not one of the eligible countries for this lotto.

The explanation of country of eligibility isn't working.

Have a look at the application Electronic Diversity

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Citizens of the Dominican Republic........

.........have not been eligible for this lottery for some time..........

From what I've read there are a few countries (ie Dominican Republic) that are not eligible due to the number of immigrants in the US and their Visa violation rate.....

.....according to the website.....they still are not eligible.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
That's so.............

On the application I saw on line 5:

5. Country Where You Were Born
then you can select "Dominican Republic"

.......they can sent you a letter telling you that "you do not qualify".....

From website: NOT ELIGIBLE:

BRAZIL, CANADA, CHINA (mainland-born), COLOMBIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, ECUADOR, EL SALVADOR, GUATEMALA, HAITI, INDIA, JAMAICA, MEXICO, PAKISTAN, PHILIPPINES, PERU, POLAND, RUSSIA, SOUTH KOREA, UNITED KINGDOM (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and VIETNAM. Persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are eligible.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
On the application I saw on line 5:

5. Country Where You Were Born
then you can select "Dominican Republic"

Yes but check line 6 "Country of Eligibility for the DV Program" the DR isn't there.

You said in your post;

Those who meet all the legal requirements and are lucky enough to be selected at random will be among the 50,000 people who will benefit by the permanent-residency lottery offered every year by Washington to citizens of countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.

So since it now take three years to immigrate to the US from the DR I wouldn't say that was a low rate of immigrates.

We don't want to give Dominican people false hope since this is a DR related site. ;)